FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:51 am
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chummy23
I just checked in at JFK And they didn’t let me check in all the way to MNL. I had to tickets. jFK-San Francisco Airport-nrt-bkk on the first ticket on United metal in business class and Thai Air on the last leg arriving at 10pm in BKK. Second ticket is Thai airways from BKK to MNL in econ leaving at 8:30am at BKK. They said they cannot tag them all the way to Manila coz the layover is more than 8 hours.
The denial was per policy but the overnight layover was the reason, not the time duration
You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
The denial was by the computer and the staff probably did not research the issue and made up a reason..