Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24% 1K CPU rate (SFO-based) typical?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The problem is that there are two lists. To understand how CPUs get doled out, see the wikipost here, which addresses your questions in the FAQ section: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2013-a-49.html
But since the standby list criteria are (1) premier status, (2) fare class, and (3) check-in time, then hard to understand why OP's colleague cleared while OP did not.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
No.

The problem is that there are two lists. To understand how CPUs get doled out, see the wikipost here, which addresses your questions in the FAQ section: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2013-a-49.html
If I have more lifetime miles and we are on the same booking class and I checked in first, how could he leapfrog me? We have the same admin that booked the flight at the same time...

The mention from that thread only states the two lists are by status and booking class.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
But since the standby list criteria are (1) premier status, (2) fare class, and (3) check-in time, then hard to understand why OP's colleague cleared while OP did not.
Originally Posted by CashN
If I have more lifetime miles and we are on the same booking class and I checked in first, how could he leapfrog me? .....
Lifetime miles do not matter unless it changes status level.

There two lists -- the third factor on one is check in time (gate list - the visible list) and the third factor on the other is booking time (pre-gate list).

If the other person cleared on off the pre-gate list, was booked first but checked in second, it would explain the situation.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Colleague cleared an EUA upgrade. EUA tie-breaker is time of booking.

If I have more lifetime miles and we are on the same booking class and I checked in first, how could he leapfrog me? We have the same admin that booked the flight at the same time...

The mention from that thread only states the two lists are by status and booking class.
Lifetime miles are irrelevant.

What do you mean by "at the same time"?

Please see the wikipost in that thread. It has all the answers.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Colleague cleared an EUA upgrade. EUA tie-breaker is time of booking.
I was assuming based on facts as described that colleague cleared at the gate. But that's an assumption.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Lifetime miles do not matter unless it changes status level.

There two lists -- the third factor on one is check in time (gate list - the visible list) and the third factor on the other is booking time (pre-gate list).

If the other person cleared on off the pre-gate list, was booked first but checked in second, it would explain the situation.
Jesus, so if he was booked 45 seconds before me it trumps the check in time? I guess I'm going to tell the admin to book me first going forward.

He did have the tsa pre check and beat me through the gate by a few minutes. Amazing how little I get pre check anymore, I guess I can't blame united for that...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I was assuming based on facts as described that colleague cleared at the gate. But that's an assumption.
You can clear off the pre-gate / EUA list as late as hour or so prior to departure, based on previous order skipping reports. So it can feel almost like clearing at gate, cleared while just arriving at the airport (this happen once to me and I was #3) or while in travel to the airport (happened more than once).

Jesus, so if he was booked 45 seconds before me it trumps the check in time? .....
as said there are two lists, one active until a hour or so before travel (booking time matters) and one that principal is used at the gate (check in time matters).

What you tell the Admin is up to what you did last Admin's day
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:19 pm

Jesus, so if he was booked 45 seconds before me it trumps the check in time? I guess I'm going to tell the admin to book me first going forward.

He did have the tsa pre check and beat me through the gate by a few minutes. Amazing how little I get pre check anymore, I guess I can't blame united for that...
You think check-in time is a better tiebreaker? I don't. Not sure why 45 seconds is any less "before" than any other time lapse. You can't tie - that's why it's a tiebreaker.

As for PreCheck, get Global Entry and that problem is solved.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: United Platinum, American EXP
There's another crucial point in favor of the OP in response to the earlier debate with IAH-OIL on what's typical. Let's say that half of all the capacity out of SFO is on flights with easy upgrades and half is on flights where the going is tough. The half that is tough is much more likely to be typical for elites out of SFO because it is much more likely to be elite heavy, no? Many people in the First cabin get there via elite-only channels such as Y/B/M-ups, instruments, and CPUs. I struggle to think of a route where upgrades are tough, but elite loads are light. By this same logic, the SFO experience as a whole is more likely to be typical for a 1K than the MCO experience (for example). On average, I suspect that things are even worse than we are acknowledging. Hawaii-SFO is a red herring WRT elite exposure, IAD-SFO is the norm.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:45 pm

I travel to SFO sometimes, via EWR. I used my RPUs for those trips this year, and I'm 3 for 4.

Other than SFO, I travel mostly on routes that have somewhat less traffic in summer months. Until mid-June, I traveled mostly on 738s and 739s, and my CPU rate was 94%, >30 segments. I now see 737s and 320s, and my CPU rate is 0% (0 for 4).
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:50 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

It is not when you or the admin clicks the purchase button, it is the time of when UA's system tickets you. If you want to be sure you are first, then have the admin hold off booking your colleague's flight until your booking has been ticketed (can take anywhere from a few seconds up to an hour).
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:42 pm

You think check-in time is a better tiebreaker? I don't. Not sure why 45 seconds is any less "before" than any other time lapse. You can't tie - that's why it's a tiebreaker.

As for PreCheck, get Global Entry and that problem is solved.

I think lifetime miles would be a much better tie breaker than booking date. Still amazed that they can track to the minute on booking date in their mess of an upgrade system.

I hear global entry doesn't guarentee pre check either? I went to do it once but got stuck in traffic heading to LAX and missed my appointment by a few minutes. I wish you could make an appointment at smaller airports.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
I think lifetime miles would be a much better tie breaker than booking date. Still amazed that they can track to the minute on booking date in their mess of an upgrade system.

I hear global entry doesn't guarentee pre check either? I went to do it once but got stuck in traffic heading to LAX and missed my appointment by a few minutes. I wish you could make an appointment at smaller airports.
Tracking ticketing time down to much higher resolution than the minute is both trivial for a database and necessary for whole bunch of other tasks. As for precheck, that's correct. Absolutely nothing guarantees precheck.

In the event that we're still talking about the original thread anywhere, I'm about 15% this year on upgrades, including an impressive 0% on my standard Monday morning to Thursday afternoon ORD-SFO RT on mid-tier fares. There are some situations where if the entire F cabin no-showed, I still wouldn't make it. Like everyone says, it all depends on route and time. In my case, I doubt if AA would be any better.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
OP here. Based on the posts so far, it sounds as if the 24% CPU rate is not unusual. I was thinking it might be a bit of an outlier.
My upgrade percentage out of DEN is about 35% and that includes a lot of M and B fares and using 10 RPUs.

If I subtract all of that out, my CPU upgrade % is around 20%.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:16 pm

Booking time is tracked by ticket number. Mega super duper easy to do.

The self-reported PreCheck success rate for those of us with GE is 98-100%. I think 100% is the mode. It is essentially guaranteed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.