Search
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The future of the LAX hub?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
this is what i predicted last time there was a new LAX route rumor this past spring (LAX-SIN was the result - nobody predicted that!):

my money would be on HKG. before AA added the route in the past year, CX was the only airline that flew it.

all LAX transoceanic flying is done with the 789; this would put UA at a competitive disadvantage relative to CX/AA's premium cabins on a mature route that has plenty of HVFs. i don't see UA flying a 77W in a W-pattern just to get polaris seats on the route. UA's fleets (and even sub-fleets) are becoming increasingly 'locked' to one or two hubs.

if not HKG, then SGN would be my second choice. it fits the 'long, thin' profile of the 787, there's no nonstop competition on the route, and i believe LA has the largest vietnamese expat population in the US. 2015 PDEW for LAX-SGN was 279, compared to 174 for SFO-SGN (link to .pdf of OAG report). we all know UA is a lot more willing to start TPAC service ex-SFO compared to LAX, so new LAX additions probably require significantly better figures like that. vietnam's economy may have developed to the point where UA feels comfortable that they can fill the front of the plane, which is essential for longhaul routes.

BKK is my distant third place pick. the only reason why i even bother to mention BKK is that 1+ years ago, a LAX GS flyer with a solid reputation on this board said that he/she was told by a GS agent that a return to BKK for UA was imminent. OTOH, that was still in the smisek era, and a lot has changed since then.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by riphamilton
this is what i predicted last time there was a new LAX route rumor this past spring (LAX-SIN was the result - nobody predicted that!):
HKG certainly fills a hole in the route network, but they should fly a 77W on that if they want to compete - otherwise, it's not even worth bothering.

I just wonder if it's going to be a new location at all - the newest Dreamliner route adds have been seasonal routes to Europe out of SFO (MUC, ZRH) and longhaul routes to existing destinations (SFO/LAX-SIN, IAH-SYD). It seems like outside of the seasonal TATL routes, UA is more focused on bulking up service to existing destinations where they already have personnel, etc. in place. If I had to guess with regards to this rumor, I would pick LAX-FRA.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Lax-SZX

Shenzhen is the hub of *A partner, Shenzhen Airlines. It will attract local traffic in the Pearl River Triangle including Guangzhou. It will avoid direct competition with CX and SQ if UA chooses LAX-HKG, instead.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Shenzhen is the hub of *A partner, Shenzhen Airlines. It will attract local traffic in the Pearl River Triangle including Guangzhou. It will avoid direct competition with CX and SQ if UA chooses LAX-HKG, instead.
Air China launched LAX-SZX nonstop last week. UA will not launch LAX-SZX.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by riphamilton
Has anyone surveyed how SoCal's Vietnamese population feel about UA yet? I bet there has been a bit of turbulence over the last 8.03 months.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
BKK? Please...
You beat me to it! BKK please indeed +1
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:54 pm

HKG or FRA seem to be the obvious choices.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
HKG or FRA seem to be the obvious choices.
i should mention that HX will begin [eventually] daily HKG-LAX service next week. they'll be the third carrier on the route (CX, AA). HX does not have an F cabin. their A350 is 38J/28Y+/214Y.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:19 am

They used to fly LAX-HKG when they had the round the world flight back in the 90s. ICN Is served 2x a day by OZ with A380s. Doesn't make sense.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
MAN summer seasonal? Or more likely, CPH... Plenty of *A connections and not flown by SAS. Seems like a smart route choice, even though Y fares will have to be low with Norwegian in the market.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by zeer0
MAN summer seasonal? Or more likely, CPH... Plenty of *A connections and not flown by SAS. Seems like a smart route choice, even though Y fares will have to be low with Norwegian in the market.
UA has been dialing back their routes to Scandinavia over the years - EWR-ARN is only seasonal now, and OSL and CPH are both gone - so I highly doubt they'd add a route there ex-LAX before adding back ex-East Coast routes.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
UA has been dialing back their routes to Scandinavia over the years - EWR-ARN is only seasonal now, and OSL and CPH are both gone - so I highly doubt they'd add a route there ex-LAX before adding back ex-East Coast routes.
But most of those have been taken over by SAS, no? I look at LAX-CPH the same way as SFO-ARN, both primed with connections to SAS. I do think it's likelier SAS will start either or both of those routes, rather than UA.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Yep. Denmark population: 5.7 million. Sweden population: 9.9 million. And no JV with SK.

Not gonna happen.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Has anyone surveyed how SoCal's Vietnamese population feel about UA yet? I bet there has been a bit of turbulence over the last 8.03 months.
I believe that most of SoCal Vietnamese ethnic population is from the south (SGN), not the north.

Great Circle Mapper distances:

LAX-HAN 7,656sm
LAX-SGN 8,169
LAX-SIN 8,770

It's argued that LAX-SIN is viable as an ultra-long-haul route because of paid premium cabin fares. Do you think United (or anybody?) is going to get that mix on LAX-SGN?

Planespotters.net shows that Vietnam Airlines has 11 787-9s -- and it is a SkyTeam partner with Delta. Even then, I don't hold my breath.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Nobody on this thread won a prize for their guesses.
SFO won, LAX lose!

Here is a preliminary announcement from JOSECONLSCREW28:
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
It's SFO-PPT 788 starts October 30 2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.