Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] United Express (UX) route cuts [2014 & onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
West Coast route cuts/additions/material changes:

LAX - 8 daily ends 1 daily starts net reduction 7 daily
LAX-PIT (1x daily)
LAX-PDX (2x daily ended)
LAX-SJC (2x daily)
LAX-BFL (Bakersfield, CA) (2x daily ended)
LAX-YLW (1x daily, moved to SFO)
4 gates in Terminal 6 leased to AA (Gates 60-63)
ADDED LAX-MEL (789)
ADDED LAX-MSP (CR7)
LAX-CLD (7x daily ending May 2015)

SFO
SFO-NRT (reduced x1 777/day, switched to HND)
SFO-LMT (Klamath Falls, OR)(ended)
SFO-MOD (Modesto, CA) (ended)
ADDED SFO-HND (1x daily 772, moved from NRT)
ADDED SFO-YLW (1x daily CR2, moved from LAX)
ADDED SFO-ATL (2x daily 738)

Expanded SFO-MSP (previously 1x daily mainline, winter 2x E75, next summer 1x E75 + 1x mainline)
Expanded SFO-STL (previously 1x daily mainline, soon 1xE75 + 1x mainline)
Expanded SFO-RDU 2x daily mainline over the summer

SEA

SEA-NRT (gone)
SEA-GEG (gone)
SEA-ANC (ended)
SEA-CLE (seasonal, gone)

PDX
PDX-SEA (ended)
PDX-EUG (ended)
PDX-RDM (ended)
PDX-CLE (seasonal, gone)
PDX-LMT (Klamath Falls, OR)(ended)

LAS
LAS-FAT (Fresno CA)
LAS-PSP (Palm Springs, CA)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] United Express (UX) route cuts [2014 & onward]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
We know how much you love to blame CO for every little change, but really you should check your facts on this. The flights being cut are Skywest operated flights that are "at risk" flying under a marketing relationship with United. Skywest is the one who does the scheduling etc.
I wasn't aware skywest flew ar risk route of lax-pdx. UA put crj700 then people booked elsewhere, then crj200, and now it's cancelled.

As far as Hawaii flights, i go to Hawaii several times a year, I'm here now and no way would I take a 737 to Hawaii. No way! Again, I'm not alone, I hear people, I flew United on a small jet or I hear, how nice Hawaiian is. UA can't compete to Hawaii. Let's not forget February, UA had several flights weight restricted.

Some ideas are bad, and downgrading PDX and SEA and Hawaii flights are major mistakes and it's showing. Now UA will start a very slow decrease in LAX with giving up gates. As I said, LAX will be hub only flying with a few international flights, then those will go too.
Old May 24, 2014, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I wasn't aware skywest flew ar risk route of lax-pdx. UA put crj700 then people booked elsewhere, then crj200, and now it's cancelled.

As far as Hawaii flights, i go to Hawaii several times a year, I'm here now and no way would I take a 737 to Hawaii. No way! Again, I'm not alone, I hear people, I flew United on a small jet or I hear, how nice Hawaiian is. UA can't compete to Hawaii. Let's not forget February, UA had several flights weight restricted.

Some ideas are bad, and downgrading PDX and SEA and Hawaii flights are major mistakes and it's showing. Now UA will start a very slow decrease in LAX with giving up gates. As I said, LAX will be hub only flying with a few international flights, then those will go too.
I meant SEA - PDX, PDX - RDM, PDX - EUG.
Old May 24, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
I meant SEA - PDX, PDX - RDM, PDX - EUG.
I know, just busting your chops
Old May 24, 2014, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I know, just busting your chops
Lol
Old May 24, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
United despite the protestations on here will keep cutting routes and further losing contracts. Operationally, they are still in decline. People can say that's just people whining on here, but internally, with their 5 operational goals, each month is a little worse than the month before including this current month which has been the worst I have seen for them. For those of you who are misguided thinking things are improving, I assure you, statistically, they are not. Worst ever numbers on customer satisfaction and on-time continues to considerably trail the competition.
Any chance you could post the monthly NPS figures for the past couple years? Dying to know.
Old May 24, 2014, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spin88
No offense, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Delta is doing well with older A/C because (1) they own them and don't have to make very large payments for them like UAL does, and (2) not having major payments has the flexibility to fly them less, which helps operational performance as well as adding flights when more capacity is needed. There is a little more maintenance, but UAL has no other notable advantages over DAL on these routes. DAL uses 763/757s and UAL uses 757s and to EWR a whole lot of stuff.... DAL's labor contracts (and having one work group) gives it a cost advantage over UAL. Re fuel burn? AA is the airline (with new A321s) that probably has a fuel advantage on these flights.
I didn't say UA in my OP... I said DL didn't automatically have an advantage relative to the smaller and newer A321 (in fact I lead off my sentence by saying "AA on the other hand...). A point you've agreed with in your response
Old May 24, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 787fan
Seriously a bunch of chicken littles

