Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by kb1992
36K Miles the ticket is NH stock.

But you earn zero PQD.
Do we know that for sure? Have partner earnings past March 1 been released?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
.... But you earn zero PQD.
Do we know that for sure? Have partner earnings past March 1 been released?
Unless PQD rules change -- today non-UA ticket stock and no UA operated flights earns zero PQDs. Personally I'm not expecting a liberalization of PQD rules.
Don't expect any change in PQD earning next March, just RDMs.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You're months late with your post. The grumbling "already started" the second it was announced.
Sure, I was one of the first grumbles and moved over to AA.

But this grumbling is coming from the very people the change was supposed to appease.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And did the Gold member understand today the 1K get 25% more (250% vs 200% for Z/P or {275% vs 225% for true J/C/D} with elite bonuses)?
Yes, but his point was all these changes were to make MP miles earnt to be dependent on dollars spent on The ticket. But it still depends on miles flown.

I also think he is the type of flyer UA made the changes for. Lots of F/J purchases but not enough miles to qualify for 1K. Normally he's just a silver.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unless PQD rules change -- today non-UA ticket stock and no UA operated flights earns zero PQDs. Personally I'm not expecting a liberalization of PQD rules.
Don't expect any change in PQD earning next March, just RDMs.
I dont care about PQDs, like many foreign United elites - we fly quite a bit with partner airlines, I meant, do we know how bad partner earnings will be enhanced?
Delta hasnt made it known yet, we can only expect UA to follow
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I meant, do we know how bad partner earnings will be enhanced?
No it's still speculation at this point.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I dont care about PQDs, like many foreign United elites - we fly quite a bit with partner airlines, I meant, do we know how bad partner earnings will be enhanced?
Delta hasnt made it known yet, we can only expect UA to follow
I'd venture a guess in saying look at how DL treats KE for earning. That should give you an idea ...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
I'd venture a guess in saying look at how DL treats KE for earning. That should give you an idea ...
As Kacee says:

Originally Posted by Kacee
No it's still speculation at this point.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
As Kacee says:
And I added my speculation.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:59 am

And I added my speculation.
Yes, and let's hope you are not right!

I would not bet against you at this point though.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Or how DL treats AF, KLM...... From DL website:

When you fly with a partner airline, the fare you paid isn’t always shared with Delta. Therefore, flights that are both marketed and ticketed by Delta’s partner airlines will earn mileage based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the fare class paid.

We currently are working with our partners and more details will be announced later this year at delta.com/partnerairlines.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler View Post
A 1K buying a $1000 ticket now, ORD-NRT-BKK round-trip, earns 36K miles (18K actual miles plus 18K bonus miles).

Question ... travel after March 1, that ticket on UA ticket stock will earn 11K miles. But the rules seem to indicate that non UA ticket stock and non-UA flights still earn actual miles. So if the ticket is bought on ANA ticket stock, using ANA metel, when it is credited to Mileage Plus, will it earn 18K miles or 36K miles?
36K Miles the ticket is NH stock.

But you earn zero PQD.
So, if you're based overseas, where PQD is not a consideration, you would get more UA mileage flying on a partner airline in economy class?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EMan
So if the ticket is bought on ANA ticket stock, using ANA metel, when it is credited to Mileage Plus, will it earn 18K miles or 36K miles?So, if you're based overseas, where PQD is not a consideration, you would get more UA mileage flying on a partner airline in economy class?
No one knows yet how partner flights will credit. The post you are quoting is just speculation. The informed speculation is that UA will leave no such loophole.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
No one knows yet how partner flights will credit. The post you are quoting is just speculation. The informed speculation is that UA will leave no such loophole.
In the absence of any information to the contrary, one can assume that tix booked on partners will earn as they currently do. UA could have easily announced partner earnings changes back when they announced the revenue based RDM earning.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or how DL treats AF, KLM...... From DL website:

When you fly with a partner airline, the fare you paid isn’t always shared with Delta. Therefore, flights that are both marketed and ticketed by Delta’s partner airlines will earn mileage based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the fare class paid.

We currently are working with our partners and more details will be announced later this year at delta.com/partnerairlines.
Right, but KE is even below that. Can't even get MQMs on premium fares. They're marginally better than a non-alliance partner airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.