Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Fortunately, for most of us there's competition. For the OP, there's Delta, Cathay and Turkish. For me there's BA and VS. We don't have to stick with UA and, for many of us, the reason why we did so was that the overall package was the best. As that changes, I anticipate I will move elsewhere but I'm not sure yet whether next year will be the time.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I am!

As a guy who's clawing his way to 1K via short haul domestics, I'm one of the few for whom this change is net-positive.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: OnePass
The stress mounted, the breaking point had to be reached sooner or later.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I am!

As a guy who's clawing his way to 1K via short haul domestics, I'm one of the few for whom this change is net-positive.

Won't you still be clawing your way to 1K since you still have to actually fly 100K flight miles? I understand you will earn more redeemable miles with high dollar short haul flights (finally I will have a reason to fly United instead of Southwest for those types of trips) but the actual miles I have to fly for 1K stays the same right??
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Originally Posted by uthornsgo
Won't you still be clawing your way to 1K since you still have to actually fly 100K flight miles? I understand you will earn more redeemable miles with high dollar short haul flights (finally I will have a reason to fly United instead of Southwest for those types of trips) but the actual miles I have to fly for 1K stays the same right??
I think that's correct.

So if you flew F from LAX - SFO for $500, you're going to get 5,500 miles as a 1K.

But under the current system, you'd get 600 each way plus 100% bonus.

People who fly short-haul in F will end up with more.

It looks like typical cross country flights will get less, i.e. $1400 LAX-JFK would get 2500 each way plus 100% bonus for 1K and F, so 15,000 total.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I'm excited about the money I'll save when I stop flying UA when the 'new' program starts. I only have three paid UA flights on the horizon...the fewest in 10 years. UA ain't what it used to be and it certainly isn't worth what they're charging. Buy the cheapest airline ticket you can find and herd yourself in with all the rest.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
There is already a very, very lengthy thread on this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...leageplus.html
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
I am less than excited.

Not necessarily just for the miles. But for all the benefits chipped and chipped in the last 2 years.

It is just less valuable. And albeit it is not enough - yet - to convince me to switch everything to a new "home" airlines, I quietly started diversifying. Other *A partners, but also giving another look at other airlines altogether.

I am not 100% unsatisfied. Some things are still working for me, I am not at the point some others are, hating Smisek and all. But I don't think United values my business as much as before. Even if I noticed the FAs on long-haul (sCO) do make an effort to tell me how much they appreciate my business (strangely, only when I get upgraded up cabin, in which case I am not sure how I am more valuable than when sitting in Y... compare this to even CA that custom distributes special newspapers to some of their FF even in Y).

Eventually, after many cuts, they may consider actually increasing benefits. To mend fences. To mark the end of the disorganization area. To mark the arrival of a UA on the upswing. Delta reintroduced free booze international, no? Why not do the same? Do they really think it will have a major negative impact on operating profits? Really?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
I dont think clawing the way to 1K will be to hard, doesn't have to fly the 100K miles as long as you have 120 segments.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I admit, I'm not thrilled by any of the recent changes to the MP program.. that said, there are still some features that are better than the competition. Part of me also wonders when the airline will chip away at these as well... but anyway, yeah.

After trying to refund a ticket with Cathay Pacific (can't do it online, must call a specific hotline which hangs up on you, etc), I appreciate the online cancel/change feature on United's website. Or looking for awards with AA miles, only to find plenty of availability on BA (with horrific fuel surcharges for the award).. even last night, I discovered that AA still doesn't have Main Cabin Extra seating on some of their long-haul flights (specifically DFW-FRA). At least E+ is more or less standard across the UA fleet.

So, it's the little things that count. In some spots, United is ahead by a nose.. (but not much else)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
I dont think clawing the way to 1K will be to hard, doesn't have to fly the 100K miles as long as you have 120 segments.
I've never heard 120 segments called "easy." That's the hard way in my book
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:14 am

Yes, it has nothing to do with the PQM's, but the RDM's I get will actually go up.

I do a lot of $800-$1000 flights EWR-CMH. Under the current system, that's 2,000 RDM's for a 1K round-trip.

Under the new system, that's anywhere from 8,800 to 11,000 miles per trip.

EWR-ATL is also ~$800 or so for me, so that's 8,800 miles. Today, that's 2,980 round trip for a 1K.

I'm gonna do fine, with some EWR-SFO sprinkled in to reach 1K ...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I've never heard 120 segments called "easy." That's the hard way in my book
This year won't be 1K via segs, it'll be mileage... "only" 75 or so segments. Lots of EWR-SFO which helped... next year may be a Plat and not 1K year if I don't keep hitting SFO.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
How about AA or DL, both AS partners? Do they balance things out there?
Maybe true AS -> DL but inferior DL -> AS if you are flying C/F as you don't get as many EQM or RDM on AS.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Add in the fact that PDX is not the best place to be a United elite anyway, and it is probably time to move on (or at least evaluate moving on)...
It depends on your travel patterns. If you are flying ex-SFO then not so good as you won't get upgrades. Not sure where else UA flies from PDX (SEA?). DEN is better for upgrades, ORD not so much.

Originally Posted by Hartmann
60k miles is a one-way to Europe in C. I value that more than $600.
440k v. 500k is significant but probably not the key driver. Personally I would gladly give up 60k if my UDU factor was 80% (as would be the case on AA and DL) instead of <20% as a 1k @ SFO. However all things being equal I would take the 60k if the alternative choice was equally attractive in terms of schedule, convenience (i.e. fewest connections) etc.

AS offers good service from PDX but you will probably find yourself on a quite a few RJs to SEA (where upgrades are tougher). Also I have found it quite difficult to redeem AS miles at the lowest saver levels for peak seasons/destinations (i.e. Mexico), as opposed to UA where I don't have much trouble finding space.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: United 1K , Emirates Platinum, Lufthansa Senator, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Still trying to find any improvement in 2015 program upgrades, so far i have not found some for myself, already the changes to the redemption chart at the beginning of the year did reduce the value of my PDMs (20 - 30 increase in miles requirement on staralliance flights). As I am mainly have to fly long distance in economy this absoluty no improvement. I hope UA takes another look and reconsiders otherwise I have to look for another airline program like AA, which already announced they will not change in 2015. So there is only one way vote with your feet..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.