FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The future of the LAX hub?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by supergabe
LAX needs more nonstop flights to Europe, an LAX/FRA would be great. LAX/LHR as the only option doesn't cut it.
I'm LAX based and I think it would be cool, however almost every European *A airline that has long haul equipment flies to LAX and only LH does it more than 1x daily. UA can't even get more than 1x LHR although BA is doing 3x daily.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:27 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ryman554
And PQD.

And GS qualifying miles...

And LH Y seats (but PE and LH C class)

For those big spenders that care, and I don't know how many there are, it is not metal neutral.
You earn PQD and PQM on this route if you book through United.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1P
You earn PQD and PQM on this route if you book through United.
What would be nice is to take the NZ LAX-LHR and be able to get PQD on a 016 ticket.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
What would be nice is to take the NZ LAX-LHR and be able to get PQD on a 016 ticket.
AA and DL both give PQD on partner flights, based on a fraction of the PQM. UA really ought to follow suit. I was hoping they'd do so for 2018, but it feels like it may be too late in the year for an announcement like that. It's ridiculous to have to choose between a discount fare and PQDs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 9, 2017 at 8:33 pm Reason: Modifing quoted content is not allowed
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
AA and DL both give PQD on partner flights, based on a fraction of the PQM.
Yep. And DL's formula is surprisingly accurate (in a rough kind of way).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 9, 2017 at 8:34 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep. And DL's formula is surprisingly accurate (in a rough kind of way).
There's a pretty decent sweet spot with PE fares. Booked on a VS PE fare in Jan for IAD-JNB for $1352 that will earn 5578 MQD's on DL.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LBJ
There's a pretty decent sweet spot with PE fares. Booked on a VS PE fare in Jan for IAD-JNB for $1352 that will earn 5578 MQD's on DL.
Wow. With loopholes like that, who needs a credit card waiver?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
+1

International flights - I can choose a number of international flights out of LAX and the UA connection to SAN is so hit and miss with delayed flights and the flight schedule such that it is often less expensive to get a car home (and miss the last part of the return flight). I choose based on cost and benefit out of LAX.

Domestic flights - nothing beats South West for quick trips to Vegas (from SAN) although I will take UA every so often but only if the price is right. UA taught me well.

Starting next year I am so looking forward to Lufthansa flying non-stop SAN-FRA, and then I can connect elsewhere to Europe. Adding to the SAN non-stop international flight network.

UA should think about some flights to Hawaii out of SAN...I am starting to consider Hawaiian Airlines going forward
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
I'm LAX based and I think it would be cool, however almost every European *A airline that has long haul equipment flies to LAX and only LH does it more than 1x daily. UA can't even get more than 1x LHR although BA is doing 3x daily.
I certainly understand UA thinks west coast folks are willing to connect to SFO or perhaps DEN/IAH but in SAN I am getting more options every day for international flights. Just read that AS is starting flights from SAN-MEX.

The SAN flights may only be once a day on BA/AC/AS/JL/LH/WK but it does provide me options for non-stop flights.

I will also go to LAX for other non-stop flights.

LAX may not be a hub for UA, but LAX and SAN provide me great options for connecting internationally (just not with UA).
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I certainly understand UA thinks west coast folks are willing to connect to SFO or perhaps DEN/IAH but in SAN I am getting more options every day for international flights. Just read that AS is starting flights from SAN-MEX.

The SAN flights may only be once a day on BA/AC/AS/JL/LH/WK but it does provide me options for non-stop flights.

I will also go to LAX for other non-stop flights.

LAX may not be a hub for UA, but LAX and SAN provide me great options for connecting internationally (just not with UA).
I don't particularly mind connecting through SFO because they have an Amex lounge there ^. Connections through ORD are also palatable given the new Polaris lounge.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by supergabe
I don't particularly mind connecting through SFO because they have an Amex lounge there ^. Connections through ORD are also palatable given the new Polaris lounge.
I agree about the SFO Amex lounge and am okay to do this for domestic flights. In SAN I have a lounge (through AMEX) as well for my domestic flights.

I avoid connecting east coast whenever possible - my international flights are invariably delayed or cancelled. So am willing to connect via IAH/SFO/DEN if I have to but no further. There is a huge difference in service between domestic and international.

