Search
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The future of the LAX hub?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Why? I know SFO has too many weather delays, but it's a shorter flight to SIN and it isn't as though LAX is immune to ATC delays.
IMO, compared to SFO, LAX is practically immune to delays for just about any reason, other then the UA-self afflicted ones caused by lack of gates.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Why? I know SFO has too many weather delays, but it's a shorter flight to SIN and it isn't as though LAX is immune to ATC delays. And UA has the corporate contracts (at least until SQ copies the route)
Shorter flight to LA on single-aisle, slightly longer flight to SIN on wide-body, easier connection (smaller UA terminal complex), less weather problems. If I was still in Houston and had to go to Singapore?...LAX hands down. Wouldn't even debate it. Not sure what you mean regarding corporate contracts. Most of the CO corporate deals stayed w/ United post merger. UA has good number of flights between LAX and IAH. Even 2 red-eyes eastbound frequently, which is 1 more than SFO.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Agree. SIN has surpassed pretty much everybody except NRT as the major business hub in the region. So very lucrative for corporate accounts flying paid C as well as fact & easy connections with more *A options than HKG (UA clearly doesn't want to use its own flights anymore try to compete with all the LCCs in the region).
I think Hong Kong still has a slightly higher GDP than Singapore, and it will for the foreseeable future be a financial center for China. But overall your statement is on point, and United will have the most fights/seats to the most important Asian business hubs like Tokyo, Shanghai and Singapore of any US carrier. Interestingly enough, United has twice started LAX-HKG with no success but I believe that was with 744 aircraft and CX/AA own the route - maybe one of UA's 787 versions will prove to be the lucky third charm?!

Adam
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I know SFO has too many weather delays, but it's a shorter flight to SIN and it isn't as though LAX is immune to ATC delays. And UA has the corporate contracts (at least until SQ copies the route)
If I were originating at IAH, it wouldn't even be a close call picking LAX over SFO. LAX is just a much more reliable airport for connecting. You may wait 15 minutes for a gate, but you're not at constant risk of a miss due to low ceilings cutting the acceptance rate as at SFO.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:43 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by adambrau
I think Hong Kong still has a slightly higher GDP than Singapore, and it will for the foreseeable future be a financial center for China. But overall your statement is on point, and United will have the most fights/seats to the most important Asian business hubs like Tokyo, Shanghai and Singapore of any US carrier. Interestingly enough, United has twice started LAX-HKG with no success but I believe that was with 744 aircraft and CX/AA own the route - maybe one of UA's 787 versions will prove to be the lucky third charm?!

Adam
If the 788 had more legs, it could. I suppose another restricted 789 would do it.

Last edited by TurboFan779; Jun 6, 2017 at 6:47 am Reason: Was going off topic
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by adambrau
Interestingly enough, United has twice started LAX-HKG with no success but I believe that was with 744 aircraft and CX/AA own the route - maybe one of UA's 787 versions will prove to be the lucky third charm?!
not having polaris on the 789 for the forseeable future puts UA at a significant disadvantage compared to CX and AA, who both have F/J and a premium Y on the route. not a good starting position for UA for a route with loads of premium demand.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
LAX-CDG- when did UA drop?

Reading about DL starting LAX-CDG and LAX-AMS. When did UA drop LAX-CDG? I was stunned to see that all 6 flights (on some days) are non-American carriers.

I remember being told by a friend around the 2000 bubble top that UA was telling investors it had 30% market share at LAX and once you hit that point, you could get to 40% easily with higher yields.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by redcross
Reading about DL starting LAX-CDG and LAX-AMS...
Both are big gaps from LA area to European ST hubs. UA has partner flights to *A hubs at FRA and VIE.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TurboFan779
If the 788 had more legs, it could. I suppose another restricted 789 would do it.
Pretty sure the 788 could do LAX-HKG with its eyes closed
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
When did UA drop LAX-CDG?
A week before 9/11.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Agree, as long as the pilots' eyes are open
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:34 pm

With the SIN-HKG route going away, it is not going to make sense for 3 777s to sleep overnight in HKG, so I can see the possibility of re-starting LAX-HKG (in spite of the competition) with a 787 provided that (1) UA changes the schedules such that 2 flights from the US leave during the day and the other 2 leave at night, and (2) changing one of the 3 777s to a 787.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by UpInTheAir
changing one of the 3 777s to a 787.
No 787s are based out of ORD and EWR, and SFO was the first route to get the 77W. Methinks this is unlikely.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by TurboFan779
Are you kidding?

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Both are big gaps from LA area to European ST hubs. UA has partner flights to *A hubs at FRA and VIE.
Uh, DL has partner flights to CDG and AMS from LAX.

Originally Posted by JAaronT
A 789 certainly could.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Reading about DL starting LAX-CDG and LAX-AMS. When did UA drop LAX-CDG? I was stunned to see that all 6 flights (on some days) are non-American carriers.
UA's not going to compete from LAX into the two European ST hubs. They're content to share JV revenue with LH, LX, and OS (and take the onwards connecting domestic traffic from their US arrivals).

Though I think UA has a chance to take some business back from DL at LAX right now. Just arrived on DL in its "new" space in T3. What a disaster. LAX at its worst.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.