Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz
If the new system is based on $$, many people who take multiple segments for additional miles or transfer at hubs will want to travel the best (shortest) route. It will be
interesting to see which flights fill up and which become echo chambers.
Maybe this is what they want? More competition on direct flights? Either way AA is the last hold out. If I were AA I would offer the miles or the dollars, whichever is greater per flight. Would cost more but they would attract everyone and their tickets would demand a higher price. So if I flew San Fran to JFK I would get 5000 miles as an elite even if the ticket cost $300 one way. If the ticket were $1000 one way them I would get 11,000 instead. How many would switch to AA if they did that, had the routes and had a much much better product? People from WN and VX and B6 and Alaska might switch too? There is still a lot if competition out there for airlines to have to differentiate themselves. Right now UA is just copying from DL because they can't innovate on their own. I think the whole management team and BoD should be fired for gross incompetence. A bunch of monkeys and baboons could run an airline better than this.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Keep that straw man away from open flames.....they are still points/reichs miles and not income. They have had accounting value for tax purposes since the beginning of the program, but not for the recipients.
Straw man? No. The world is a big place. Not even familiar with our mutual residential neighbor to the north?

In some places they have been, for tax purposes, treated as income of sorts for the recipient of the miles. The tax men's efforts over them caused a stir and often -- but not always -- got dropped.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp.../menu-eng.html

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 10, 2014 at 4:11 pm
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If that was true, then you need to realize you are forgoing PQDs for status (unless you qualify for a PQD waiver))
Hmm.. Good point, overlooked that small detail. Figured that that was too easy.

Thanks

-E
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Red68
It seems as though it will be better to book a *A partner flight through their website for international travel and still get the actual miles. Am I reading that correctly?

-E
Until they reveal the new earnings "based on percentage of distance flown" - and only full Y will earn anything but 25%
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If that was true, then you need to realize you are forgoing PQDs for status (unless you qualify for a PQD waiver))
And in most cases you only get base RDMs and no status bonus.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
It doesn't actually make sense to reduce RDMs for all MP members except 1Ks while you're running the worst airline in the country, which already challenges everyone's loyalty every day. And it's delusional to think all sub-1K customers are "RDM runners." Makes no sense.
In a weird way, it does make sense to me that they would do this to leisure flyers. I hypothesize that even under the old system that most leisure flyers never accumulate enough miles to be worth a ticket. I have to assume that most credit card holders do not generate enough miles to turn into travel either.

They are marketed to based on the illusion of earning miles for trips and for things that elite status used to bring you. This group won't notice at all as long as they get to line up with Golds in Group 2.

BUT, UA does get to reduce what they have to show on the books as a future liability (customers' banked miles). (FT'ers are not a normal sample -- I don't think most "you're in" credit card holders spend $25,000 a year to earn enough for a domestic ticket.) I'm not an airline accountant, but between the award chart devaluation and this, I can see a major plus (or a reduction of the minus, rather) on the balance sheet.

By way of motive, even for elites etc, it tracks for me. After all, if it was just about controlling use of award/free tickets, they were already doing that by just making so few available. But they had to carry to liability on the books. (That, and, of course, that most of us are over entitled leaches who UA doesn't want around any more.) (spin88, you out there to comment??)

Now, for the vast middle layer that includes consistent business flyers (Gold, Silver, even Plat)... WE will notice and be annoyed and change our loyalty/behavior even more than we already have.

Last edited by abaheti; Jun 10, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jjmoore
For those that intend to ditch and run.... I have to ask... where will you run to? I suspect that UA / DL are writing the norm for all airlines' MP's moving forward. After all, most airlines follow each other with these types of changes pretty quickly. Just look at baggage fees, for example (WN excluded). That all pretty much hit within the same 12 month period.
The US airline cartel kingpins' programs aren't the only game in the world.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Really? You have too much faith in people. Greed will generally prevail if one can getaway with it.

Hopefully, more employers will start moving towards where the actual spender (employer) gets the miles.
While I am aware that some companies do this, I think most (myself included) consider the miles a benefit. In my case, a tradeoff for being away from the family all the time. When I interviewed for my current position, I asked about this. Had the company kept the miles I would not have taken the position unless I could negotiate to keep the miles.

Will some people abuse this? probably. Will most risk their reputation and future employability for airline miles? probably not. I don't think this is rampant in WN-land, and I doubt it will be for DL, UA, AA either.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:09 pm
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Originally Posted by zebranz
And that's good?
With my F&F sounds like another negative!
I hear ya on that one.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, reformed UA 1K
Looks like FAQ has been expanded, now answers some specific questions (e.g. Copa earning will be treated like all other *A partners)

http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Do you really think they are that smart?

Plus, exactly how are they going to attract cash cow business travelers with a devalued mileage program, virtually no Wifi, dark planes and midcon dinners like this?
Eh, that's not the worst meal UA servers... swap in the mushroom slop, and basically everything on the plate is white. Except the hot sauce.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 10, 2014 at 6:47 pm Reason: image removal
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Sorry if it's written elsewhere -- but what's going to happen with bulk tickets? Will these tickets still earn miles? I presume not given the PQD debacle...
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ONTRandy
While I am aware that some companies do this, I think most (myself included) consider the miles a benefit. In my case, a tradeoff for being away from the family all the time. When I interviewed for my current position, I asked about this. Had the company kept the miles I would not have taken the position unless I could negotiate to keep the miles.

Will some people abuse this? probably. Will most risk their reputation and future employability for airline miles? probably not. I don't think this is rampant in WN-land, and I doubt it will be for DL, UA, AA either.
So the miles are an arrangement as a form of additional compensation for the job and its travel time? Be glad Uncle Sam's brother to the north doesn't have jurisdiction in the US.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
So far this year, I've earned 50,569 RDM from flights with Plat bonus.

Under the new system, these $5586 in PQD would equal almost exactly the same number of miles: 50272.

However, the numbers are a bit out of whack due to a re-route on LH that earned me an A class bonus but no PQD.

When that trip is not factored in, my PQD is $2192. For that spend, I've earned 25831 miles, which would be 19728. That is a 25% decrease which seems to be about average. And I'm a "road warrior" -- just one who commutes on what are currently low yield fares (even a last minute PDX-SFO RT has been averaging less than $300 this year).
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:17 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So the miles are an arrangement as a form of additional compensation? Be glad Uncle Sam's brother to the north doesn't have jurisdiction in the US.
You talking about Canada? The Canada Revenue Agency explicitly does not tax FF miles earned in the course of employment-related travel.

Might want to educate yourself before spouting off anti-Canada diatribes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.