Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24% 1K CPU rate (SFO-based) typical?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:29 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Kacee
Two weeks ago I cleared SFO-SAN at T-24 both directions on a Q, Friday evening/Sunday evening.
The last time I flew that route, on CR7, I was #10 of 12 on a Saturday

It ended up being one of the more joyful flights I had in Y and I had 3 or 4 drinks on that flight that were comped Vacation is my excuse for my excessive drinking on that flight

Last edited by golfingboy; Jun 27, 2014 at 3:16 pm
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boghopper
I wouldn't mix instrument and CPU together, they are completely different.
Yes I concur. Particularly since many of us book international or ps based on R availability.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
Another SFO based 1k anecdote. I'm around 20-25%, with low fare class (K or lower) with primarily Mid con (ORD, IAH, AUS) and Transcon (EWR). The only upgrades I receive at the upgrade window are short hops (SFO-LAX, SFO-BOI).

United has been successful in resetting my expectations. I do not expect to be upgraded. My objective now is to have a exit row/economy plus seat with the middle seat open.

While do not fly DL as much, my upgrade % is about 60-65%, including a couple of SFO-ATL flights (as a Platinum).
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
OP here. Based on the posts so far, it sounds as if the 24% CPU rate is not unusual. I was thinking it might be a bit of an outlier.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
OP here. Based on the posts so far, it sounds as if the 24% CPU rate is not unusual. I was thinking it might be a bit of an outlier.
It's not unusual, but there is a range based on your flight patterns and timing. You wouldn't therefore not call it typical, though.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:02 pm

SFO is a tough route IMO if going hub to hub. I usually fly SFO / ORD 1-2 times a month. I've had 0 upgrades this year out of 7 flights departing SFO and only 1 upgrade on the 5 flights departing ORD to SFO. So about 14% for me for a SFO departure.

The flight from two weeks ago, SFO - ORD was a M fare and I was #14 on the list. Usually if going out to SFO, I get there mid-week and depart SFO on a Friday.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:45 pm

SFO is full of 1Ks and a GS members. If you are gold/silver its basically winning the lottery to get upgraded. Even at Platinum/1K its luck of the draw.

Since DL/AA do not have SFO hub its easier to get upgrades overall, but routing may not be as good.

I am on track to hit 1K again this year, but will likely match to Delta or AA then move most of my flights over after March. The new mileage program is one thing, but also having to suffer the constant service cuts is a whole another thing. At least with DL or AA I have better in-flight experiences.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Upgrading out of a hub is just harder under the new United. I'm a DEN-based 1k and I'm 7 out of 35 (20%).
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by olouie
SFO is full of 1Ks and a GS members. If you are gold/silver its basically winning the lottery to get upgraded. Even at Platinum/1K its luck of the draw.

Since DL/AA do not have SFO hub its easier to get upgrades overall, but routing may not be as good.

I am on track to hit 1K again this year, but will likely match to Delta or AA then move most of my flights over after March. The new mileage program is one thing, but also having to suffer the constant service cuts is a whole another thing. At least with DL or AA I have better in-flight experiences.
I just flew my last flight as an NYC-based DL FO (silver). I was upgraded on 8 of 10 upgradeable flights. I will now be DL gold.

NYC is definitely a DL hub and I always flew on the least expensive fare available (although some trips were expensive because booked at the last minute.

Obviously, NYC and SFO are two different markets with different market dynamics, but the last time I was a CO elite (gold) I went 0 for 25 on upgrades.

I think at least some of this has to do with each airline's approach to upgrades.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: UAL 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by PBAudit
United has been successful in resetting my expectations. I do not expect to be upgraded. My objective now is to have a exit row/economy plus seat with the middle seat open.
Same here except I do not remember the last time the middle seat was open next to me.

Upgrades are really rare for me now. Especially at hubs or at large conferences.

A lot of times middle exit will remain open only to have it filled by someone who did not select a seat at time of purchase. Man, have there been some interesting people in that seat.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
My assumption is that a CPU rate of only 24% (7 of 29 flights YTD) is below average for a 1K, yes? Weekly commuter (4 legs each week) SFO-hub-spoke on 'average' fares (sometimes cheapie, sometimes mid-range .. never M/B/Y).

ExPlat friends on AA on the same routings and fares (usually cheaper actually) have averaged 80%.
IAH based. Flying on Cheapest fare possible bought in advance. 37% since last July and 32% this year--by mile on flights with F cabins, not segment. This includes upgrades supported by instruments which don't seem to matter anymore for me out of/in to Houston. I used to average about 70%

I can't even get an upgrade on the last flight of the night to Vegas anymore. I used to be able to get that at least.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by lesliegolf
Same here except I do not remember the last time the middle seat was open next to me.

Upgrades are really rare for me now. Especially at hubs or at large conferences.

A lot of times middle exit will remain open only to have it filled by someone who did not select a seat at time of purchase. Man, have there been some interesting people in that seat.
I've noticed the same issue where having a middle exits row seat being empty is becoming rare. In fact, instead of booking an exit row aisle, I now book an aisle seat in the in the last row of E+, prior to the exit row. For example, 12C on a A320 (the last E+ row before the exit row 20).

It appears that when the plane is filling up, United assigns standby's E+ middle seats front to back. Thus, if there are empty seats, they will be in the E+ rows in front of the exits rows.

While the exit middle seats should be the last seats assigned, I think many MP+ members, when confronted with middle seats only, will self select (or request) the Exit middle. If you are going to be in a middle seat, you may as well be in the middle in the Exit row.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
I'm a SFO-based 1k, and my best guess is that my CPU success rate is only a bit above 24%
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
I'm 7 for 51 this year. The only upgrade longer than a short one hour flight was LAX - Den (6am) and LAX- HNL on a 767 and it was only after the doors closed.

My specific question is regarding whether they exclude passengers likely to pay for an upgrade from CPU's. I've paid a few times lately and I think I have been singled out. Last week I was flying with a colleague who shares the same admin. He is also a 1K and we had the same booking class. I was #1 on the waitlist and he was #3 because I checked in earlier. He ended up clearing and I didn't, how is that possible?

Also I have an ANC-SFO flight tomorrow and it is a 6 row 737. I have a decent booking class as it was last minute and they cleared 10 seats and I'm still #1 on the waitlist. I honestly believe there is something going wrong with my account.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CashN
My specific question is regarding whether they exclude passengers likely to pay for an upgrade from CPU's.
No.

Originally Posted by CashN
Last week I was flying with a colleague who shares the same admin. He is also a 1K and we had the same booking class. I was #1 on the waitlist and he was #3 because I checked in earlier. He ended up clearing and I didn't, how is that possible?
The problem is that there are two lists. To understand how CPUs get doled out, see the wikipost here, which addresses your questions in the FAQ section: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2013-a-49.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.