Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] United Express (UX) route cuts [2014 & onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
West Coast route cuts/additions/material changes:

LAX - 8 daily ends 1 daily starts net reduction 7 daily
LAX-PIT (1x daily)
LAX-PDX (2x daily ended)
LAX-SJC (2x daily)
LAX-BFL (Bakersfield, CA) (2x daily ended)
LAX-YLW (1x daily, moved to SFO)
4 gates in Terminal 6 leased to AA (Gates 60-63)
ADDED LAX-MEL (789)
ADDED LAX-MSP (CR7)
LAX-CLD (7x daily ending May 2015)

SFO
SFO-NRT (reduced x1 777/day, switched to HND)
SFO-LMT (Klamath Falls, OR)(ended)
SFO-MOD (Modesto, CA) (ended)
ADDED SFO-HND (1x daily 772, moved from NRT)
ADDED SFO-YLW (1x daily CR2, moved from LAX)
ADDED SFO-ATL (2x daily 738)

Expanded SFO-MSP (previously 1x daily mainline, winter 2x E75, next summer 1x E75 + 1x mainline)
Expanded SFO-STL (previously 1x daily mainline, soon 1xE75 + 1x mainline)
Expanded SFO-RDU 2x daily mainline over the summer

SEA

SEA-NRT (gone)
SEA-GEG (gone)
SEA-ANC (ended)
SEA-CLE (seasonal, gone)

PDX
PDX-SEA (ended)
PDX-EUG (ended)
PDX-RDM (ended)
PDX-CLE (seasonal, gone)
PDX-LMT (Klamath Falls, OR)(ended)

LAS
LAS-FAT (Fresno CA)
LAS-PSP (Palm Springs, CA)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] United Express (UX) route cuts [2014 & onward]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer:22910615
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Come on, it's perfectly clear: UA is preparing to announce their partnership with AS, to be initiated immediately after the AS / DL partnership ends.
Is this a sick joke, or some kind of cry for help?
It may not be a cry but the fat lady singing. I think it may be time to bolt to AA. My wife is going to flip when she hears this. I'm in shock, disbelief, etc... No more PDX - LAX...
Old May 22, 2014, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
I'm in shock, disbelief, etc... No more PDX - LAX...
All I can think of is... that like an army losing a ground war, they are falling back, back, back, retreating to defend hubs only, Alamo style. Like SEA-NRT, like BKK and the NRT tags, PDX-LAX and these other cut routes are non-hub-centric. Remember, not too many who flew pmCO didn't pass to or through EWR, IAH, or GUM.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
As an AS flyer -- oh god please no!!!!
OK, well I don't think it is really very likely...

UA already has a strong west coast network, too much competition exists between UA and AS.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by goalie
Any guesses when Air Jeff decides to tell me about this for my flight booked PDX-SEA on 4/1/15? Contest anyone?
The computer will do one of two things -- either replace it with a substitute connection if there's something reasonable in the market, or drop it altogether if there isn't.

My ANC-SEA-SFO went to ANC-SFO-SEA-SFO when they dropped ANC-SEA.

My FLL-MCO dropped altogether when they stopped flying intra-Florida as Express.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
With DL launching SEA - PDX using CR9s with an F cabin this isn't really all that surprising. I know we on the sCO side have had a few FA trip pairings where we would fly EWR - SEA layover then have to deadhead on the EMB-120 to PDX to work a PDX - EWR flight. I've never worked that trip but the ones who have said they don't much care for it and would always try to get rid of it.
So, are you confirming that the OP is correct?

Not just another a.nut WAG?
Old May 22, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
I should have guessed this would happen when UA dropped SEA-NRT. Now there will be no competition for DL PDX-NRT, unless it's via "ole reliable" SFO.

We should start a post trying to guess what routes Jeff will drop next.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:39 pm

So, are you confirming that the OP is correct?

Not just another a.nut WAG?
Yes OP is correct according to a poster over on a.net who works at PDX it was confirmed via his station manager.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by channa
The computer will do one of two things -- either replace it with a substitute connection if there's something reasonable in the market, or drop it altogether if there isn't.
When UA dropped all service to my kid's college town last fall, throwing his booked holiday travel into limbo, the UA computer did exactly nothing. I had to look up alternate flights on another airline, call in and honcho a leg-by-leg rebook, which with SHARES and supervisors involved took about 90 minutes.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
All I can think of is... that like an army losing a ground war, they are falling back, back, back, retreating to defend hubs only, Alamo style. Like SEA-NRT, like BKK and the NRT tags, PDX-LAX and these other cut routes are non-hub-centric. Remember, not too many who flew pmCO didn't pass to or through EWR, IAH, or GUM.
Perhaps they will just retreat back to EWR, IAH... After all those markets worked for pmCO.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Checked my SEA-PDX-EUG one way booking for mid Sept on UA and it shows an error. So how does the refund process work on canceled itineraries or perhaps they will reroute me thru SFO? Too bad they couldnt pick a day near the current EOS to minimize impact on passengers. So conveinent to connect in PDX or SEA instead of SFO. I guess the BA miles will be handy for AS/QX redemption!
Old May 22, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tanaka07
...Always fly PDX-SEA-FRA. The UAX portion is ALWAYS consistently full of people transiting to SEA-FRA. Not looking forward to being rerouted via SFO, DEN or ORD.
On the bright side PDX-SFO-FRA is 1000 more EQMs each way than PDX-SEA-FRA (for a non-elite).
Old May 22, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
So if the EMB120's are being retired what will happen to PSP, SBA, ACV etc...Isn't even St. George, Skywests hometown served by the 120?
Old May 22, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by LASUA1K

Anyway, LAX will probably lose SEA next. Pretty sure of that.

I had a non-stop SEA-LAX booked with United for next month. Two days ago I was notified it had been changed to SEA-SFO and SFO-LAX. It certainly appears that SEA-LAX is fading away.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans:22910728
Originally Posted by sinoflyer:22910615
Come on, it's perfectly clear: UA is preparing to announce their partnership with AS, to be initiates immediately after the AS / DL partnership ends.
Is this a sick joke, or some kind of cry for help?
It may not be a cry but the fat lady singing. I think it may be time to bolt to AA. My wife is going to flip when she hears this. I'm in shock, disbelief, etc... No more PDX - LAX...
Yup, the Mrs was baffled. Like me, she just can't wrap her head around it. She just returned from LAX only 2 days ago. She asked me to look into status matches for different airlines.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Quick question:

I have an award itinerary in November:
PDX-SEA UA
SEA-ICN OZ
ICN-HKT OZ

returning in November
MLE-SIN SQ
SIN-TPE BR
TPE-SEA BR
SEA-PDX UA

If PDX-SEA-PDX on UAX is indeed disappearing, will UA purchase separate PDX-SEA-PDX flights for me to catch my award flights to/from SEA? Or will they rebook me:
PDX-SFO-ICN-HKT,MLE-SIN-TPE-SFO-PDX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.