Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA's basic message is, we don't need 1Ks who spend less than 18 cpm. We'll see how that works out them.
Apparently not so good thus far - but the real question is how will Delta Platinums and Diamonds deal with their changes - will they spend up, spend the same (and get fewer miles) or leave for the most convenient carrier/flight per trip? They are the canaries in the coal mine up first.

If AA matches the change, will this new reality actually drive more spend, or just act as a massive devaluation of the entire FFP system across the board, and become the new reality? Everyone earns a fraction of what they did before, we're essentially treated like credit card spenders, yet aspirational award requirements inflate to the point where no one can ever redeem an award unless they spend the year flying full Y/J/F on a few flights and loading up their account, or spending tens of thousands each month with their mileage credit cards.

That's really what the two recent UA changes come down to - if you want to redeem int'l J or F, you're either buying lots of very expensive tickets, or you can forget about it, and thus many people might come to the conclusion it's better to dump their affiliate cards and go with 2% cash back cards and buy travel from the lowest cost seller without regard to loyalty.

If AA decides not to match (and thus wait in the wings to scoop up unhappy DL/UA elite customers), the result would be interesting - although with Parker at the helm, something tells me AA will not only match, but go a step further with additional devaluations.

For those who are sweating the change, remember this:

1 - you'll continue earning elite status the same as before
2 - at the end of the year, tally your earned miles under the new program vs your earned miles under the old scheme. Figure out the difference and use manufactured spend methods to screw Chase (or Amex or whoever) for the difference.
3- when you see a UA mistake fare, pounce on it without mercy or hesitation and grab as many tickets as you can, since we should be able to screw UA with the same lack of delusional morality they use to treat us - after all, it's just business, right? No worries, two can play this game.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
This is pretty simple.

1. Business passengers who fly on paid premium tickets are profitable.

2. Incenting these flyers to spend OPM (their employer's or client's money) by giving them personal kickbacks (i.e. miles) has always been a big part of the raison d'etre for FF programs.

3. This market has become increasingly competitive so DL upped the ante by doubling or tripling the kickback paid to HVFs.

4. UA followed suit to stay competitive.

5. Both companies didn't want it to be a money loser so they cut the miles to other VFFs (flyers not on paid premium tickets) in order to offset the cost.

How corporate customers and the IRS will feel about this is a big question. (In some cases we're talking about kickbacks worth $10,000 or $20,000 a year to an HVF.)

Also what is the competition going to do. Foreign carriers may respond by cutting premium fares. AA might take a different tack and effectively offer the kickback directly to the traveler's employer. Both DL and UA will lose FFs who don't fly premium fares to the competition.

I don't think this story has a happy ending. I agree with others. Jeff is literally just pushing any button to try to buy time and save his hide.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Especially since one of them is NH which is a JV partner.
Even for UA GF I would not pay that (likely the reason is that he wanted to use a SWU.)
Even the UA fare is $2000 less - so comparing pricing from the past to now is irrelevant.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
As someone who qualifies for 1K year after year on segments (and about half either on a RJ without F or a bus) and my current premier qualifying line this year so far reads: 64 PQS (no Y 1.5s), 38,332 PQM, and 11,387 PQD, I fully applaud this change.

This rewards us who are putting out rear ends on plane seats with pricey tickets week after week with the same carrier, instead of rewarding people who take advantage of mistake fares, deep sales and mileage "runs". And, for the record, I pay from my own pocket (and write it off) like everyone who owns their own business and try to find the cheapest possible tickets.

And it was not the majors who started this, it was Southwest....
You are indeed the winning profile in this. Well done. My regional managers similarly win. Having done this dance for 20 years in previous lives, I know how draining it is compared to the transpacific queens like me, and I'm glad you domestic warriors get your due finally.

Doing six transpacific for top status is easy street. 1K on SYR-EWR-DAY x100 is tough sledding
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Ugg...
I'm about to go from earning ~50K per round trip on M fare's to getting max of 25k
Not impressed
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
This is pretty simple.

1. Business passengers who fly on paid premium tickets are profitable.

2. Incenting these flyers to spend OPM (their employer's or client's money) by giving them personal kickbacks (i.e. miles) has always been a big part of the raison d'etre for FF programs.

3. This market has become increasingly competitive so DL upped the ante by doubling or tripling the kickback paid to HVFs.

