Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2023, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vadaseri
I am not *G. Have Chase United Quest card. What do you think my chances of through checkin are? If things don't go as expected, I am prepared to re-checkin my bags at SIN, so packing my bags for the award ticket baggage limitation. Last time I had no issue with EVA+Thai.
  • SFO - SIN: UA revenue economy ticket with two checked bags (50 lbs / 23 kg each)
  • Layover: 2 hours
  • SIN - DEL: SQ award economy ticket with two checked bags (total 66 lbs / 30 kg)
  • Am I allowed to check my bags in at SFO until my final destination? Will UA at SFO do a through checkin?
  • If yes, am I allowed to check in two bags 50 lbs each? (not that important)
  • Wanna avoid re-checkin at SIN
A 2 hour transfer on separate tickets, likely between terminals, at SIN, is closer than I'd personally recommend. You might make it, or you might be declared a no-show due to a delay on your inbound flight. If your bags don't get checked through (which they probably will be), you have virtually no chance to make the connection.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:18 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by ani90
Next time at EWR don't waste time going to a check in kiosk or the Premier check in area. Just go to 'special handling' which is on the lower check-in floor at the very end and they will take care of it. Also need to give at least an hour buffer in case there is a line or the agent needs help. 30 mins is far too short a time to deal with complex needs that are outside the scope of the average UA check in agent.
Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:52 pm

Separate Tickets/Checking Bag Through

Originally Posted by cfischer
No issue in BOS today. UA award ticket to SYD in IN then a separate ticket on VA in coach to ADL. Bag was tagged through to ADL Here comes the crazy part ... UA was able to issue a BP for SYD-ADL
I wanted to ask about this. It looks like you had separate tickets (United award ticket to SYD, then paid ticket on VA) but United checked your bags through. Is that correct? Because VA isn't a StarAlliance member. I'm asking as I'm going to Europe, EWR to LHR on United Award ticket then LHR to NCE on BA paid cash for. I'd love to check bag through so that I don't have to go thru passport control, etc. because I have to collect my bag. My husband is United Premier Gold (using his miles). Not sure if that would help.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by benezet
I wanted to ask about this. It looks like you had separate tickets (United award ticket to SYD, then paid ticket on VA) but United checked your bags through. Is that correct? Because VA isn't a StarAlliance member. I'm asking as I'm going to Europe, EWR to LHR on United Award ticket then LHR to NCE on BA paid cash for. I'd love to check bag through so that I don't have to go thru passport control, etc. because I have to collect my bag. My husband is United Premier Gold (using his miles). Not sure if that would help.
I think UA and Virgin have a partner deal in Australia. UA will not treat a separate ticket w/ BA in the same manner. Sorry…

UA has partner airlines that are not Star Alliance airlines.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think UA and Virgin have a partner deal in Australia. UA will not treat a separate ticket w/ BA in the same manner. Sorry…

UA has partner airlines that are not Star Alliance airlines.
There are numerous reports that UA will make an exception to its policies to allow checking a bag through on multiple tickets for certain Premier levels. Gold may be sufficient; it's certainly worth asking about.

I hope there's a lot of time built in for a separate-ticket, change-of-terminal transfer at LHR though.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:56 am

Programs: *
I'm asking as I'm going to Europe, EWR to LHR on United Award ticket then LHR to NCE on BA paid cash for.
I would be more concerned about transfer of people than baggage with this itinerary. LHR generally not ideal for transfers and terminal 2 to terminal 5 is not a quick seamless transfer. I would say you should leave at least 3.5 hours between flights to be sure you can collect your backs and recheck if UA declines to check them through. Or why not just switch to an award ticket to NCE, through BRU for example- would it not be same miles?
Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
they are checking through to VA on separate tickets; they are even able to issue BP. VA is very different from BA though ... they can check through to BA, but you will need a very willing agent to bend the rules.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 10:28 am

We actually have 4.25 hours for the connection time, so I think we should be fine. The other good thing is BA lets you switch your ticket the day of with no fee, and there is an another BA flight LHR to NCE 3 hours after our flight. So I am basically trying to just avoid the hassle of doing customs/passports at LHR rather than being worried about making our LHR to NCE flight. We also bought BA tickets that include one checked bag, so not trying to avoid bag fee.

