Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase MileagePlus Select Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Should once your billing statement with annual spending of $35K exceeded is posted. I haven't gotten there myself yet on that card this year.

My final EQMs (hit the cap) for the year posted 5 weeks back -- posted about 2 weeks after the statement, posted dated back to the end of the month.
Should have hit the $35k figure some time ago. I'll have to check the statements to be sure.

So here's a dumb question. How can I tell which card is which? One says "Mileage Plus Awards" and the other "Mileage Plus Card." Both are legacy cards of some sort or another. One is Select. Thanks, by the way, for your presence here. I've learned a lot from you over the years. ^
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
... One says "Mileage Plus Awards" and the other "Mileage Plus Card." Both are legacy cards of some sort or another. One is Select. ....
The details of the card's MP rewards can be found on the Chase site - see the card's "Account Details", select "See rewards details"

Believe the "Mileage Plus Awards" (silver gray) is the low end, 1 mile per $, no bonus for flight purchases, no PQMs for flight purchase -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ering-old.html

The United MileagePlus® Select Card (bluish card) is one of the cards that earn PQMs, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-benefits.html
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:12 pm

Should have hit the $35k figure some time ago. I'll have to check the statements to be sure.

So here's a dumb question. How can I tell which card is which? One says "Mileage Plus Awards" and the other "Mileage Plus Card." Both are legacy cards of some sort or another. One is Select. Thanks, by the way, for your presence here. I've learned a lot from you over the years. ^
Okay, now you guys have me confused. Or maybe it's partly the way mile credits post to the account.

My MP Select card (blue) says MileagePlus Select on the front of the card. When I go to my UA-MP account page, I see a short summary of the latest activity, and a link to view activity since my last statement, as well as a pull-down to select activity for a particular statement period. Except that the activity periods I can select are by quarter up to 12/31/2014. They must have stopped doing quarterly statements.

All activity since 1/1/2015 comes up when you go to the "View activity since my last statement" link. The details are divided into two sections: airline and non-airline activity, followed by a summary of any award activity. My PQMs show as various entries throughout the year as I make purchases on ua.com, up to the 5,000 annual max. The other 5,000 non-PQM award miles bonus for keeping the card appears on the card anniversary date, not on a calendar basis. I have never heard of a $35K threshold for anything on this card, although you can spend $25K on the card to meet the PQD requirement for Silver-Gold-Platinum.

So do I have the same Select card you do, or are there several flavors of legacy cards out there?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by othermike27
... So do I have the same Select card you do, or are there several flavors of legacy cards out there?
There a multiple versions.

Some legacy cards offer no PQM benefit.
Some offer united.com purchase PQMs (up to 5,000 PQMs).
Some offer an annual PQM bonus (5,000 PQMs) for exceeding $35,000 annual spending.
And one (the legacy Select Platinum) offers both.
Plus there is a legacy Presidential Plus offers unlimited Flexible PQMs

BTW, none of the above cards are open to new customers.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I've always had the 5k PQMs for keeping the Chase Select card post by now... but nothing. Nor am I seeing the PQMs post for the flights I've purchased on UA.com. Did things recently change?
My PQM for UA purchases have been posting properly, including my most recent batch dated May 31. IME, these consistently post for me by calendar month, dated the last day of the month of purchase, usually [posted] around the 20th of the following month. I didn't pay attention to when exactly the latest batch posted, but if typical, was dated May 31 and would have posted around June 20 - give or take a day.

I'm not sure which place you are referring to, but I only have one (select) card. If you're referring to how they post on the UA site, the PQMs post as "PQM Chase Bonus" and my RDM post as "Chase Select Card Purchases".

Originally Posted by othermike27
I have never heard of a $35K threshold for anything on this card, although you can spend $25K on the card to meet the PQD requirement for Silver-Gold-Platinum.

So do I have the same Select card you do, or are there several flavors of legacy cards out there?
I'm confused about this as well.

I don't believe the select card ever did PQM for a $35,000 annual spend, though I'm almost positive there was a different card that had that (I'm sure someone else knows which and will post eventually). My select card doesn't have that either - 5000 RDM at anniversary date, and the 1 PQM/$ spent on UA.com, up to 5000/year.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I don't believe the select card ever did PQM for a $35,000 annual spend, though I'm almost positive there was a different card that had that (I'm sure someone else knows which and will post eventually). My select card doesn't have that either - 5000 RDM at anniversary date, and the 1 PQM/$ spent on UA.com, up to 5000/year.
As explained prior to your post, there were / are multiple legacy cards with a variety of EQM/PQM bonus programs.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by emcampbe

From my statement

4/7/2016 Chase $35K Spend PQM Bonus 0 0 0 5,000

We have two chase cards The $140 per year Mileage Plus Card card has the PQM bonus the $90 per year Mileage plus Select card does not.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by morelegroom
... We have two chase cards The $140 per year Mileage Plus Card card has the PQM bonus the $90 per year Mileage plus Select card does not.
As the above links document, the $140 card was previous known as Select Platinum at one point in its life.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
From my statement

4/7/2016 Chase $35K Spend PQM Bonus 0 0 0 5,000

We have two chase cards The $140 per year Mileage Plus Card card has the PQM bonus the $90 per year Mileage plus Select card does not.
Wow. You have both? Does that mean you can get upto 15K PQM per year from the cards? Lucky you
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by expressboy
Wow. You have both? Does that mean you can get upto 15K PQM per year from the cards? Lucky you
I said "We " DW and I. two MP accounts. and Yes but it has not made any difference since for 6 years we have always flown together. (She is disabled and we are both retired. as a practical matter she has to fly fly business class) We will both make platinum in September with the Chase waiver and PQM She will have 76,000 and I will have 81,000. However our PQD is so low we could not make 1 K even if we have 100,000 pqm. We plan trips in such a way that we usually get around 11 pqm per pqd.

