Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
My how we laughed
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Does anyone have experience requesting a retroactive PQD/RDM adjustment due to a re-fare? I just cancelled the return flight on an international round trip flight; despite the 1 hour, 50 minute schedule change, the agent elected* to mark it as a voluntary change and had it re-fared.
Update on this --

The agent who refused even to waive the cancellation fee due to my 1 hour, 50 minute schedule change also apparently failed to submit the refund request properly. I waited a week, and when I didn't hear anything, I submitted an online refund request, mentioning the situation (schedule change, first agent said the cancellation fee would be waived, second didn't).

Much to my surprise, the refunds department did an INVOL refund. ^ So, I got 50% of my original fare back instead of the leftovers after converting it to a one-way fare basis. Thus, I will not be requesting a PQD adjustment, because the PQD matches what I ended up spending on the flight.

PS: For a fairly small amount of cash, UA just generated a large amount of goodwill.
iapetus likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond (SK); Hilton Diamond + few others
Will be travelling CPH-BRU-EWR on a Brussels Airlines ticket (BRU-EWR is UA operated though). Ticket is K-class.

I'm *A-Gold.

- Will I get to check a free bag in CPH when checking in with Brussels Airlines? (I read that LH doesn't give a free 1st bag, but reading diverging things here).
- How many miles does this credit to UA MileagePlus? (I have a European based UA-membership).

Last edited by EBGflyer; Sep 5, 2019 at 2:51 am
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EBGflyer
Will be travelling CPH-BRU-EWR on a Brussels Airlines ticket (BRU-EWR is UA operated though). Ticket is K-class.

I'm *A-Gold.

- Will I get to check a free bag in CPH when checking in with Brussels Airlines? (I read that LH doesn't give a free 1st bag, but reading diverging things here).
- How many miles does this credit to UA MileagePlus? (I have a European based UA-membership).
Do you have a Basic Economy / Light fare, or a regular fare? K class by itself isn't enough information.

Are you asking about redeemable miles or Premier Qualifying Miles?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm assuming you have a Basic Economy (Economy Light) ticket since you posted in this thread, but as jsloan noted the fare class alone is not enough to determine.

If Basic Economy, your checked allowance at an SN counter is zero, even if *G. If regular Economy, it is 2x23kg with *G.

A BE ticket will earn 50% of the distance in PQM.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Do you have a Basic Economy / Light fare, or a regular fare? K class by itself isn't enough information.

Are you asking about redeemable miles or Premier Qualifying Miles?
It's a Basic Economy Ticket. Asking how many miles I will accumulate - miles that I can use for award tickets later.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a Basic Economy Ticket. Asking how many miles I will accumulate - miles that I can use for award tickets later.
The CPH-BRU segment will earn based upon the flight distance; K earns at 50%, so approximately 235.

BRU-EWR will earn based upon the amount of the fare that's allocated to that segment. UA Gold will earn 8 miles per dollar.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The UA segment will earn based on the PQDs allocated to that segment multipled by your UA status multiplier ( x5 if no status,if UA Gold it is x8). Figuring the PQDs on a partner ticket can get tricky. It should be most of the fare (after removing taxes and fees) and at portion allocated to the SN flight from CPH.

The SN flight from CPH will earn 50% of the miles between CPH-BRU,
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The UA segment will earn based on the PQDs allocated to that segment multipled by your UA status multiplier ( x5 if no status,if UA Gold it is x8). Figuring the PQDs on a partner ticket can get tricky. It should be most of the fare (after removing taxes and fees) and at portion allocated to the SN flight from CPH.

The SN flight from CPH will earn 50% of the miles between CPH-BRU,
Thanks,

Wondering whether the earnings pr. dollar also applies when my UA MileagePlus aacount is not based in the US. Usually, you don't earn based on the ticket price. Has it been changed?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wondering whether the earnings pr. dollar also applies when my UA MileagePlus aacount is not based in the US. Usually, you don't earn based on the ticket price. Has it been changed?
Earnings based on the ticket price has been standard for all MileagePlus members, for all United-operated flights, for several years. You don't need to reach a certain number of PQD to keep your Gold status, but that is still how the redeemable miles are earned.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks,

thats incorrect. When crediting to MP, no matter where your account is based, you earn per dollar on any United flight, no matter how it was booked/ticketed, and partner flights when ticketed by United (016 ticket number). The only exception is on speciality tickets, which does earn based on distance (often a percentage of distance).

This hasn't changed since the introduction of fare-based earning, I think that was in 2014 or 2015. Only difference between US-based accounts and not is those in the US need to meet PQD, and internationally based accounts don’t., as previously mentioned.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe

thats incorrect. When crediting to MP, no matter where your account is based, you earn per dollar on any United flight, no matter how it was booked/ticketed, and partner flights when ticketed by United (016 ticket number). The only exception is on speciality tickets, which does earn based on distance (often a percentage of distance).

This hasn't changed since the introduction of fare-based earning, I think that was in 2014 or 2015. Only difference between US-based accounts and not is those in the US need to meet PQD, and internationally based accounts don’t., as previously mentioned.
Ok, let me clarify then. The ticket is issued by SN (ticket 082-) and shows as a Basic Economy Ticket in my United-app. The fare class is K.

I will be flying:
CPH-BRU: SN-operated.
BRU-EWR: UA-operated

Wouldn't I accumulate miles to MP based on distance when it's a SN-ticket (on UA-metal)?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Ok, let me clarify then. The ticket is issued by SN (ticket 082-) and shows as a Basic Economy Ticket in my United-app. The fare class is K.

I will be flying:
CPH-BRU: SN-operated.
BRU-EWR: UA-operated

Wouldn't I accumulate miles to MP based on distance when it's a SN-ticket (on UA-metal)?
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...lines-sas.html

I think that the redeemable miles will be 50% x distances for both segments. Just read the link provided above.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...lines-sas.html

I think that the redeemable miles will be 50% x distances for both segments. Just read the link provided above.
The link you provided is for SK - not SN, but of course in principle the same. For the long segment BRU-EWR the flight is not SN, but UA, however on an SN ticket (082). I think I have found the answer on UA's website here:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/united.html

When flights are operated by United reddemable miles will be given based on fare regardless what airline has issued the ticket.

So the fare itself was extremely low - I think around 50 USD, but how do UA determine how much of that fare belong to the UA segment. The ticket consists of 4 segments where only 1 of them is UA,
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The link you provided is for SK - not SN, but of course in principle the same. For the long segment BRU-EWR the flight is not SN, but UA, however on an SN ticket (082). I think I have found the answer on UA's website here:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/united.html

When flights are operated by United reddemable miles will be given based on fare regardless what airline has issued the ticket.
Correct. UA metal earns by ticket price regardless of the ticketing carrier.

So the fare itself was extremely low - I think around 50 USD, but how do UA determine how much of that fare belong to the UA segment. The ticket consists of 4 segments where only 1 of them is UA,
It's a black box, but it usually comes out fairly close to pro rata by distance over the fare component. The effective base fare is almost certainly higher unless you're one of those insane sub-€250 fares -- YQ counts as base fare for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.