United and other Star Alliance airlines don't have any direct flights from LHR to NCE or CDG to NCE. So if we only booked on United/Star Alliance partners for award travel or even paid travel we would have had to connect in a different city in Europe other than LHR or CDG before getting to NCE. I didn't love any of the other choices for connecting cities, especially timing, and was worried that some didn't have later flights to NCE that day if missed the original connecting flight. (I know United would have been responsible for new flight to NCE but still would have missed time in Nice.) We also got amazing deal--only 18,000 miles per flight, so only 36,000 RT per person. The flight EWR to CDG was a lot more miles, so decided to do LHR instead on our outbound flight, but are flying home CDG to EWR (and taking train to Paris/CDG from Nice, as felt more comfortable with that than flight NCE to CDG).

Thanks everyone!
jsloan, SPN Lifer and uanj like this.

Last edited by benezet; Feb 15, 2023 at 12:28 pm
Old Feb 17, 2023, 3:52 pm

LAX-SFO in paid UA Y - no UA or *A status, credit cards, etc.
SFO-SIN in J using SQ KF miles

One checked bag.

If I check-in at LAX, bag should be checked through to SIN due to *A.
What is the baggage allowance? My assumption is that since US DOT First Marketing Carrier applies, I have to pay for the bag at LAX. Do I lose out on SQ J free bags due to FMC and will have to pay twice?

If I get a UA Explorer with free checked bags, does that eliminate the fees on both legs? Or just the UA leg since they are FMC and the UA free checked bag only applies to the UA flight?
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brgr
LAX-SFO in paid UA Y - no UA or *A status, credit cards, etc.
SFO-SIN in J using SQ KF miles

One checked bag.

If I check-in at LAX, bag should be checked through to SIN due to *A.
What is the baggage allowance? My assumption is that since US DOT First Marketing Carrier applies, I have to pay for the bag at LAX. Do I lose out on SQ J free bags due to FMC and will have to pay twice?

If I get a UA Explorer with free checked bags, does that eliminate the fees on both legs? Or just the UA leg since they are FMC and the UA free checked bag only applies to the UA flight?
First Marketing Carrier doesn’t apply, because you’re on two separate tickets. In fact, there’s no policy for what your bags should cost, because and the people who regulate the airline industry don’t seem to know much about how its practicalities.

In practice, if you book the UA flight with your Explorer Card, you’ll at least get the first bag free. My guess is that you will get two bags free regardless, because UA will use their rules for business class to Singapore, but it is only a guess based upon the way that they handle the bag tags.
SPN Lifer and brgr like this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:46 pm

im flying a relocation flight from LAX-ORD on united then ORD-IST on turkish. I will be arriving 6 hours early to the 2nd flight, does anyone know if united will transfer baggage directly to my next flight?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 11:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by taiga
im flying a relocation flight from LAX-ORD on united then ORD-IST on turkish. I will be arriving 6 hours early to the 2nd flight, does anyone know if united will transfer baggage directly to my next flight?
Yes, unless this is overnight in ORD. Allow a little extra time in LAX for the UA agent to handle this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, unless this is overnight in ORD. Allow a little extra time in LAX for the UA agent to handle this.
And when at ORD: at the TK check-in counter or ORD-IST gate, have the TK handling agents note the bag tag info in the TK record. It may not be necessary for the luggage to be loaded properly, but it can minimize the chances of the bag not being loaded onto the ORD-IST flights (and/or any onward flight from IST) as originally tagged by UA.
SPN Lifer and cheltzel like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 4:21 am

Booked on UA929 ORD-LHR on upcoming trip in June arriving 06:45. Thinking of booking LX317 on separate ticket departing 08:40 for ZRH with onward connection to BCN. Looks like MCT in LHR is 60 min for my routing. Assuming I can get UA to check bag through to BCN (will plan extra time at ticket counter), am I safe to book my Economy Light ticket on SWISS without paying for checked bag? I am UA 1K status.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Booked on UA929 ORD-LHR on upcoming trip in June arriving 06:45. Thinking of booking LX317 on separate ticket departing 08:40 for ZRH with onward connection to BCN. Looks like MCT in LHR is 60 min for my routing. Assuming I can get UA to check bag through to BCN (will plan extra time at ticket counter), am I safe to book my Economy Light ticket on SWISS without paying for checked bag? I am UA 1K status.
Light fares on Swiss does not get the Star Alliance Gold free bag. So you'd have to pay for the bag on Swiss.

MCT is for a single ticket, since your connection will not be protected in case of a delayed arrival, or airport processing requiring more time to get from plane to gate any misconnect is at your own risk and cost. I would put more than 60 minutes between flights.
AirbusFan2B likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.