Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase MileagePlus Select Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:11 pm

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread.

I am still using this card and am currently looking for a detailed explanation of benefits when it comes to rental cars. I only have the old booklet "United Visa Signature Guide to Benefits" that came with the original Signature card many, many years ago. I don't know if these benefits are still the same. I have been looking for this information online but my searches have come up empty so far. Chase has an option to get the cardmember agreement mailed home, but I have a feeling that's not really what I am looking for.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:35 pm

I have the card, and I believe that the coverage is secondary to my own auto insurance. On the other hand, the new Explorer card offers primary coverage.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:32 pm

Current benefits are shown here. Links on the right provide more information.

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by altbg

I am still using this card and am currently looking for a detailed explanation of benefits when it comes to rental cars. I only have the old booklet "United Visa Signature Guide to Benefits" that came with the original Signature card many, many years ago. I don't know if these benefits are still the same. I have been looking for this information online but my searches have come up empty so far. Chase has an option to get the cardmember agreement mailed home, but I have a feeling that's not really what I am looking for.
No need to apologize! This is an old card that is still useful to a few of us. The 5,000 matching PQMs often get me over the hump, and the 3:1 points on UA website purchases is way better than the currently offered Explorer or Club cards.

AFAIK, rental car insurance is still secondary to your own auto insurance, and there is a 3% FTF for international purchases with the Select. But a CSP card takes care of both of those issues, and can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points 1:1 to UA MP, if that's what you're after. I use the Select card only for united.com and grocery purchases, and rely on other cards for primary insurance coverage. Note that the website referenced in the post above does not mention anything about rental insurance or any of the purchase protections. I would SM Chase to confirm that these still apply, and maybe request a current statement of benefits before I rely on this card for any protections. I know it's a VISA Signature card, but still...
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by othermike27
No need to apologize! This is an old card that is still useful to a few of us. The 5,000 matching PQMs often get me over the hump, and the 3:1 points on UA website purchases is way better than the currently offered Explorer or Club cards.

AFAIK, rental car insurance is still secondary to your own auto insurance, and there is a 3% FTF for international purchases with the Select. But a CSP card takes care of both of those issues, and can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points 1:1 to UA MP, if that's what you're after. I use the Select card only for united.com and grocery purchases, and rely on other cards for primary insurance coverage. Note that the website referenced in the post above does not mention anything about rental insurance or any of the purchase protections. I would SM Chase to confirm that these still apply, and maybe request a current statement of benefits before I rely on this card for any protections. I know it's a VISA Signature card, but still...
Exactly, it's my primary card for United and groceries/gas... so definitely very handy to keep around. The one thing I am after is "loss-of-use" coverage as my regular car insurance won't cover that. The old Signature Card had this benefit so as long as it didn't change since then I should be good. I was just wondering who will have the most accurate information, Chase or United. I will contact Chase to find out for sure.

Thanks! ^
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:35 am

I was just wondering who will have the most accurate information, Chase or United. I will contact Chase to find out for sure. ^
Good idea. You might also look up VISA Signature to see what they say. I know I have seen other threads reporting issues recovering rental car loss-of-use claims, but don't recall details.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I don't think your looking for the cardmember agreement - you want the benefits guide.

Check your PM for some more info.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
3x united purchases
2x grocery, gas, home improvement stores and restaurants.
1x everything else
-------///--
5000 PQM for united.com purchases.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Ignore I assumed this was for the old platinum visa...

Last edited by escapefromphl; Jan 19, 2016 at 9:38 am Reason: Wrong card
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Phone purchases don't get PQM - only for anything online at United.com. Not sure if this still works, but in the past, calling web support instead of regular reservations to make the purchase would get the PQMs, just like you used the website. Often though, you'd have to say that you tried the website but couldn't get what you wanted. After the fact, there isn't a way around this, though.

I actually just did an upgrade with miles and co-pay for the wife and I, and unfortunately, it kept erring out online for both of us (separate reservations). Silly me didn't think to call web support to complete it instead of the regular reservations number.
Do you or anyone else knows if united app is considered united.com?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes, should count for PQM on the select card. It's been a few
Months since I've done a reservation through the app, but I'm pretty sure I made at least one last yer and got the card PQM.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:39 pm

Chase MileagePlusSelect card yearly PQM bonus...

If I remember correctly, in years past, Chase gave me 5000 PQM. And this year, they posted to my account 4750 PQM.
Why the 250 miles difference ?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Keller281
If I remember correctly, in years past, Chase gave me 5000 PQM. And this year, they posted to my account 4750 PQM.
Why the 250 miles difference ?
You get up to 5,000 PQM per year, matching 1-for-1 how many $ you spend on UA purchases (direct with UA, that is). My experience is that the PQMs are awarded each statement month as you earn them, not all at once at year end. Note that the Select card also gives you 5,000 award miles (not PQMs) after each year you hold the card.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
First year my 5k PQMs aren't showing (nor UA.com purchase PQMs)

I've always had the 5k PQMs for keeping the Chase Select card post by now... but nothing. Nor am I seeing the PQMs post for the flights I've purchased on UA.com. Did things recently change?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I've always had the 5k PQMs for keeping the Chase Select card post by now... but nothing. ..
Should once your billing statement with annual spending of $35K exceeded is posted. I haven't gotten there myself yet on that card this year.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
... Nor am I seeing the PQMs post for the flights I've purchased on UA.com. Did things recently change?
My final EQMs (hit the cap) for the year posted 5 weeks back -- posted about 2 weeks after the statement, posted dated back to the end of the month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.