Wiki Posts
Search

24% 1K CPU rate (SFO-based) typical?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Since you aren't SFO-based, you really have zero basis for comparison.
My.Upgrades.In.And.Out.Of.SFO.Are.80+%. That is not relevant? Gee.

I think I took out everything else. What brings me down are the occasional non-CPUs between IAH and SFO. Again, routes and timing affect upgrade percentages, leading to different results for different people in/out of SFO. The differences between your CPU success and mine (both restricted to SFO flights) is a testament to that.

If you want to sit there and speak for most 1Ks and tell them that their CPU success rate is about 25%, that's pretty imperial of you.

Again, please post the data (besides yours) that support your assertion that most 1Ks have a 25% CPU success rate in/out SFO.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:28 pm
Used to be 'TheManWhoFlewTooMuch'

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Delta Diamond emeritus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
I fly SFO-ORD, SFO-SAN, SFO-PHX, and SFO-EWR on a frequent basis, and my success rate this year is 6.6%.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
2010 - 84% success - 1K
2011 - 85% success - 1K
2012 - 81% success - 1K
2013 - 49% success - 1K
2014 YTD - 6% success - Gold

These are all upgrades - CPU and instrument supported. Same basic travel patterns.

Numbers speak for themselves.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Again, please post the data (besides yours) that support your assertion that most 1Ks have a 25% CPU success rate in/out SFO.
There are plenty of other 1K fliers in this forum that have very similar upgrade rates to myself, if not worse. My experience does not seem to be an anomaly. Apparently upgrades are easier to come by on the routes that you fly, but that is no means a typical experience either. My non-instrument supported upgrade percentage is right around 25%, and there are many other 1K fliers in my situation.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
There are plenty of other 1K fliers in this forum that have very similar upgrade rates to myself, if not worse. My experience does not seem to be an anomaly. Apparently upgrades are easier to come by on the routes that you fly, but that is no means a typical experience either. My non-instrument supported upgrade percentage is right around 25%, and there are many other 1K fliers in my situation.
The only one who is saying that they're typical is you, and you've given no evidence for that.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
It really does depend the routes you fly and when you are in the air. I was doing lots of Monday morning to Thursday evening hub to hub domestic travel. In my experience those are the toughest routes and times and you really have to be purchasing H or higher to have a shot as a 1K. If you fly a few hours later on a Monday or leave earlier on a Thursday your rates will improve drastically. AA and Delta don't prioritize lower elites on higher fares over higher elites like UA does.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The only one who is saying that they're typical is you, and you've given no evidence for that.
My personal experience is the evidence I have. And there are several other 1K's on this very thread (including the OP) with similar experience that mirrors my own.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:09 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Ex-PIT, I have failed all upgrades this year. Upgrade lists are now usually over 30 for the flights I take out of PIT (ORD, IAH, LAX) and I always fail on the IAD flights. I was once dead last on the upgrade list as 1K to IAD (#6 and several people were on the cleared list).

My CPU rate flying a rather diverse pattern is around 40%.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat
1K out of the midwest (LAN) - Ignoring International....

10 flights w/o first. 8 flights CPUable, 3 gotten = 37%

So pretty miserable here too.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Since you aren't SFO-based, you really have zero basis for comparison.
I'm SFO based. I would consider 24% very low. I'm around 75%. I don't fly domestic that frequently and probably do somewhat better than most SFO-based business travelers.

btw, I don't believe DL is much if any better for domestic upgrades. Go spend some time on the DL forum.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm SFO based. I would consider 24% very low. I'm around 75%. I don't fly domestic that frequently and probably do somewhat better than most SFO-based business travelers.

btw, I don't believe DL is much if any better for domestic upgrades. Go spend some time on the DL forum.
I have an ORD-based friend who is a lowly Silver on DL and he gets upgrade on almost all his flights. YMMV.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have an ORD-based friend who is a lowly Silver on DL and he gets upgrade on almost all his flights. YMMV.
Well that settles it then. We might as well all go home!

lol
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Well that settles it then. We might as well all go home!

lol
yeah but if it means moving to ORD , count me out.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm around 75%. I don't fly domestic that frequently and probably do somewhat better than most SFO-based business travelers.
How many domestic segments is that 75% on? Really can't see the whole picture without the total numbers. Someone with only 4 segments would show a very different picture than someone with 40.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
How many domestic segments is that 75% on? Really can't see the whole picture without the total numbers. Someone with only 4 segments would show a very different picture than someone with 40.
As a GS out of LAX, I am only 8 of 23 (~35%)...most of these are LAX-IAD or LAX-BOS. With AA, I am 19 out of 20 to ORD, BOS and NYC (I missed one because of a broken seat...AA in BOS gave me a whole row for myself and fed and watered me...well, maybe something a little stronger...the whole flight!...I did not miss F!!)

All I can say is for this GS, the difference has been dramatic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.