Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by BearX220
Nonsense -- most people are forced to live with it, that's all.
Same can be said of J and F. Who would be happy being cramped in a tiny cubicle in a plastic/aluminum tube for 12 hours with insufficient oxygen.

The point being that ...the original statement "most people are perfectly happy in J" only makes sense in the context of other options.

People are "happy" in J only in the context of not being able to afford or not wanting to pay a lot extra for GF. Just like people choose to sit in Y because they don't want to pay for J.

The assertions in this thread that there is no reason to fly GF or that the seats are almost the same, or that J is perfectly fine are nonsense. Everybody would pick UA GF over UA J if they could afford it.

The issue is not whether UA GF is better than UA J. The issue is that UA GF is no longer competitive when for the same price there are much better options for F on LH, NH, CX, EK, etc.

(And if we're really honest 90% of the people currently flying J would be "perfectly happy" in Y if they were paying for the ticket with their own money rather than OPM.)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
He is correct. There are a lot of people on FT who remember the old days of international first class and want those days back - but it ain't happening. As a good FTer I would rather have more BF seats on the plane in order to increase my upgrade chances. Screw GF. Anyone who is going to pay for GF isn't going to fly a US airline anyway.
2 points of disagreement.

1) I remember International First from 20 or more years ago. In many cases not as good as International Business now. No lie flat seats. I remember the first time I encountered a lie flat seat was in the early 90s on SQ and they had just introduced them.

IMO, the reason that First and Business are not all that much different is not that First has deteriorated, but rather that Business has become much better. Lie flat seats for Business? Unheard of 10 or 20 years ago.

2) I can't comment on the difference in food because a) I don't each much and b) none of it is all that great. But there is a significant difference in seats. More length (my feet are always pushing against the wall in front of me in business), more width (for some of us that's important), mattress pad (not much but it helps), more storage at seat level, etc.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by channa
And that's coming from a sailor!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by cova
All you have to do is stand between GF and UA 2-4-2 business class on a 777 and there is a huge difference. When you look back from GF and see four men in the 4 across - it looks like 4 men in a king sized bed. UA GF is a decent seat - although not as good as some other international carriers.

The BF product, from CO, is good, but the density only gives you a small cubby hole for your feet. Again - not similar to GF.

What Rainey should be saying is that UA does not have the demand to justify a separate First product, but that UA is planning to introduce a new business class with all seats having aisle access (similar to AA's new J products).
Can't get that vision of 4 men in a bed out of my head. Thanks a bunch.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
I like to refer to BF as youth hostel class. Y+ is refugee class and y- steerage.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
(And if we're really honest 90% of the people currently flying J would be "perfectly happy" in Y if they were paying for the ticket with their own money rather than OPM.)
"Ay, there’s the rub!"
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Can't get that vision of 4 men in a bed out of my head. Thanks a bunch.
Yup, that sealed it for me..... the perfect way to summarize the middle 4 seat design blunder!

Delta is providing all aisle access in BF, and UA has four men in a king sized bed!!!!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:09 am

BF good enough for me

There's no point in defending Global F. It is as good as dead. BF is the new F, and there's no point in arguing it when you are not flying on OPM. I cannot even defend the cost of BF from a personal expense standpoint. Seriously--- $5-7K for an international flight versus a new 80 inch 4K widescreen and still get there in Y?

Best value in the air is a Y ticket to Asia--- $1000 plus or minus a few hundred. I wish my employer would pay me 1/2 the difference between Y and C. 8 trips a year and I'd be driving a nice old Porsche on weekend!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by halls120
This would have been a completely appropriate manner in which to discuss the impending demise of GF. Unfortunately, Rainey doesn't seem to have the ability to deliver a message in a positive manner.

I hope he's a better CFO than PR flack.
The corporate culture at UA must really encourage sarcastic wit. Rainey-- the guy who brought us "over-entitled" into the FT lexicon!!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
You have no idea whether they are selling their BE cabin and you have no idea whether it is contributing to profitability!

Well to be accurate. Most people are perfectly happy with Y.
No way. There is NO ONE perfectly happy on a 14 hour flight in Y. Can you sit in a chair-- 17" wide, with a seatback nearly in your face at home for that long? Perfectly Happy..... more like grudgingly tolerant.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by tryathlete
No way. There is NO ONE perfectly happy on a 14 hour flight in Y. Can you sit in a chair-- 17" wide, with a seatback nearly in your face at home for that long? Perfectly Happy..... more like grudgingly tolerant.
But Y fliers are perfectly happy with the money they are saving.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by austin_res
But Y fliers are perfectly happy with the money they are saving.
Not necessarily if it is OPM.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Ive got two petite assistants who are perfectly comfortable in Y unlike LardButt Boss. I think precious few sit for a full 14 hour flight.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
and UA has four men in a king sized bed!!!!
It's a fantasy for some.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Ive got two petite assistants who are perfectly comfortable in Y unlike LardButt Boss. I think precious few sit for a full 14 hour flight.
Yeah,

I like to go to the club and get a quick workout in every few hours. The pool and sauna are awesome. There is a VERY serious lack of standing room other than in aft pass through on 744. Exit row upper deck is like a tiny office from port to starboard.

Back on topic-- flying in Y sucks period. Greyhound busses have more seating room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.