4. UA followed suit to stay competitive.

5. Both companies didn't want it to be a money loser so they cut the miles to other VFFs (flyers not on paid premium tickets) in order to offset the cost.

How corporate customers and the IRS will feel about this is a big question. (In some cases we're talking about kickbacks worth $10,000 or $20,000 a year to an HVF.)

Also what is the competition going to do. Foreign carriers may respond by cutting premium fares. AA might take a different tack and effectively offer the kickback directly to the traveler's employer. Both DL and UA will lose FFs who don't fly premium fares to the competition.

I don't think this story has a happy ending. I agree with others. Jeff is literally just pushing any button to try to buy time and save his hide.
The top 10 percent of business travellers and companies give their heavy travellers latitude on budget. The other 90% don't, and their spend will be unchanged. Jeff has called this one correctly, following DL.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:17 pm

How does the credit card bonus work?

I am confused by the 2 miles per dollar credit card bonus that United is talking about. We already get 2 miles per United $ on our mileage plus card. But these miles are not awarded with our flights--they are just part of the monthly miles we get based on our credit card statement---they are essentially miles paid for by the chase as a rebate for spending. In fact, the miles are awarded at the time of purchase--not when we fly.

Is United essentially counting the miles we already get from Chase in its new scheme? Or will United actually award 2 additional miles per $ if we purchase with a United Card--In addition to the monthly miles we get for spending from Chase.

If it is the former, United's description is deceptive, because these are actually miles awarded by Chase--not by United.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
I will tell you what Corporations will do - exactly what mine has done. No more booking your own flights! Travel will book it on the least expensive flight and you must use your corporate credit card (not your UA VISA) to book it. Sorry Jeff. Very short sighted.

Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Ugg...
I'm about to go from earning ~50K per round trip on M fare's to getting max of 25k
Not impressed
It's not personal, it's business. Congrats on the kids!

Originally Posted by SFO777
I'm genuinely curious as to why you (or your employer) would pay $8,577 when you could have flown for much less on an array of much better airlines?

These are precisely the pax that UA and DL are targeting. I.e. give them a ton of miles for wasting OPM.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
I’m sorry to see what for me amounts to the end of the UA FF program. As someone who has flown CO/UA for over 50 years, I feel hurt that my loyalty has been so drastically disregarded by the new changes. I was already disappointed by the devaluation of the rewards charts, and then the switch to PDQ, which means I will not requalify for 1k this year. My last few years as a 1k have resulted from a combination of a minor number of business trips (post-retirement consulting) with a careful selection of low-cost MRs (2-4 cpm) so that my actual spend has been less than $5k/yr. I’ve read the posts that suggest I shouldn’t complain that I will get less for paying less, and will not clog up the front cabin, but I’ve considered MRs both an adventure and a way to earn RDMs as a repayment for my years of loyalty. So my wife and I will burn the last of our miles (booked before the devaluation took place) and say goodbye. At least I won't spend long hours searching for new MR deals!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cepheid
YCA fares aren't necessarily cheaper than retail fares. In many cases, the YCA fares are significantly higher than the usual "cheapo" fares that might be purchased. Overall, I don't think this will be any more or less of a negative for gov't fares versus retail fares, on average... it'll just be a huge negative overall, for everyone (well, for most people).

I don't know who'll win the contracts for FY2015 (the GSA site doesn't have the city-pair assignments yet), but for FY2014, United actually had far fewer routes than it has had in years prior to FY2011 (in FY2012 and FY2013, many formerly-United routes went to AA and VA; in FY2014, WN ate quite a few of them, too).
DL has also occupied many of them from what I hear.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:23 pm

These are precisely the pax that UA and DL are targeting. I.e. give them a ton of miles for wasting OPM.
Might have needed a last minute, refundable fare?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I will tell you what Corporations will do - exactly what mine has done. No more booking your own flights! Travel will book it on the least expensive flight and you must use your corporate credit card (not your UA VISA) to book it. Sorry Jeff. Very short sighted.
Wait until the NYT finds the fat cat banker who's doing two RT TPACs a month in F and reports that he's getting a $75k a year tax free benefit. Or worse....values the miles at what a Saver F award would cost if you paid for it in cash and reports that the guy will get $250k a year in free travel for his wife and kids.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
Even the UA fare is $2000 less - so comparing pricing from the past to now is irrelevant.
I was responding to the post from SFO777 which was made <24 hours ago...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.