Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You just made the argument for the opposing POV :-:

For the marginal, discretionary dollar, that's why loyalty programs DO exist.

Why should a business traveler flying EWR-IAH, with no other options (and thus, married to UA and monopolistic pricing) reap the maximum amount of awards?
IMO, your remark raises the larger question of the chief purpose of FF marketing campaigns. I concur with your observation that, at least originally, they were intended to influence the discretionary dollar being spent, not the OPM corporate traveler who, due to corporate contracts, travel patterns, employer/customer relationships, etc was bound to a particular route/airline and relatively indifferent to money spent on travel. This RDM decision has focused my attention on that discretionary spend and the outcome is not favorable for UA (not that current management seems particularly concerned about individual traveler's decisions). In contrast, the handful of times I have flown Delta over the past two years, they seem to understand that if we force discretionary reviews due to negative changes in loyalty programs, it will be in our best interest to bolster the underlying service. UA implements similar decisions within the context of a mediocre product with continuing decline in standards.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by rankourabu
And clearly, the people in this group are not important.

Its all about the generous work policy OPMer, and the pay-per-bag kayaker.

Everyone in between apparently is not important as a customer.
I know we're talking about UA MP here but all they did was copy DAL to the last comma as it concerns this revenue program. Do you think that DAL is wrong in its analysis? I assume that if they see a dramatic decrease in revenue, they will reinstate a program which addresses that middle group you allude to above.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by RealFan
I know we're talking about UA MP here but all they did was copy DAL to the last comma as it concerns this revenue program. Do you think that DAL is wrong in its analysis? I assume that if they see a dramatic decrease in revenue, they will reinstate a program which addresses that middle group you allude to above.
a) From the middle group's perspective: Delta has a decent product. SkyMiles has been a bust for a while now for this group anyway, and Delta managed just fine.
United has a pretty bad product. MP managed to keep some folks around and suffer all the other shortcomings

b) wont happen. Even if they are wrong. I cant imagine a retreat of that scope.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
I think they both have it right. Not surprising given the data they have. I see no difference in DL and UA domestic, but I do think they will rarify the top!tiers with a big increase in PQD next year. If you are squeaking by at 10,002 now, diversify in 2015.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki

Even as a mostly leisure traveler, I don't have an issue with this viewpoint. However, there is an unclear outcome among those even those who fly OPM. Even if you fly primarily on OPM, you might come out behind under the new system. There are some OPM travelers who are hub captives or booking last-minute or monopoly routes that tend to guarantee a high average cpm. In contrast, there are other OPM travelers whose schedules are known far in advance and where the employer has an all-coach-all-the-time policy on the lowest logical fare.
To UA, I don't think it matter who is footing the bill in the end. Benefits go to the specific person traveling - and the new rules of the game are that more benefits are going to the travelers who are associated with higher spend, not the one who flies the most miles. And that goes whether its an executive at a Fortune 100, a small business owner, leisure traveler trapped at a high-cost airport, or an "average joe" splurging on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation.

Originally Posted by gongteng
A couple of thoughts:

- In many cases UA offers cheaper tickets for one-stop or two stops even when non-stop flights are available. I considered & actually took it as it was beneficial for both of PQM and RDM. However now it is less attractive. I think balancing loads by attractive ticket fares are a good idea but UA seems to give up this?

- Flying UA metal always gave me more RDMs but with this change non-UA metal could be beneficial in some circumstances?
The change to MP won't, IMO, change how they price these kinds of tickets and the balancing load in general - they will still offer lower fares on flights where they have excess capacity, and higher fares on those that they think they will sell out. To those who care a lot about miles, yes, it will make adding stops for a lower fare less rewarding. However, those (on FT and off) who care more about miles than fare, in general, are a minority and few and far between - far fewer than reading FT would lead one to believe. Many travelers, especially those traveling for leisure, and those based in North America where, in general, price takes absolute precedence over everything else including service and convenience, will still choose whatever itinerary is cheaper. And there is no difference for those who care about status, as the calculation for PQM remains the same as today.

Yes, non-UA metal could be beneficial in some circumstances for RDM. However, anything bought on 016 stock will still be under the revenue system. And we don't know if the distance-based calculation will stay the same for partners as it is today. It might...but time will tell.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You just made the argument for the opposing POV :-:

For the marginal, discretionary dollar, that's why loyalty programs DO exist.

Why should a business traveler flying EWR-IAH, with no other options (and thus, married to UA and monopolistic pricing) reap the maximum amount of awards?
And why, from UAs point of view, should someone flying, say EWR-IAD-IAH for a lower cost than the nonstop EWR-IAH, earn more than the guy taking the nonstop? Especially when UAs cost are higher for the connecting passenger, and profits lower.

Airlines were the first ones to have loyalty programs, but most other company/industry programs since have been based on revenue, and for good reason. My points at Marriott, are based on revenue. When I shop at the grocery store, if I buy a product on sale, I get fewer points then when I buy it at full price. The airlines basically trained passengers to expect more rewards than they could afford to give indefinitely, and are now scaling back. It's not really that surprising when you think about it. Hope you enjoyed it while it lasted.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
And clearly, the people in this group are not important.

Its all about the generous work policy OPMer, and the pay-per-bag kayaker.

Everyone in between apparently is not important as a customer.
Its the people who are bringing in more revenue who are more important, whoever it is. It's not that you are not giving anything to those who bring in medium or less revenue, but I think its fair to give them less rewards if that's the case.

