FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   24% 1K CPU rate (SFO-based) typical? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1588886-24-1k-cpu-rate-sfo-based-typical.html)

SFO_FT Jun 26, 2014 8:35 pm

24% 1K CPU rate (SFO-based) typical?

My assumption is that a CPU rate of only 24% (7 of 29 flights YTD) is below average for a 1K, yes? Weekly commuter (4 legs each week) SFO-hub-spoke on 'average' fares (sometimes cheapie, sometimes mid-range .. never M/B/Y).

ExPlat friends on AA on the same routings and fares (usually cheaper actually) have averaged 80%.

amartin1979 Jun 26, 2014 8:38 pm

Yes, that is typical for a 1K. AA and DL are known to have much better upgrade rates.

WineCountryUA Jun 26, 2014 8:43 pm

There is no typical -- it is highly dependent on routings, times, .... We have insufficient data for an average and that also would be meaningless since the variation is large and not applicable / useful to individual 1Ks.

For instance, some folk do regular routes, some do irregular, non-repeative routes.

Data for CLE-EWR is not useful for SFO-LAX. As SFO-ORD is not useful for EWR-IAH.

aacharya Jun 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979 (Post 23103160)
Yes, that is typical for a 1K. AA and DL are known to have much better upgrade rates.

It's not even close to typical for the typical 1K. For the 1K out of SFO, it does make perfect sense. But not all 1Ks live in SFO. My numbers are in my signature.

mduell Jun 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Depends a lot on routes and times.

DidItClear has some numbers

blueman2 Jun 26, 2014 8:50 pm

I was 3/22 last year as 1K in SFO. Mostly peak time SFO-AUS and similar flights. Mostly cr7 and a319s, so limited upgrade room anyway. But yeah, I consider even your numbers to be unusually low. Mine were insanely low.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979 (Post 23103160)

Please provide actual data for all, please. We're all interested in the data you apparently have access to. I'm north of 80%, originating out of Hawaii.

PV_Premier Jun 26, 2014 8:52 pm

1K ex-SFO is usually bad without instrument (RPU/miles) or M-UP fare. I never transit SFO without supporting my upgrade effort with an instrument into R space that is open at booking. There are simply too many global service in SFO.

If you are able to transit LAX on a connection your numbers will look a lot better. DEN is going to many RJs with little or no F cabin, and IAH is also tricky at times (but worlds better than SFO).

Last year starting as Gold and ending at 1K I batted about 60%, flying mostly TCON itineraries with connections in ORD or LAX and occasionally IAH. This year I have not flown enough UA to say, but I expect my UG% would be lower than 50% based on the length of the waitlists and sizes of group 1 that I see in my very limited UA flying.

amartin1979 Jun 26, 2014 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 23103199)
Please provide actual data for all, please. We're all interested in the data you apparently have access to. I'm north of 80%, originating out of Hawaii.

I'm referring to my own experience as a SFO-based 1K. I get upgraded about 1 out of every 4 flights over the last two years. This does not include instrument supported upgrades.

transportprof Jun 26, 2014 8:58 pm

Originating ex-YVR and flying irregular itineraries at irregular times, I'm at about 70% CPUs this year. I've had very good luck on YVR-SFO and YVR-DEN, less success YVR-ORD, and no luck on YVR-IAH legs.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 26, 2014 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979 (Post 23103225)
I'm referring to my own experience as a SFO-based 1K. I get upgraded about 1 out of every 4 flights over the last two years. This does not include instrument supported upgrades.

Then don't reply as if that is typical for all 1Ks. It is not. Your reply - "Yes, that is typical for a 1K" - is totally bogus. If you are referring to your own experience, then say so.

amartin1979 Jun 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 23103235)
Then don't reply as if that is typical for all 1Ks. It is not. Your reply - "Yes, that is typical for a 1K" - is totally bogus. If you are referring to your own experience, then say so.

Considering the very large number of SFO-based 1K's, this is a *very* typical experience for many of us. ;)

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 26, 2014 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979 (Post 23103244)
Considering the very large number of SFO-based 1K's, this is a *very* typical experience for many of us. ;)

No according to DidItClear - again, presuming to speak for everyone else. My upgrades in and out of SFO are much higher - 80%+ plus because of destination/timing. You don't speak for my experience in/out of SFO.

amartin1979 Jun 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 23103248)
No according to DidItClear - again, presuming to speak for everyone else. My upgrades in and out of SFO are much higher - 80%+ plus because of destination/timing. You don't speak for my experience in/out of SFO.

Since you aren't SFO-based, you really have zero basis for comparison. :o

mgcsinc Jun 26, 2014 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979 (Post 23103257)
Since you aren't SFO-based, you really have zero basis for comparison. :o

This response doesn't make any sense in any world even resembling the one in which we live.