Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The future of the LAX hub?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fgirard
He also said that SFO is a bigger market than LAX.
For UA that's true. Obviously not the case on an overall market basis though. But as others have noted, LAX is a very difficult market to dominate, as UA does at SFO.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I did have an interesting conversation with one of the FAs on SFO-HKG who told me that when they had LAX-HKG, they had issues filling up the premium cabins. He also said that SFO is a bigger market than LAX.

I figured it was not worth my time to continue this discussion with him.
I guess it is wise that your did not continue the discussion.

UA's data does not lie. In fact, UA has given the LAX-HKG route more chances to let it suceed than other routes in the past.

I have been flying US-HK routes on United since 1992, and was really negative about UA pulling the services three times (and restarted twice) over the last 25-year period, but at th eend of the day, the premium cabin load was low.

I finally woke up and face the fact and stop lobbying for the resumption of LAX-HKG. During the last time UA had restarted the route, I flew in on a weekend during busy summer month, and I could practically pick any business seat on the upper deck. Sad to see the low load.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; May 26, 2017 at 9:20 am
Old May 26, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Aspen
How are the other airlines doing on LAX-SYD? I have read AA is already preparing to downguage to a 787 in Nov 2017 from a 777-300 in after only initiating the route in Dec 2015. Delta have the A350 coming on line shortly, will they too downguage ?
Delta has said they'll be keeping the 77L on LAX-SYD, not switching to the A350. The difference in seat count is pretty small, regardless.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I did have an interesting conversation with one of the FAs on SFO-HKG who told me that when they had LAX-HKG, they had issues filling up the premium cabins. He also said that SFO is a bigger market than LAX.

I figured it was not worth my time to continue this discussion with him.
When was the last time UA flew LAX-HKG? 10 years ago? More? And with only a 747 to do it?
Old May 26, 2017, 8:53 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Add to the fact that UA's LAX mess which caused some bags from my flight to go to carousel 1, and the rest to go to carousel 3 (which became known 20 minutes after waiting around at carousel 1), which ultimately was the reason for my bag to be mistakenly taken by someone else or stolen (still didnt get it back, UA has no updates), we landed 15/20 minutes behind schedule yesterday afternoon. Even with that, we had to wait over 35 minutes for our gate to open up. I understand arriving early and having to wait for your gate, but landing 15 minutes late and still waiting that long? This is my third time flying to LAX this year, all on UA, first time being such a mess.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta has said they'll be keeping the 77L on LAX-SYD, not switching to the A350. The difference in seat count is pretty small, regardless.
DL will reconfigure their 777s with 28 J seats, so keeping the 77L on that route will result in very few premium seats.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the late 90s, I heard UA started adding flights at LAX because SFO was not reliable as a hub. I think SFO is better now but it seems they might be hitting some capacity problems there (i.e. not enough gates at the international terminal during peak hours)?
Old May 28, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
United seems to do pretty good with TLV and LAX-TLV would definitely be 789 territory.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
AMEN ! As a traveler who is in and out of LAX 2-3 times a week it just gets worse daily.

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Whatever they do with LAX size-wise, UA has to improve arrival reliability at this station.

(See, e.g., http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-versa-2.html )

Long before LAX construction, United has had far too many cases of penalty box holding for predictably early arrivals. In many cases, what were guaranteed early arrivals, became late arrivals when a/c finally blocked in. Very frustrating.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:32 am

Hopefully the announcement is made this week. Company is being pretty tight lipped on the new route. Even I don't know if its TATL, TPAC or to some Mexican resort town.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Hopefully the announcement is made this week. Company is being pretty tight lipped on the new route. Even I don't know if its TATL, TPAC or to some Mexican resort town.
I hope it's Tijuana!
Old May 28, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Wouldn't make a lot of sense to have a lot of secrecy over a route to Mexico.

I mentioned this earlier - but do folks think it would be too early to announce something like LAX-DUB? Details of Brexit aside, it's no secret that Dublin has already gotten some attention from firms looking to relocate operations from London, and it might give UA a nice first-mover advantage. I have no idea if they would have any more information from their corporate accounts than the public is privy to, but it certainly would be a bold/interesting play.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: None anymore
New as in United doesn't fly there, or new route for LAX?
Old May 28, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by warrenw
New as in United doesn't fly there, or new route for LAX?
new route for LAX. it could be a new UA city. tuesday is my guess for the reveal date.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Because LAX becomes a 787 hub, I would not be surprised if it would be a TPAC route. As mentioned earlier, TPE, SGN, BKK, CAN, XMN (Xiamen), and DPS (Bali, Indonesia) could be chosen. We will find it out soon.
Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.