Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] United Express (UX) route cuts [2014 & onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
West Coast route cuts/additions/material changes:

LAX - 8 daily ends 1 daily starts net reduction 7 daily
LAX-PIT (1x daily)
LAX-PDX (2x daily ended)
LAX-SJC (2x daily)
LAX-BFL (Bakersfield, CA) (2x daily ended)
LAX-YLW (1x daily, moved to SFO)
4 gates in Terminal 6 leased to AA (Gates 60-63)
ADDED LAX-MEL (789)
ADDED LAX-MSP (CR7)
LAX-CLD (7x daily ending May 2015)

SFO
SFO-NRT (reduced x1 777/day, switched to HND)
SFO-LMT (Klamath Falls, OR)(ended)
SFO-MOD (Modesto, CA) (ended)
ADDED SFO-HND (1x daily 772, moved from NRT)
ADDED SFO-YLW (1x daily CR2, moved from LAX)
ADDED SFO-ATL (2x daily 738)

Expanded SFO-MSP (previously 1x daily mainline, winter 2x E75, next summer 1x E75 + 1x mainline)
Expanded SFO-STL (previously 1x daily mainline, soon 1xE75 + 1x mainline)
Expanded SFO-RDU 2x daily mainline over the summer

SEA

SEA-NRT (gone)
SEA-GEG (gone)
SEA-ANC (ended)
SEA-CLE (seasonal, gone)

PDX
PDX-SEA (ended)
PDX-EUG (ended)
PDX-RDM (ended)
PDX-CLE (seasonal, gone)
PDX-LMT (Klamath Falls, OR)(ended)

LAS
LAS-FAT (Fresno CA)
LAS-PSP (Palm Springs, CA)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] United Express (UX) route cuts [2014 & onward]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 8:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by wrp96
Originally Posted by goalie
Any guesses when Air Jeff decides to tell me about this for my flight booked PDX-SEA on 4/1/15? Contest anyone?
Hopefully before 4/1/15
^

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Originally Posted by goalie
Any guesses when Air Jeff decides to tell me about this for my flight booked PDX-SEA on 4/1/15? Contest anyone?
Counting back 30 days, if we're picking squares I'll take March 2.
Even in Air Jeff made the announcement today, I'd put my money on you (or your square)
Old May 23, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mtndave47
Checked my SEA-PDX-EUG one way booking for mid Sept on UA and it shows an error. So how does the refund process work on canceled itineraries or perhaps they will reroute me thru SFO? Too bad they couldnt pick a day near the current EOS to minimize impact on passengers. So conveinent to connect in PDX or SEA instead of SFO. I guess the BA miles will be handy for AS/QX redemption!
you can just call and tell them you want a refund because you are not willing to accept routing via SFO. then book it on AS and enjoy the vastly superior experience.
Old May 23, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Now if they can upguage SMF-SFO that would be nice. I dislike the E120 prop plane immensely.
LOL. keep dreaming. i talk to the FAs and GAs about that all the time. believe it or not UA basically prints money on that flight from what i have heard. if they up capacity, they probably cannot hold the SFO-connecting fares as high as they are.

what's worse is that the flight is outrageously unreliable. at one point last year i went 5 consecutive bookings of having to be rerouted or drive to/from SFO because of delays/cancels.

the one i am quite worried about is SMF-(ACV)-CEC. i would hate to lose that flight but i see the time coming on the horizon when an SFO connection or driving is all that is left. regrettably i think that horizon will be before end of 2014.
Old May 23, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
It's a shame this airline is fading fast. They need help asap! LAX-PDX gone. Just amazing. I'm guessing LAX will go down to ORD, SFO, DEN, IAH, EWR and maybe we see JFK get cut also. I wouldn't be suprised. LAX will be like any other city. SEA is getting cut next, LAS is mostly rj, phx is rj. Basically everything is rj except for hub flying. Sad.
"UAL's April 2014 ... consolidated capacity (available seat miles) decreased 1.3 percent versus April 2013."

"UAL's March 2014 ... consolidated capacity (available seat miles) increased 2.7 percent versus March 2013."

