Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
There you go again...just because FTers are obsessed with status and miles the rest of the market is. Most flyers don't give a hoot about miles and if everyone on FT evaporated tomorrow RM would barely blink.

This is simply FFP3.0, pure revenue, to be followed by FFP 4.0, margin status applied to status, earning rate, and redemption availability across the Board.

CC churn, MS , MR are all doomed to extinction by 4.0
You are incorrect. We have a multitude of corporate clients - every single request we get has an airline or alliance requirement attached. While we're obligated to offer lower cost alternatives, most of our client employees get their way with their requested carrier or alliance. Don't assume the non FT customer community could care less...they care a lot. A missing FFN in a PNR is one of the issues our junior agents get yelled at most frequently by customers.

Are the people on FB and Twitter howling mad about the change just FTers using other platforms to vent their unhappiness?

Don't assume the FT community is an isolated micro-organism - it's a vocal, participatory representation of the much wider customer base that makes up the majority of people you see at the airport.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
What a fun read through 91 pages...

The OPM thing, as others have said is a red herring.

I am sure there are people who fly on OPM who don't have caps and strict controls in place. I would imagine that group is a very small sample percentage of people overall who fly on OPM.

Where I work, we have little to no choice, with very tight controls on booking the lowest economy fare. We have strict deadlines on purchase by dates. The travel system we are required to use, will not allow us to book on our own cards to capture bonuses. We do have some small flexibility in that we can purchase a non stop fare even if a connection is available at a somewhat lower far -as even my company understands time is money. Even that however is capped at around 250 dollars, so I can't spend 1000 extra dollars on a non stop for example. We can NEVER book domestic tickets in any UP fare (P, HUP etc), even if that fare was cheaper than a standard economy fare. The system simply will not allow a fare that ends up with a seat in F domestically. No way around that.

For International, I am able (based on my position in the company) to book into C, but with severe restrictions of about a 400 dollar gap on lowest available fare across multiple carriers, so if AC is 400 cheaper than UA, I have to go on AC no matter the connection times, etc. If I want to stay and earn on UA, I can certainly fly in economy, but if C/D/J/P are more than a competitor, I can not stay on UA in Business - so they leave it up to me.

In addition to all that, we have deals in place with several carriers, so that the fare my company pays is typically 7-10% under the same fare / flight combo online on .com

My company does understand the benefits (albeit small) that we gain with status, such as irrops, bag fees etc, so they do allow us the small window of flexibility as stated above, but that is all they allow. It only makes sense.

It's the system I have to work with, and I'm not complaining, but just showing the facts to debunk that I can spend at will on OPM.

Why would any company allow employees to spend excessively on business travel expenses to justify personal benefits? That doesn't make a lot of fiscal sense in anyone's books - but it seems that is what UA is wagering on with this change, is the hope that some people who fly will attempt to spend more. It will backfire for them for people like me.

Even as a 1k, with the 11x bonus, this is a devaluation for sure.

What would be nice is a range of other bonuses or benefits that come with status to offset all the devaluations that they have hit us with. Something like 1k's on paid C/D/J/P could get to use GFL for example would be an awesome new benefit in my book!

I don't like the changes at all, and I'm not sure it will ultimately work for UA. It seems, as others have said, there are too many holes in the logic and too many risky gambles they are making on the customers habits and spending patterns.

Too bad they can't do better than simply copy the competition...

We all knew the programs are headed this way, but I myself did not see this with UA until they made a turnaround on service, and flight experience, and where performance was trending upwards instead of the downward spiral they are on.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Your "rule of thumb" makes no sense at all. a typical 747 has only 12 F seats and 52 C seats there are 310 coach seats. if you were even close to filling those premium seats with paying passengers you would convert more coach seats to C. You wouldn't sell upgrades. Instead you sell less than half the premium seats at full fare. you discount or give away the others.

And please describe any airline where the revenue from the premium cabin seats is 10x the coach seats. It just doesn't happen. If it did they would put in more premium seats.
There is a limit on how many passengers are willing to pay the price for business class. Thus there must be a limit on how many seats you have for them. There have been attempts at "all business class" flights, but there weren't enough passengers.

The issue is not "revenue". It's profit. Let's make up some numbers to see. Let's say there is a fixed cost of $100,000 for the airline to fly a plane from A to B. Let's say there is an incremental cost of $500 per passenger. If you have 50 business class pasengers paying $3,000 per ticket you have covered the fixed cost plus the incremental cost for those passengers plus made $500 profit per passenger. Now for coach all you have to do is to cover the $500 incremental cost per passenger. So you can sell them a seat for $550 and make $50 per passenger.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:53 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is a total red herring and a real distraction from the main issues here.

