Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by JBEagle1000G
This is starting to sound deliberate.
They don't like the extra effort/cost involved in having a legit GlobalFirst product.
What did SMI/J say? Diminished returns?
If they make First Class suck enough, ticket sales will go down, and they can claim, "oh look, nobody's buying F. We better get rid of it since it doesn't sell."
Well why does it not sell?
Because you won't make it a worthwhile product?
I've seen similar things at companies I've worked at before.
They downplay a product or service, with the express interest of getting rid of it either because it costs them too much to put forth a competitive effort. Or even because of something so petty as individuals at the company simply having a personal disdain for the product's mere existence.
Maybe deliberate, but given that many carriers around the world are ditching F and going all-C for premium cabins, I'm not sure it's necessarily a bad decision. Most people are perfectly happy with C.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by entropy
UA doesn't have an F product worth paying for, period, while the C product is good enough. Buying F when its cheaper than C doesn't really count.

Once you have lie-flat in C, you eliminate 90% of the business case for F for the vast majority of customers. Sure, you have the token snob here or there that expounds on how nice the 'privacy' is. You're on a common carrier, not a private jet. And of course, the F&B on carriers with real F is much better, but if I'm on a 7 hour TATL o/n, I don't really need a 2 hour luxury meal, I'd rather just sleep.

Exactly. I just did EWR pek in C and had the FA wake me for meals, other than that it was a 12 hour snooze test. GF would have been a total waste, either paid or upgraded. Getting rid of it is indeed the industry trend.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
Once you have lie-flat in C, you eliminate 90% of the business case for F for the vast majority of customers. Sure, you have the token snob here or there that expounds on how nice the 'privacy' is. You're on a common carrier, not a private jet.
If every one of your competitors is offering a seat with 'privacy', then the snob population becomes much bigger than token. People want the best product for the money, and that is the new going forward 'best product' whether you agree with its necessity or not.

GF gives UA a buffer on that metric right now. If that buffer goes away, IMO they need a better product if they don't want to lose (more) GS pax & high-$$ traffic.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Exactly. I just did EWR pek in C and had the FA wake me for meals, other than that it was a 12 hour snooze test. GF would have been a total waste, either paid or upgraded. Getting rid of it is indeed the industry trend.
It depends.

If you paid $4000 P/Z fare, BF is totally fine for IAD-PEK.

However, if it's $9000-$19000 C/D/J fare, I would want to upgrade to GF.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond, SPG Gold (lifetime)
I flew SYD-SFO (enroute to EWR) in GF on an upgrade a few months ago. Felt totally ripped off even though it did not cost me a dime. Just focus on not letting the BF get too shabby and I will be happy. In the gap at the start of next year before UA goes to $ based points, I am going to give Delta a try (they are starting $ based on Jan 1).
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
All you have to do is stand between GF and UA 2-4-2 business class on a 777 and there is a huge difference. When you look back from GF and see four men in the 4 across - it looks like 4 men in a king sized bed. UA GF is a decent seat - although not as good as some other international carriers.

The BF product, from CO, is good, but the density only gives you a small cubby hole for your feet. Again - not similar to GF.

What Rainey should be saying is that UA does not have the demand to justify a separate First product, but that UA is planning to introduce a new business class with all seats having aisle access (similar to AA's new J products).
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: aa, ua 1k
Originally Posted by rzsionak
I agree with you that UA probably doesn't sell a lot of these seats, particularly on routes that are more leisurely in nature. That being said, sales in general are very hard and every sale matters, particularly at an airline that has profitability issues. Being able to price discriminate customer sales matters to overall company revenue at any company and there are people that will buy GF if it's available and if the product is properly presented. Having the CFO undermining that sales process is not good for business.
If a FTer hadn't seen or heard about Rainey's remarks they wouldn't have made a ripple in United's customer base. Now that a segment of UA FTers have heard them they won't make a ripple in United's customer base.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cova
What Rainey should be saying is that UA does not have the demand to justify a separate First product, but that UA is planning to introduce a new business class with all seats having aisle access (similar to AA's new J products).
And similar to what DL started years ago. It was a little freaky at first but when the 2-cabin arrangement was deployed, it actually worked. They dumped intl F and replaced their biz cabins with 1-2-1 all-aisle lie-flats. Now they are adding intl wi-fi.

DL knew they couldn’t sell enough intl F seats to make a product competitive with some others but they sure have been selling their BE cabin, one reason DL is so profitable. Seats may be pricier than UA but you get a lot more. Worth it to some, not to others.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
And similar to what DL started years ago. It was a little freaky at first but when the 2-cabin arrangement was deployed, it actually worked. They dumped intl F and replaced their biz cabins with 1-2-1 all-aisle lie-flats. Now they are adding intl wi-fi.

DL knew they couldn’t sell enough intl F seats to make a product competitive with some others but they sure have been selling their BE cabin, one reason DL is so profitable. Seats may be pricier than UA but you get a lot more. Worth it to some, not to others.
You're a little charitable in interpretation of Delta history. DL dumped international F in 1998, a few years after NW & KLM. Delta didn't start with aisle-access lie-flats in Business until 777-200LR deliveries commenced in 2009, and didn't finish (all intercon widebodies) until May of this year. That DL is now 'done' with the long haul fleet (lie-flats in Business and AVOD throughout coach) is still a good thing.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ClayPot
If a FTer hadn't seen or heard about Rainey's remarks they wouldn't have made a ripple in United's customer base. Now that a segment of UA FTers have heard them they won't make a ripple in United's customer base.
Except that, you know, it is perfectly endemic of UA's continued underperformance relative to its peers :-:
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
You have no idea whether they are selling their BE cabin and you have no idea whether it is contributing to profitability!

Originally Posted by harryhood
Maybe deliberate, but given that many carriers around the world are ditching F and going all-C for premium cabins, I'm not sure it's necessarily a bad decision. Most people are perfectly happy with C.
Well to be accurate. Most people are perfectly happy with Y.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 9, 2014 at 5:58 am
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: AADULtArer
When you look back from GF and see four men in the 4 across - it looks like 4 men in a king sized bed.
You would rather have four men in your bed than a GF?

Nothing wrong with that choice, just saying...
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cova
This would have been a completely appropriate manner in which to discuss the impending demise of GF. Unfortunately, Rainey doesn't seem to have the ability to deliver a message in a positive manner.

I hope he's a better CFO than PR flack.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by 5khours
Most people are perfectly happy with Y.
Nonsense -- most people are forced to live with it, that's all.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Nothing wrong with that choice, just saying...
And that's coming from a sailor!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.