Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Flying LAS-ORD (UA, tix 1), ORD-ARN (SK, tix 2). Would UA be willing to check the bags all the way thru ARN; and would they be able to get the BP printed? I believe SK does not offer OLCI for US flights
I did a similar thing last month (except DEN-ORD-ARN). If you find a competent agent, you should be able to get your bags checked through. I started in DEN, so the odds of finding a competent agent was on the higher side, but I'm sure LAS has some too.

I was able to check-in on-line for our SK flights; however, I was unable to get the phone boarding pass to render correctly (which showed TSA Pre-Check). When I printed out the boarding pass from SK's website, TSA Pre-Check was nowhere to be found on it. I had to go to the SK check-in desk at ORD T5 to get it re-printed (which showed Pre-Check).
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Newbie
8 hours layover - they won’t let you

I just checked in at JFK And they didn’t let me check in all the way to MNL. I had to tickets. jFK-San Francisco Airport-nrt-bkk on the first ticket on United metal in business class and Thai Air on the last leg arriving at 10pm in BKK. Second ticket is Thai airways from BKK to MNL in econ leaving at 8:30am at BKK. They said they cannot tag them all the way to Manila coz the layover is more than 8 hours.

Last edited by chummy23; Jul 30, 2022 at 4:08 am Reason: Edit title
Old Jul 30, 2022, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chummy23
I just checked in at JFK And they didn’t let me check in all the way to MNL. I had to tickets. jFK-San Francisco Airport-nrt-bkk on the first ticket on United metal in business class and Thai Air on the last leg arriving at 10pm in BKK. Second ticket is Thai airways from BKK to MNL in econ leaving at 8:30am at BKK. They said they cannot tag them all the way to Manila coz the layover is more than 8 hours.
I believe the policy is that they won't check a bag through if the layover is more than 12 hours or overnight. It's the latter one that's hurting you.

You can ask a Thai Airways representative at NRT if they can reroute the bag for you; no guarantees, but it might be possible.
kevino and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chummy23
The denial was per policy but the overnight layover was the reason, not the time duration
You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
The denial was by the computer and the staff probably did not research the issue and made up a reason..
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Newbie
Originally Posted by jsloan
I believe the policy is that they won't check a bag through if the layover is more than 12 hours or overnight. It's the latter one that's hurting you.

You can ask a Thai Airways representative at NRT if they can reroute the bag for you; no guarantees, but it might be possible.

thank you for the suggestion. This one worked! The agent in Narita went above and beyond to help me. She was able to route my bags to Manila.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:37 pm

Yes or No on UA interlining with *A partners?

I've gotten conflicting info on this question. The UA website seems to suggest that even with a separately ticketed connecting flight, UA will check bags through to final destination (or at least the first destination abroad). However, I just called UA to confirm that's the case before I book a UA flight from BNA-EWR and a separate flight on TAP Air Portugal from EWR-OPO and I was told that the two flights have to be *on the same confirmation* to be checked all the way through. How can two separately book tickets be on the same confirmation? I'm I missing something here? Help!
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Kijimuna

Originally Posted by Kijimuna
.. The UA website seems to suggest that even with a separately ticketed connecting flight, UA will check bags through to final destination (or at least the first destination abroad). However, I just called UA to confirm that's the case before I book a UA flight from BNA-EWR and a separate flight on TAP Air Portugal from EWR-OPO and I was told that the two flights have to be *on the same confirmation* to be checked all the way through. ...
As long as the EWR stop is less than 12 hours or not overnight,and neither ticket is Basic Economy it will be fine. This is an area where the non-airport agents may not be fully trained on.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As long as the EWR stop is less than 12 hours or not overnight,and neither ticket is Basic Economy it will be fine. This is an area where the non-airport agents may not be fully trained on.
Thanks. That's what I kinda thought, but I didn't what to contradict him. I did read elsewhere, however, that to be on the safe side, it's a good idea to have a travel agent arrange the two separate reservations on the same PNR. Truth be told, I want to go with just carry-on, but I don't think I can convince my wife to do so....
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kijimuna
Thanks. That's what I kinda thought, but I didn't what to contradict him. I did read elsewhere, however, that to be on the safe side, it's a good idea to have a travel agent arrange the two separate reservations on the same PNR. Truth be told, I want to go with just carry-on, but I don't think I can convince my wife to do so....
A quick read of this thread will show, other than a slight delay in check-i, there are no issues interlining bags with UA and an *A partner. The getting a TA to create a single PNR with two separate tickets probably will not help without the extra step at check-in anyway.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:30 pm

Got it. Thanks for your insights on this. Much appreciated!
Old Aug 23, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: United 1K
Separate tickets IAD-ATH connecting to ATH-JTR

We are flying United from IAD to ATH on paid business class tickets. I have purchased separate award tickets using United miles for our flight from ATH to JTR on Aegean Air. It appeared at first glance that it would be no problem for United to check our bags through to JTR since Aegean is *A. However, in beginning of Wiki feed I noticed this condition:

Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
We will technically be traveling internationally (IAD-ATH) and connecting to a domestic flight (ATH-JTR) in our destination country (Greece). Anyone have any experience interlining their bag in a similar situation? Based on other posts this condition doesn't seem to be strictly applied but thought I'd see if others who had made similar journeys through ATH had any knowledge. Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: United 1K
To circle back - bags were checked at 1K/Polaris counter at Dulles with no fanfare (although it took a nearby supervisor or more senior employee to do it).
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Luggage interline between UA and TK on two separate tickets

I have a flight SFO-DFW this Saturday with UA. The same day, 3.5h later I have a flight from DFW to IST with TK. These are two award separate tickets.

Would UA's checking staff at SFO be able to check our two suitcases to the final destination with TK?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by invisible
I have a flight SFO-DFW this Saturday with UA. The same day, 3.5h later I have a flight from DFW to IST with TK. These are two award separate tickets.

Would UA's checking staff at SFO be able to check our two suitcases to the final destination with TK?
Since TK is a Star Alliance Partner, yes, you should be able to. Interline baggage check-in is not a usual request and will require manual intervention by a trained agent. You should plan on check-in taking more time than usual.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by sannmann
Since TK is a Star Alliance Partner, yes, you should be able to. Interline baggage check-in is not a usual request and will require manual intervention by a trained agent. You should plan on check-in taking more time than usual.
PSA for those who will do such interlining in SFO - make sure that more than enough time.

It took 45 minutes for the agent at the Additional Services section (close to door #12) and she had to call and request assistance - she requested my original ticket receipts from both reservations showing the booking classes and reservation and ticket numbers. Then, it took another 25 min to clear TSE Pre.
Good that we arrived 2.5h before departure.

P.S. Well, they lost the bag. Now am chasing two airlines across two continents to trace it.

Last edited by invisible; Sep 19, 2022 at 5:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.