Bucket shop purchasers and "deep discount travelers" are not the pax we're talking about. We're talking about pax who purchase average W fare or higher, because that's what you have to buy to hit the 10 cpm PQD threshold. My UA spend last year was a little over $20K, and will be around $15K this year. Yet my RDM under the "new" system will be cut by at least 45%. And you better believe I'm not happy about it.
And UA would be foolish to drive away your loyalty, but the RDM earnings devaluation copied a la SkyPesos increases the likelyhood for UA to loose your business. There are not a lot of flyers whom spend $10,000 to $20,000 yearly. Airlines need these type of customers.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UAgeek71
The OPM thing, as others have said is a red herring. I am sure there are people who fly on OPM who don't have caps and strict controls in place. I would imagine that group is a very small sample percentage of people overall who fly on OPM.

Where I work, we have little to no choice, with very tight controls on booking the lowest economy fare. We have strict deadlines on purchase by dates. The travel system we are required to use, will not allow us to book on our own cards to capture bonuses. We do have some small flexibility in that we can purchase a non stop fare even if a connection is available at a somewhat lower far -as even my company understands time is money. Even that however is capped at around 250 dollars, so I can't spend 1000 extra dollars on a non stop for example. We can NEVER book domestic tickets in any UP fare (P, HUP etc), even if that fare was cheaper than a standard economy fare. The system simply will not allow a fare that ends up with a seat in F domestically. No way around that.

For International, I am able (based on my position in the company) to book into C, but with severe restrictions of about a 400 dollar gap on lowest available fare across multiple carriers, so if AC is 400 cheaper than UA, I have to go on AC no matter the connection times, etc. If I want to stay and earn on UA, I can certainly fly in economy, but if C/D/J/P are more than a competitor, I can not stay on UA in Business - so they leave it up to me.
The company I was with for about 25 years had a slightly different policy All international is business class regardless of your position. All domestic is coach. They were interested in cheap, but not cheapEST. Had to be Star Alliance. No flyiing Pakistani Air or Aeroflot to save money. Within those guidelines I could book what I wanted.

Originally Posted by UAgeek71
Why would any company allow employees to spend excessively on business travel expenses to justify personal benefits? That doesn't make a lot of fiscal sense in anyone's books - but it seems that is what UA is wagering on with this change, is the hope that some people who fly will attempt to spend more. It will backfire for them for people like me.
I don't see that as what they are doing. Even flying OPM as I do, I'm not going to book an $8,000 fare on the same flight I can get a $6,000 fare. I don't think they expect anyone to do that.

It seems to me that they are saying that they are going to raise the benefits for the people on the $6,000 fare to help keep them as customers. In doing so they either have to reduce the benefits elsewhere or raise costs. They chose to reduce the benefits for the guy paying $1,000 on the same flight.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
... If you have 50 business class passengers paying $3,000 per ticket you have covered the fixed cost plus the incremental cost for those passengers plus made $500 profit per passenger....
This never happens. It looks nice on paper, but it's not realistic, even for SQ.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: United 'Cattle Car', American, JetBlue Airways, Marriott Rewards 'Gold', Amtrak AGR 'Select'
I'm Gonna Miss Those UA Mileage Runs

Originally Posted by Billiken
...thus ends the mileage run
No More LAX-SFO-RNO-SFO -LAX on the weekends - it doesn't matter anyhow, I lost My Premier Silver on February 1st - good luck to those business folk who can stick it to the boss and get the rewards. I'm taking Amtrak :-). Joe G
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by villox
Your math is off on #3.

As a 1K at an 11X bonus, you are getting 11 miles for every dollar spent. This is a cost of ~9cpm The cost is even higher if you have lesser status.

United sells miles at like 3.3cpm, or if you're smart and use mileage multiplier on the right trips, 2.1cpm. THIS would be your cost to stay even with MP.
Only, and only, under the assumption of UA/DL are not increasing the cost of RDM purchase. If all they are after is liability, then rest assured they will increase the RDM price too. Think about that, if I can just pay to get RDMs now at 3.3RDM and redeem for expensive flights, comparing the RDMs you can get from 20cpm at 1K level, who the heck would fly to get miles? Better yet, who will even purchase the flights outright?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Only, and only, under the assumption of UA/DL are not increasing the cost of RDM purchase. If all they are after is liability, then rest assured they will increase the RDM price too. Think about that, if I can just pay to get RDMs now at 3.3RDM and redeem for expensive flights, comparing the RDMs you can get from 20cpm at 1K level, who the heck would fly to get miles? Better yet, who will even purchase the flights outright?
UA has recently cut price of RDM; they're now available for 2.1 cpm through Award Accelerator. Which is still more than they're objectively worth.