UA added like 10 new routes in the last couple quarters and no one gave them any credit

Meanwhile some E120s and CR2s getting cut and people are predicting bankruptcy and liquidation.
Sounds like you've been Smiseked. 1Ks = "chicken littles?"

10 new routes? So how many did they drop? I think dropping PDX-LAX or PDX-SEA or NRT-BKK or NRT-HKG is a big deal. Not so sure adding ORD-Edinburgh is yen for those yangs.

No one is predicting bankruptcy. I'm experiencing "less" every time I fly UA, and "less" is based upon a steady devaluation of the UA product since the merger with CO, as testified in painful detail in so many other posts.
Old May 24, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM

UA added like 10 new routes in the last couple quarters and no one gave them any credit

Meanwhile some E120s and CR2s getting cut and people are predicting bankruptcy and liquidation.
If you dig even a bit below the talking points you'd realize that most of the new routes have come at the heavy cost of lost routes.
Old May 24, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
United despite the protestations on here will keep cutting routes and further losing contracts. Operationally, they are still in decline. People can say that's just people whining on here, but internally, with their 5 operational goals, each month is a little worse than the month before including this current month which has been the worst I have seen for them. For those of you who are misguided thinking things are improving, I assure you, statistically, they are not. Worst ever numbers on customer satisfaction and on-time continues to considerably trail the competition.
UA has not take any action that would warrant improvement of its customer satisfaction scores. As UA forces more people to fly other airlines (e.j., by cutting routes, adding RJs that people wont fly), people are exposed to the better service and accoutrements offered by the competition. As more people become exposed to the happy and helpful staff of AA and DL, they realize that UA is so so far behind. The customer satisfaction scores are not going to improve (or even remain steady) unless UA takes dramatic action to improve itself. The memory of even one very poor customer service experience is long lasting.
Old May 24, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Any chance you could post the monthly NPS figures for the past couple years? Dying to know.
Got to be highly privileged / confidential information.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
If you dig even a bit below the talking points you'd realize that most of the new routes have come at the heavy cost of lost routes.
AND United is alienating established customers in favor of possibly gaining new customers on the new flights.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle

You are seriously ignoring the cuts and downgauging. UA is treading water at best.

The merger was horrible for customers if UA moves to kill the network at the very same time they are touting it.

As a SEA based 1k, don't give me that crap about an upgauge SFO route. They've cut tcon and midcon AND regional but dumped a capacity into SFO. Those birds are as EMPTY as the gesture made to make us think they care after a clear net withdrawal. AS is king, DL is making a push to peal away and UA tucked tail. End of story.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

UA added like 10 new routes in the last couple quarters and no one gave them any credit.
Seriously - what 10 routes are you referring to?
Old May 24, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I'm flying LAX-PDX 03JUL. We booked in May using the MP visa companion cert and this was the only flight with T. Telling in its own right. Anyway, while I'm not looking forward to 2.5 hours on a CR2, it's better than not going. Of course if we were paying market rate UNITED would never have been a contender.

Sad to see LAX-PDX disappear, but honestly there are plenty of better options anyway.
Old May 24, 2014, 11:06 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Seriously a bunch of chicken littles.
I assume you are based out of a hub?

I bet your opinion would be a little different if you are based outside of large hub MSAs (Bay Area, LA basin, NYC metro, etc).

At my city, in the early stages of the merger, we had almost 40 daily departures with half being on mainline. Now it is barely over 20 with about 5 or so mainline departures after the LAX route is cut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.