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....rol-news&nyo=0

United Airlines Launches Nonstop Summer Service From Chicago to Edinburgh

United Airlines to Launch Nonstop Service Between San Francisco and Tokyo's Haneda Airport

United Airlines to Launch New Nonstop Service between Denver and Panama City

New United Concourse at Boston Logan Offers Customers Modern, Streamlined Airport Experience

United Airlines Launches New Year-Round Service Between Houston and Munich

Soon UA will fade away to nothing...
Old May 23, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
The logic that PDX-LAX cuts means JFK-LAX is cut as well is baffling. If only FT could stick to logical conclusions...but I know, we like this drama. I'm willing to bet LAX-JFK sticks around a year from now, and will even give 2:1 odds.
I looked at April 22 - 24, 2015 on UA.com and still see the PDX - LAX non stop 2X / day (CR2 and CR7).

Has UA just not removed it from the schedule yet?

Shockingly, I know, I also searched JFK - LAX through the end of schedule and still see UA is offering their 6 Daily Non-Stops with PS service!

For EUG fliers, don't the 7 daily Non-Stops from SFO cover most of your needs?

Unless you are only going to Portland (a 111 mile drive), how does the elimination of this flight negatively impact your travels? (I imagine for most, PDX was just a transit point anyway, right?) There are also still the two daily flights EUG-DEN is that is a better connecting point.

Last edited by LarkSFO; May 23, 2014 at 9:28 am
Old May 23, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I looked at April 22 - 24, 2015 on UA.com and still see the PDX - LAX non stop 2X / day (CR2 and CR7).

Has UA just not removed it from the schedule yet?

Shockingly, I know, I also searched JFK - LAX through the end of schedule and still see UA is offering their 6 Daily Non-Stops with PS service!
Given that that PDX cuts have not been formally announced why would you expect they have already been removed from the schedule?

6 non-stops is pretty weak considering UA used to be a dominant player in the JFK-LAX market. AA will be offering 12, DL 8, even jetblue will have more than 6 by early next year.
Old May 23, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanaka07
Quick question:

I have an award itinerary in November:
PDX-SEA UA
SEA-ICN OZ
ICN-HKT OZ

returning in November
MLE-SIN SQ
SIN-TPE BR
TPE-SEA BR
SEA-PDX UA

If PDX-SEA-PDX on UAX is indeed disappearing, will UA purchase separate PDX-SEA-PDX flights for me to catch my award flights to/from SEA? Or will they rebook me:
PDX-SFO-ICN-HKT,MLE-SIN-TPE-SFO-PDX?
you could easily request (and almost surely be granted) PDX-DEN/SFO-SEA on the outbound and SEA-DEN/SFO-PDX on the return since it's all UA metal.

if you don't want to do that, and you just want to fly another airline from SEA to PDX, you'll be on the hook to buy your own ticket and they'll just drop the PDX-SEA and SEA-PDX legs from your itin. there is a less than 0% chance UA will pony up $$ for a ticket on another airline for you to fly PDX-SEA.
Old May 23, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zoegksf
So if the EMB120's are being retired what will happen to PSP, SBA, ACV etc...Isn't even St. George, Skywests hometown served by the 120?
I flew out of SGU last October in a CR2.

Now I wonder about my SFO-SEA-PDX booked itinerary in November. SFO-PDX direct, or SFO-SEA-SFO-PDX (which would be absolutely hilarious)?

I think this ends all UAX service out of Seattle; I don't think they've had service to Spokane or Pasco in quite some time...
Old May 23, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Given that that PDX cuts have not been formally announced why would you expect they have already been removed from the schedule?
Well, that is why I asked the question.

If they are cutting the flight as of 9/19, when will UA announce this and take the flight off the schedule?

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
6 non-stops is pretty weak considering UA used to be a dominant player in the JFK-LAX market. AA will be offering 12, DL 8, even jetblue will have more than 6 by early next year.
Well, at least acknowledge that AA's 12 flights are on glorified RJ's! (at least in comparison to UA 757's and DL's 76W's on the route). AA actually reduced their daily seats with the move to A321's.

How many daily flights did UA used to run LAX-JFK?

Please don't forget the 13(!) Daily Non-Stops LAX-EWR either.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:02 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zoegksf
So if the EMB120's are being retired what will happen to PSP, SBA, ACV etc...Isn't even St. George, Skywests hometown served by the 120?
UA's SGU service went to CRJ-200 ex-DEN sometime in the past year; they axed the LAX-SGU service on EMB-120s a while back.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Well, at least acknowledge that AA's 12 flights are on glorified RJ's! (at least in comparison to UA 757's and DL's 76W's on the route). AA actually reduced their daily seats with the move to A321's.
How is an A321 a glorified RJ? Other than being able to make a left turn on a 757, I don't see a ton of difference (know pilots might disagree WRT thrust).