For me personally, I'll probably be on the slightly lower side in terms of RDM with this change - I'd guess around 20% less RDM. But I understand why the change is being made, and I really don't have a problem with it.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
To UA, I don't think it matter who is footing the bill in the end. Benefits go to the specific person traveling - and the new rules of the game are that more benefits are going to the travelers who are associated with higher spend, not the one who flies the most miles.
Agree with the first part, not so much for the second part.

It is only accurate to say that more benefits go to those with higher spend when you are looking at RDM’s only. Status is still generally BIS-based, not $$$ except for the min spend, and there is no indication that this will be changing any time in the near future.

While everyone is different here on FT, status is far more important to some than how many award miles are earned. But of course, status is only important if you are BIS enough to enjoy the benefits associated with your tier.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:04 am

The difference between Delta and United is Delta worked on insuring the operational details of its organization were improved before putting further pressure on the frequent flyer program, while United chose to move forward on squeezing the program without fixing the serious organizational issues post merger.

FWIW, it appears that Mr Doug Parker is opting for the Delta strategy before beginning any major overhaul of the combined FF programs.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by luckypierre
FWIW, it appears that Mr Doug Parker is opting for the Delta strategy before beginning any major overhaul of the combined FF programs.
What evidence of this have you seen?

I thought that USdbaAA () was focused on merger related issues (not operational) before they address major changes to AAdvantage?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
What evidence of this have you seen?

I thought that USdbaAA () was focused on merger related issues (not operational) before they address major changes to AAdvantage?
I view merger items as a subset of operational details of the airline.

Here's a remark he made at an international travel conference

"During an onstage appearance at the GBTA convention, Parker was asked whether American would follow Delta and United in moving to frequent-flyer program based on revenue accrued instead of miles flown. Such a move was "not even on the plate right now," he said. "We have to get the two frequent-flyer programs merged first. If it makes sense to make that innovation, we may do that, but to try to change the program now would be foolish."

September 2014-tentative agreement with combined flight attendants AA

September 2014-tentative agreement with flight attendants UA, 4 years after the merger
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, BA Blue, Wyndham Diamond
Fares not in USDollars: how many miles?

I pay for tickets in GB Pounds: will the number of miles vary according to the exchange rate? If so, then this would be another retrograde step as the number of miles appears to be given only for dollars. (e.g., 2 months ago the rate was £1 = $1.66, today the rate is £1 = $1.58 so I would receive fewer miles for the same fare)
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I do not have the time to search 2200 posts, unfortunately
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by luckypierre
I view merger items as a subset of operational details of the airline.

Here's a remark he made at an international travel conference

"During an onstage appearance at the GBTA convention, Parker was asked whether American would follow Delta and United in moving to frequent-flyer program based on revenue accrued instead of miles flown. Such a move was "not even on the plate right now," he said. "We have to get the two frequent-flyer programs merged first. If it makes sense to make that innovation, we may do that, but to try to change the program now would be foolish."

September 2014-tentative agreement with combined flight attendants AA

September 2014-tentative agreement with flight attendants UA, 4 years after the merger
I don't disagree with the points you are making, but I also don't believe they are operational issues in the traditional definition of the word.

Operational: On time rate, completion rate, baggage handling

Not: Negotiating a merged union contract
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I am getting used to the idea that I don't fly for the miles any more, and I don't expect to get so many free rides. There certainly WAS a free lunch; I'd make a wild guess that I've gotten $20-30K worth of domestic Y tix from my miles over the years.
I contend that there was NO free lunch. How much did you spend to get those "free" tickets?

From my viewpoint there are two things happening with this change.

1. Redistribution of awards. Ostensibly, this is to even things up, or make them more fair. In their opinion - right or wrong as it may be.
2. Revaluation of awards. There IS NO SUCH THING as a free lunch. Awards are able to be provided based on fares. If the fares are high enough, they can afford to provide more/better awards. They could provide even cheaper fares if there was no award program.

An award program is delayed gratification that requires some degree of loyalty to cash in. It also requires up front cash from the one that will ultimately benefit from it. Otherwise the business will not survive in the long run. The extreme complexity of trying to please all the people all the time is where awards programs fall down, kind of like the US Income Tax system...
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Blutak
I pay for tickets in GB Pounds: will the number of miles vary according to the exchange rate? If so, then this would be another retrograde step as the number of miles appears to be given only for dollars. (e.g., 2 months ago the rate was £1 = $1.66, today the rate is £1 = $1.58 so I would receive fewer miles for the same fare)
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I do not have the time to search 2200 posts, unfortunately
I'd guess it's based on the NUC rate at the time of purchase, since that's whats written on the ticket.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: United 1K , Emirates Platinum, Lufthansa Senator, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Probably also asked before: does anyone know how Star Alliance non UA Tickets are treated? Saw earlier the assumption here the miles remain but what about the current status bonus miles?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
So I am Gold now...but will drop to Silver next year.

I will be purchasing a J ticket for EWR-HKG for an April 2015 trip.

So even though I am paying for the transaction now to UA (while Im Gold), I am only going get the Silver 7x credit...instead of 8x for Gold.

This system does not seem fair... Im giving UA a significant amount of $ now...7 months in advance...

Is there any way around it (besides becoming Gold for next year)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.