The real issue here is availability. Have you searched UA award availability lately? It sucks. The only reason I'm collecting UA miles is for premium cabin redemptions on OZ, TG, BR, NH, and/or TK.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
It's not so much that they are trying to kick lower spenders out the door, it's more that they are giving the bigger spenders a larger share of the RDM pie leaving less for the lower spenders. If they gave the higher spenders more without less for the others, then the pie increases and the only way to deal with that is to devalue RDM.
This, of course, neglects the effect of the CC churners.

Regardless of what UA does, the RDM pie will increase in size, and RDM will be devalued.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jfk747
These changes that ua and dl are implementing will help business travellers like me and get rid of the blogger types who aren't really loyal.Feel free to to fly the us majors but they will no longer cater to you
Originally Posted by jfk747
To the mileage runners and government travellers the us majors no longer value your business... This is the bean counters clipping the riff raff at the knees.
Thanks for this scintillating analysis, but there are some customers on the spend spectrum between "business travellers like you," whom I'm sure are very important as well as diplomatic and gracious, and "riff raff" or "blogger types who aren't really loyal." This change will likely do nothing to repel the disloyal "blogger types" -- what repels them is anything but the lowest fare. But it seems it will do mighty damage to the broad middle of profitable mid-spend flyers, whom UA rather desperately needs. They aren't "riff raff," although you and the airline seem to think so. Their defections have already knocked the wind out of UA PRASM. More to come.

If you think you can fly the airline to profit with 16 full-fare plutocrats up front and nothing but Priceliners down the back, try it yourself.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by morelegroom
of course Coach passengers add as much (or more) economic value . Otherwise you would see all first class airplanes. You don't. You do see all coach airplanes and airlines. There simply are not enough premium passengers to cover costs. (your example comparing 10 FC and 10 Y is simply fantasy.) There are not enough last minute business passengers to cover costs.
Except you completely misunderstood my post.

I was not even speaking of or referring to First Class (nor was Kacee, the poster I responded to, I don't think).

My post was talking about the variation of pricing between the lowest priced Y (economy) fare and the highest priced Y fare, and the potential economic value of passengers buying these varied fares.

Is a .10 cpm flyer who is filling an otherwise empty seat of greater economic value than a .25 cpm flyer?

Call me skeptical.

Bingo.

And frequent flyers fill seats. That's the essence of the unwritten compact - we will fill the seats in exchange for frequent flyer perks.
You did not just say 'essence of the unwritten compact' with a straight face, did you?

What is that even supposed to mean?

There is no essence, no unwritten, and no compact except the terms (the contract) you accept when you join MP.

And, UA is unilaterally redefining the terms of the contract, which is within their rights.

You can already predict what I am going to say next. If you don't like it, ....

lol

The first pro-labor move UA has made in some time
I am glad you retain your sense of humor. Good one!

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jun 12, 2014 at 12:47 am
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So, my award miles this year are 53,680, all TATL, and using an exchange rate of 1.65 USD to 1.00 GBP, under the new scheme I would get 72,104 miles. I am not a big spender, only get E+ due to 1K status, company has a very strict economy only basis regardless of status within the company. I am not gloating, just stating a fact.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
So, my award miles this year are 53,680, all TATL, and using an exchange rate of 1.65 USD to 1.00 GBP, under the new scheme I would get 72,104 miles. I am not a big spender, only get E+ due to 1K status, company has a very strict economy only basis regardless of status within the company. I am not gloating, just stating a fact.
C. $6,600 YTD spending, after taxes are stripped out from your ticket charges, gave you that figure as 1k? What was the YTD spend inclusive of taxes and how many ticketed PNRs for that travel?

The reason I'm curious about this is that most of those UA elite accounts I looked at for UK-US economy class travel seem to be poised for a reduction under this scheme

TIA.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 12, 2014 at 1:55 am
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
For myself and my partner, we fly from LHR around 10 times a year to USA/Canada at an average cost of £750 ($1235) a ticket.

That's $12,350 in spend (probably less as there are some horrific UK imposed taxes)
This will give us each 135,850 RDM for the year at 1K (Platinum at present, 1K later in year, so calculating as 1K)

Under the current program, we're flying on average 11K per flight round trip, so that's 110,000 miles + 110,000 bonus miles as 1K = 220,000

This is a de-valuation of 38.25% and we're spending in excess of $10,000 each.
Yes we have a UA credit card, which will "help" but its helping us now, so it's not really a "booster"

I'm going to take a guess: UA are testing the waters with what is definite: a change to a spend based program, without releasing further details to see what the reaction is.

I should hope the rewards for spending (as a couple) nearly $25,000 in a year and making the GS/1K/Platinum levels are enhanced to retain that level of spend.

Last edited by skycrab; Jun 12, 2014 at 2:26 am Reason: explanation of Platinum->1K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.