IIRC AA actually said it was no change in daily capacity on the route...smaller planes but increased frequency.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
That's a joke, right? "Glorified RJs" with three classes vs. United's 2 class 757s with fewer frequencies, yes, UA definitely has the upper hand
Old May 23, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
I hate seeing routes cut from the network, especially 'cool' ones like the legacy UA PNW operation, but these cuts are a different story. Of course, it might not neatly fit into the anti-UA(CO) narrative on FT, but the truth is the truth.

All of the SkyWest PNW E120 flying is conducted 'at-risk' by OO under a marketing relationship with United. United is not dictating schedules, capacity, or anything else about these services besides slapping a UA code and flight number on these trips. In 2008-2010, United terminated most of the non-SFO UAX contract flying in the PNW, which included the SEA turboprop operation and most of the same at PDX. OO stepped in and elected to continue to offer the service on an at-risk (non-contract) basis, which meant that OO assumed responsibility for the P&L of the service and UA collected only the revenue it contributed to the system once pax were online.

For UA, most of the service was extraneous because virtually all of the connections (aside from the shortest ones) made possible by the OO flying were duplicated via SFO with contracted UAX operations. However, OO stayed in the PDX markets predominantly because there was a small, high-RASM local market which provided incremental feed to UA and PDX/SEA and the E120 was the right airplane. SEA, on the other hand, was more competitive and likely constrained by OO's own contractual relationship with AS.

Now, SkyWest has disclosed the fact that it has a pilot shortage, much like many of the other SJPs. It is also progressively trying to retire the Brasilia fleet. At the same time, it has contractual obligations to AS, DL, UA and AA on the West Coast that it must meet with its existing fleet and pilot roster. The at-risk services are not SkyWest's core business, and if resources need to be devoted to contract ops at the expense of at-risk flying, then that's what will happen.

As for PDX-LAX, at least 15 of UA's SkyWest CR2 ops are pro-rate, so I wouldn't be shocked if that one is at-risk too and has been cut by OO. Still, it's a market UA probably should have a presence in and I am surprised to see it cut.

For those yearning for the days of UA dominance up and down the West Coast, that ship sailed circa 2000 (and had been slowly pulling out of port for about 15 years before that) and has nothing to do with the drawdown of a handful of OO at-risk turboprop routes ex-PDX.
I agree that this likely has to do with the UA-OO relationship, and in particular the pilot shortage. Its also probably something that Jeff would not like to have happen. BUT, the impact that this will have on UA can't be ignored. UAL in 1Q 2014 had 305K passengers at PDX (mainline; skywest is reported separately and I can't break out as its both DAL and UAL express flights), with SW having 525K, AA having 128K, DL having 346K, and AS having 1.4M. Skywest (much of which is UAL at PDX) is at 244K. The Portland Metro area has about 2.8M people

For corporate accounts and High Value fliers in PDX (and there are many high value ones, the area as you indicate is wealthy with substantial business with international operations) taking away SEA and LAX flights basically takes United out of the running as a usable airline. I personally know one GS and 1K flier at PDX which have held on with UAL (others have already switched to DAL/AS), I e-mailed both, both said they are bailing. They both need access to west coast cities, and with UAL not providing that (and not doing it well before...) they will move to DAL (taking their international paid J traffic from UAL to DAL) and AS.

Just guessing from the size of the 1K/GS ranks we have heard discussed (most recent number was 65K 1Ks) and that UAL was at one time the leading airline in Portland, I am guessing that UAL probably still has at least 3-500 1ks/GS that fly via PDX, and that most of them will leave with no real west coast service. That will have impacts system wide, and there is nothing that UAL can really do about it. It does not have the mainline planes to add LAX-PDX, and a single once a day is not going to do the trick anyway. Just another reason for more HVFers to leave...

p.s. AAL may be content to just let AS fly for them, but only AS and DL flying LAX-PDX, I would not be surprised to see either SW or AAL add the route.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that is the funniest thing i have read all day.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Well, at least acknowledge that AA's 12 flights are on glorified RJ's! (at least in comparison to UA 757's and DL's 76W's on the route)
Please watch the first half of this video and tell me what is RJ about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20zshmYxhLw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.