What is interesting is that we have the following events.

1) in December 2016 I make million mile status.
2) In august and December 2017 our Turkish air lines gold status match cards expire. So we lose club access.
3) At some point we could "convert" our two accounts to one Club card account. There are often promotions giving a free year. Otherwise it is $400 instead of $230 for roughly the same mileage earning
4) or we can abandon the CC mileage pursuit since have permanent gold status and we buy first class fares and and use our 2% cash back fidelity card
5) as platinum members we might do a status match with American

I mention this since it is getting very very difficult to redeem miles for premium seats. We have 700,000 miles between us and we have been using them for economy seats for family members.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:48 pm

I still use the older Select card and do receive up to 5k PQM per year. They credit after each billing period.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I said "We " DW and I. two MP accounts. and Yes but it has not made any difference since for 6 years we have always flown together. (She is disabled and we are both retired. as a practical matter she has to fly fly business class) We will both make platinum in September with the Chase waiver and PQM She will have 76,000 and I will have 81,000. However our PQD is so low we could not make 1 K even if we have 100,000 pqm. We plan trips in such a way that we usually get around 11 pqm per pqd.

What is interesting is that we have the following events.

1) in December 2016 I make million mile status.
2) In august and December 2017 our Turkish air lines gold status match cards expire. So we lose club access.
3) At some point we could "convert" our two accounts to one Club card account. There are often promotions giving a free year. Otherwise it is $400 instead of $230 for roughly the same mileage earning
4) or we can abandon the CC mileage pursuit since have permanent gold status and we buy first class fares and and use our 2% cash back fidelity card
5) as platinum members we might do a status match with American

I mention this since it is getting very very difficult to redeem miles for premium seats. We have 700,000 miles between us and we have been using them for economy seats for family members.
Not sure how applicable it is to the legacy cards, but I will state that there are some small benefits to having the Explorer or Club card even if you are lifetime gold. Either will allow CPU eligibility on award tickets if you pay the taxes with the card. Club card membership will allow you to have free award redeposits / no close-in booking fees even if you don't make plat. If you are doing premium/international flying it is a steep fee just for that. Just putting some info on the table.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Not sure how applicable it is to the legacy cards, but I will state that there are some small benefits to having the Explorer or Club card even if you are lifetime gold. Either will allow CPU eligibility on award tickets if you pay the taxes with the card. Club card membership will allow you to have free award redeposits / no close-in booking fees even if you don't make plat. If you are doing premium/international flying it is a steep fee just for that. Just putting some info on the table.
Thank you. I was aware of the award redeposit benefit but not the other.
CPU Might be useful if I ever fly by myself. Minor advantage to being disabled is that we have never been shifted to Y on an Irrops. (may have a long wait )
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
I put a reservation on hold using FareLock. During the FareLock period, there was a schedule change that I accepted online.
When I went to purchase the ticket online, there was no option to complete the purchase. I called United and the agent told me that the schedule change had wiped out the fare from the reservation. She then put the fare back and completed the purchase over the phone. Today I realized that the PQM bonus for the MileagePlus Select card only applies to united.com purchases, and I guess I'm out of luck on getting the PQM? If I don't get the PQM, I'll be 130 PQMs short of silver, so that would be a bummer. Since the web support number doesn't work anymore, calling them (and thereby "tricking" it to be a united.com purchase even if I complete the purchase over the phone) was not an option.

So now I may need to figure out how to generate some more PQMs.
Do ALL transactions on united.com earn PQMs? If I do a reservation change or if I purchase extra RDMs online, would that count? I can buy 5k RDMs for $135, so that would get me just over the limit. Alternatively, would buying an upgrade to E+ count? Heck, I can fly a same-day roundtrip to ORD for $135 and get the PQMs by actually flying instead of relying on Chase posting the PQMs...

As a side note, I see some small PQM amounts (10 miles per transaction) posting for April and May this year, and the only explanation for those would be onboard food purchases (charges too high to be FareLock fees, and I don't recall any FareLocks at that time). So if onboard purchases give me PQMs, maybe, just maybe, I'd get PQMs for the phone purchase? I know, not supposed to happen, but...

Some posters have stated that their credit card statements show "united.com" when purchasing online at united.com, vs. the CC statement showing "united" if completing the purchase over the phone. My CC statements just say "united" no matter if I made a transaction on united.com or if I made the purchase over the phone or in person / onboard.

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Aug 4, 2016 at 11:31 am
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
....Since the web support number doesn't work anymore, calling them (and thereby "tricking" it to be a united.com purchase even if I complete the purchase over the phone) was not an option. ...
You can still request an agent to transfer you to Web Support.

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
.... So now I may need to figure out how to generate some more PQMs.
Do ALL transactions on united.com earn PQMs? ...
For chase credit card PQM bonuses; fare changes do (such as upfares), fare change fees don't and neither does purchases of miles / PQMS. And IME neither do flight food purchases.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2016 at 3:54 pm Reason: ood purchase

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.