Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by IainC
Yes, I feel that there would be few on this board who would disagree with this philosophy and it is the way that all FF programs seem to be heading.
It may seem to some that is the way that all FF programs seem to be heading, but that perception does not necessarily represent the broader FFP world -- rather that perception is more representative of what is going on in rather oligopolistic markets where one, two or three big industry cartel kingpins run the bulk of the "full-service" network show and there are fewer (or no) weak legacy network carriers left in the home market willing to buck the cartel kingpins' thuggish marketplace discipline efforts.

That said, the de novo airlines and de novo FFPs seem to be mostly starting off with the cash-based "rebate" way that DL, UA and others are pursuing.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder

That said, the de novo airlines and de novo FFPs seem to be mostly starting off with the cash-based "rebate" way that DL, UA and others are pursuing.
Yes, that was my point?

Last edited by IainC; Jun 13, 2014 at 6:00 am Reason: typo correct
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
So if airlines were like hotels, what hotel chain best resembles UA?
Best Western? Motel 6?
Originally Posted by BearX220
Days Inn.
Indeed, I wouldn't trust United to leave the light on for me
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I disagree with this... as a last minute traveler, sometimes M is the lowest available fare.... and I don't get any say in the matter. I deserve more for a fare that literally costs 2-3X as much as a K fare.
You did get more. You didn't have to tie up your plans and your money months ago - you are paying for the right to make your plans and plunk down money at the last minute.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Great post.

Bottom line is this.... people will not stop flying just because they are getting.
But they might stop flying United.

And then the burden is on United to fill that empty seat...which means United has to compete with other airlines.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vandrei
But they might stop flying United.

And then the burden is on United to fill that empty seat...which means United has to compete with other airlines.
Indeed.

The question is how many foolish customers are there out there for UA, as it's rather foolish -- even for the bulk of the frequent flying public -- to even consider paying UA's 2015 ransom rate of $1.50+/minute of flight time just to earn the same number of redeemable miles in 2015 as in 2014. Anyone unable or unwilling to pay the DL/UA per minute ransom rate (of over $1.50 per minute of flight time) has little or nothing to gain by maintaining the historical relationship with DL/UA because of the miles earned from flights to be used for "free" flights -- they should become Kayakers in the main and go kayaking where and when and how it makes sense for that particular trip.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 13, 2014 at 6:26 am
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
AA cannot sit on their hands. Just award miles for dollars or distance. Whichever is greater. They would gain possibly all tiers of elites with that and incentivized all to buy more expensive fares if they can.
Back when Delta first announced this and people here were speculating that UA would match, I suggested that UA do this and was hooted at. I was told that it was unworkable. I still think that this sort of a system is a fabulous way for one airline to capture a ton of business. I would absolutely go with whomever uses this system.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by username
..UA would say, "I knew HVF. HVF was a passenger of mine before switching to AA. aussieinsf, you're no HVF"..
Brilliant! Somewhere there is a smiling Senator Bentsen right now. ^
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by cricketer
Fairly sure this is one of the outcomes Baldrick was hoping for when he came up with this cunning plan.
^^ Best line in this 1500+ post thread!

I can just see $misek walking around Willis Tower with his underpants on his head and two pencils shoved up his nose
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
I think its fair to reward spending..Just buying tickets to sit in a seat and spend very little money is not what I would want to reward if.. I were running an airline..Reward those who spend money with you..Makes sense..
But don't buy into the bs about this that that is what they are doing. It is a devaluation with some people being better off. Rewarding people who spend more could have been done in many different ways. This is just about devaluing the miles programs under the flag of "rewarding high spenders". And I believe that there is a cap on that too.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by vandrei
You did get more. You didn't have to tie up your plans and your money months ago - you are paying for the right to make your plans and plunk down money at the last minute.
Am I missing the part that says you have to buy your tickets in advance and can't wait as well and therefore "not tie up your money"? Sounds like a choice you make. And you're getting "more" too - a better deal on the ticket by buying in advance.

Just as I've said in the DL forum - it's time certain routes stopped becoming "buy one or two and get one free" because of the amount of miles received. The airlines are finally realizing that it's not-sustianable that after an $800 fare to BKK, one is earning nearly enough miles for a free domestic ticket (and more than enough for a free domestic award if the person is an elite receiving bonuses) - One could earn enough miles after just 2-3 transcons, possibly totaling only a few hundred in spend, to get a free domestic ticket that could be redeemed for a ticket that would otherwise have cost as much as was spent in total on those transcons.

Time those who spend $500+ on a ticket and only get a 1,000 to 2,000 miles because it's a short hop start getting rewarded on the same scale as those those who were spending $200 but getting 4,000 to 6,000 miles due to flying transcons.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:40 am

An interesting angle to the changes: they are actually make it better for getting miles on some short flights.

I fly LGA-CLE RT a few times a year.
Discount fare in advance runs about $250-270. Say is is $260.
With the changes I will get 1300 miles.
Actual flight distance is about 420 miles, so right now a round trip gets me 840 miles.

O.K., so this is not going to get me enough for a RT to Europe, but every little bit helps.

Edit:
I see in the Q&A on the UA website that taxes and government imposed fees do not count towards the amount on which the number of points/miles are given.
That makes my calculations shown above incorrect.

Last edited by wanderer35; Jun 13, 2014 at 12:30 pm Reason: Read more information
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:43 am
Suspended

Short-haul flyers generally won't maintain or gain miles under the 2015 scheme unless they are willing and able to pay at least $1.50+/minute of flight time. So you have to be willing to pay DL over c. $130/hour of your pretax income to have a reasonable chance to break even on earning miles under the new program.

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Am I missing the part that says you have to buy your tickets in advance and can't wait as well and therefore "not tie up your money"? Sounds like a choice you make. And you're getting "more" too - a better deal on the ticket by buying in advance.

Just as I've said in the DL forum - it's time certain routes stopped becoming "buy one or two and get one free" because of the amount of miles received. The airlines are finally realizing that it's not-sustianable that after an $800 fare to BKK, one is earning nearly enough miles for a free domestic ticket (and more than enough for a free domestic award if the person is an elite receiving bonuses) - One could earn enough miles after just 2-3 transcons, possibly totaling only a few hundred in spend, to get a free domestic ticket that could be redeemed for a ticket that would otherwise have cost as much as was spent in total on those transcons.

Time those who spend $500+ on a ticket and only get a 1,000 to 2,000 miles because it's a short hop start getting rewarded on the same scale as those those who were spending $200 but getting 4,000 to 6,000 miles due to flying transcons.
Do you fly DL jets (as a pilot)? Isn't the cost for take-off and landing and fuel burn higher per passenger mile flown on a 30-minute flight than on a 5 hour flight (ceteris paribus)?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
To be sure I get this in my head right - PQM is still based on miles flown, correct?

Example

$1000 RT economy fare
5000 miles (to destination and back)
Platinum member

Current calculation:
8750 RDM (5000 x 1.75)
... of which 5000 is PQM

New calculation:
9000 RDM (1000 x 9)
... of which 5000 is PQM
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:49 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by miasmal
To be sure I get this in my head right - PQM is still based on miles flown, correct?
Yes, and I don't see any reason for UA to change that given the fact they already account for price (via PQD) and also offer PQS for the short-hop pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.