FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The future of the LAX hub?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by triplefives
Considering CX/AA's deathgrip on the HKG-LAX, I highly doubt HKG would be an option. SIN would probably be more likely if the aircraft can stretch that far.
Can I toot my own whistle for an accurate new route prediction? 😁
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
You certainly can! Well done
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Absolutely! Especially bullseyed on LAX-HKG. People seem to forget UA failed on that route repeatedly over the years and how CX/AA has monopolized that route over the years.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:43 pm

Mention of United's LAX plans in a Flightglobal article dated yesterday:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...at-lax-437860/

"United Airlines is now the only one of the big three that has not announced multi-billion investment plans for LAX. The Chicago-based carrier operates from 20 gates in terminals 7 and 8 but is in talks with LAWA regarding preferential access to a possible future terminal 9."

"'Today, we don’t have the gates and the facilities – yet – to really grow and compete with Delta, American and Southwest,' said Scott Kirby, president of United, on LAX in March. 'The most important part of that is actually ensuring that terminal 9 becomes a facility that is dedicated to Star Alliance and United.'"
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I just don't see how a Terminal 9 (the only evidence of which I have seen posted here on FT is at 15+ year-old study) happens anytime soon. Sounds like a 'Waiting for Godot' plan, which isn't good...
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I just don't see how a Terminal 9 (the only evidence of which I have seen posted here on FT is at 15+ year-old study) happens anytime soon. Sounds like a 'Waiting for Godot' plan, which isn't good...
This unfortunately UACO's last mover's response to all other major airlines at LAX. Thanks Jeff.

David
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
This unfortunately UACO's last mover's response to all other major airlines at LAX. Thanks Jeff.

David
What about taking the 4(not sure about the number) of gates that UA leases to AA? These are still leased, right? Could UA take those back to 'expand'?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by lenscap

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...at-lax-437860/

"United Airlines is now the only one of the big three that has not announced multi-billion investment plans for LAX. The Chicago-based carrier operates from 20 gates in terminals 7 and 8 but is in talks with LAWA regarding preferential access to a possible future terminal 9."

"'Today, we don’t have the gates and the facilities – yet – to really grow and compete with Delta, American and Southwest,' said Scott Kirby, president of United, on LAX in March. 'The most important part of that is actually ensuring that terminal 9 becomes a facility that is dedicated to Star Alliance and United.'"
What about the T7/T8 makeover? Didn't that cost at least a billion dollars?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
What about taking the 4(not sure about the number) of gates that UA leases to AA? These are still leased, right? Could UA take those back to 'expand'?
Those were in Terminal 6 and while I have not read the documents, I have to assume that UA's sublease of those gates to AA (now assigned to another airline) was for the remaining portion of UA's lease term. UA couldn't reclaim them at UA's option. They're gone.

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
What about the T7/T8 makeover? Didn't that cost at least a billion dollars?
About $575 million, which at LAX doesn't buy much.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DA201
LAX has the O&D to support the premium cabin and a decent amount of economy. Their short haul network is good enough for the rest.
Singapore is a major oil/gas service hub. Most of the traffic between IAH and SIN will switch to LAX from SFO. In a second.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 5, 2017 at 10:55 am
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Those were in Terminal 6 and while I have not read the documents, I have to assume that UA's sublease of those gates to AA (now assigned to another airline) was for the remaining portion of UA's lease term. UA couldn't reclaim them at UA's option. They're gone.

In order to facilitate the Delta move to T2/T3, LAWA bought out United's lease for those 4 gates. They're definitely gone...

... Given what a Terminal 9 with a bridge over Sepulveda would cost, one would have to wonder what United is thinking by investing that kind of money at LAX and not IAD.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
I'd lean O&D, and corp accounts.
Agree. SIN has surpassed pretty much everybody except NRT as the major business hub in the region. So very lucrative for corporate accounts flying paid C as well as fact & easy connections with more *A options than HKG (UA clearly doesn't want to use its own flights anymore try to compete with all the LCCs in the region).

SFO-LAX has become quite delay prone (was it ever not??) so it makes sense for UA to duplicate flights (as it always did with SYD) if the traffic will bear it and then feed into both from the rest of the country. LAX is also a better feeder from Latin America.

Originally Posted by lenscap

More nonsense - more like UA doesn't like the intense competition at LAX which is not a hub-fortress like SFO/IAH/EWR and thus most resources go elsewhere.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Singapore is a major oil/gas service hub. Most of the traffic between IAH and SIN will switch to LAX from SFO. In a second.
Why? I know SFO has too many weather delays, but it's a shorter flight to SIN and it isn't as though LAX is immune to ATC delays. And UA has the corporate contracts (at least until SQ copies the route)
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FWAAA
And whatever investment Delta had made in T5 and T6, they gave to LAWA so they could move to T2/T3 and grow/evolve.

Yes, UACO is currently making its investment in T7/T8 (which has been in development for years - including the JeffCO period) but no better than protecting what it downsized to under his "leadership".

David
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:34 pm
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Boraxo

More nonsense - more like UA doesn't like the intense competition at LAX which is not a hub-fortress like SFO/IAH/EWR and thus most resources go elsewhere.
I disagree. I think he is right on point. I fly into LAX every week, and 75% of the time, I end up waiting 30 minutes for a gate to open. There is simply no room to grow. It is not an excuse, trust me.

United has 1.5 terminals, Delta and American have 2 full ones I believe.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You seem to know alot about the oil trade/business. Why is the SQ flight out of IAH to SIN, albeit with
a stopover, currently at MAN, not an option? Just curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.