So the more non-stop international flights from SAN (or LAX) the better in my view.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
Tough to compete there with 2x E75 while DL has multiple mainlines, not to mention NK and SY in the market.
Tough to keep a broad network when you drop from the largest carrier ex-LAX (2010) to #3 . These are the follow-on impacts of cutting capacity that we have long talked about. For the record, here are the market shares ex-LAX, when Jeff took over, in the first full year of his savvy cut service and produce quality plan, and now this year:
2017: AA: 18.8%; DL 16.7%; UA 14%; SWA 11.6%; AS+VX 8.5% [Skywest flights are now under the contracting carrier in LAX’s numbers]
2013: AA/Eagle: 17%, US 3% (20% total) UA 16.3%, DAL 13.5%, SWA 11%, AS 5% , SkyWest 3.5%.
2010: AA/American Eagle 15.9%, US 3.2%, UA 13.1%, CO 4.5% (total 17.6%) DAL 11.1%, AS 4.5%, SWA 11.6%, SkyWest 4.3%.

p.s. figures for 2013 and 2010 are from my post way back in 2014, responding in part to you, and predicting what we are seeing now as the end result: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22278585-post44.html
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
It was a bummer to see UA leave, and I'm a little surprised they didn't stick it out after AA left. But LAX-MSP became a bloodbath when AA entered and DL ramped-up capacity to absurd levels (it was at least 8x peak dailies this summer, with mostly 752s and 753s), so it's not surprising to see both leave. It was nice to have to have a cheap route ex-MSP, but their customers used to those cheap flights not lasting. Fortress hubs suck.

Originally Posted by spin88
Tough to keep a broad network when you drop from the largest carrier ex-LAX (2010) to #3 . These are the follow-on impacts of cutting capacity that we have long talked about. For the record, here are the market shares ex-LAX, when Jeff took over, in the first full year of his savvy cut service and produce quality plan, and now this year:
2017: AA: 18.8%; DL 16.7%; UA 14%; SWA 11.6%; AS+VX 8.5% [Skywest flights are now under the contracting carrier in LAX’s numbers]
2013: AA/Eagle: 17%, US 3% (20% total) UA 16.3%, DAL 13.5%, SWA 11%, AS 5% , SkyWest 3.5%.
2010: AA/American Eagle 15.9%, US 3.2%, UA 13.1%, CO 4.5% (total 17.6%) DAL 11.1%, AS 4.5%, SWA 11.6%, SkyWest 4.3%.

p.s. figures for 2013 and 2010 are from my post way back in 2014, responding in part to you, and predicting what we are seeing now as the end result: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22278585-post44.html
So that's why the #2 LAX carrier doesn't fly to ORD, right? You're right, hard to keep a broad network in LAX when you don't fly to one of the top O&D markets.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:00 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.

based on your numbers, 2010, UA gets UA+CO to get to 17.6 and #1. By that method, AA+US=19.1, which would be #1?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by fastair
based on your numbers, 2010, UA gets UA+CO to get to 17.6 and #1 . By that method, AA+US=19.1, which would be #1 ?
Yes, and No. AA+US did not happen until 2013. UA was the biggest carrier (once CO was added) from the date of the merger until 2013, and the 17.6% figure is low since it does not include Skywest, which opperated a lot of feeder flights for UA ex-LAX.

The trends at LAX are very clear: UA substantially pulled down capacity ex-LAX, and as key routes went away, traffic fell further. United has been in a downward spiral at LAX since Jeff took over, Kirby has said he LAX is one of the places he wants to grow, but ongoing cuts (like this LAX-MSP) show to me that UA is well past the tipping point.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Yes, and No. AA+US did not happen until 2013. UA was the biggest carrier (once CO was added) from the date of the merger until 2013, and the 17.6% figure is low since it does not include Skywest, which opperated a lot of feeder flights for UA ex-LAX.

The trends at LAX are very clear: UA substantially pulled down capacity ex-LAX, and as key routes went away, traffic fell further. United has been in a downward spiral at LAX since Jeff took over, Kirby has said he LAX is one of the places he wants to grow, but ongoing cuts (like this LAX-MSP) show to me that UA is well past the tipping point.
You can't have it both ways. In 2010 UA/CO were not merged, and it wasn't even announced until May. So that capacity is not from a merged level. It would be proper to then compare against pre-merger AA/US. As it shows, UA/CO wasn't as large as AA/US. So UA/CO never really had a chance at #1 in the long-run unless they significantly grew and/or AA/US shrank before the latter hooked up. To call them #1 in that time period is more based on a technicality than actual growth or decline of a market.

If you look at raw traffic and not percentages, you will see that UA has not "been in a downward spiral" at LAX, has not "substantially pulled down capacity", nor implemented "ongoing cuts". Those are false statements. Even if you give all SkyWest flying to the UA banner in 2010, which is not accurate, UA is off only 10% at LAX. The likely truth is that UA is somewhere in the flat to down 6 or 7% range for traffic LAX since 2010. If UA worked for a customer back then, it likely works for them today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.