Search
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The future of the LAX hub?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Because LAX becomes a 787 hub, I would not be surprised if it would be a TPAC route. As mentioned earlier, TPE, SGN, BKK, CAN, XMN (Xiamen), and DPS (Bali, Indonesia) could be chosen. We will find it out soon.
Cheers.
TPAC is likely, but don't expect any city UA doesn't already fly to unless it's Brisbane (because of geography and the extremely large O&D gap with SFO). SFO is just such a powerhouse that it makes no sense for UA to fly to LAX and not SFO from any city across the Pacific excluding Oceania.

PPT or NAD would be a nice addition. Would explain the secrecy and would also make more sense from LAX vs SFO due to leisure traffic and geography.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Because LAX becomes a 787 hub, I would not be surprised if it would be a TPAC route. As mentioned earlier, TPE, SGN, BKK, CAN, XMN (Xiamen), and DPS (Bali, Indonesia) could be chosen. We will find it out soon.
Cheers.
TPE: already 5 daily from Eva and China airline, highly doubted if UA will enter this route

SGN/BKK: have chance as no any direct competitors

CAN: I do not think UA will start LAX-CAN before SFO- CAN

XMN: I do not think UA will start LAX-XMN before SFO-XMN

DPS: Too far away.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I mentioned this earlier - but do folks think it would be too early to announce something like LAX-DUB? Details of Brexit aside, it's no secret that Dublin has already gotten some attention from firms looking to relocate operations from London, and it might give UA a nice first-mover advantage. I have no idea if they would have any more information from their corporate accounts than the public is privy to, but it certainly would be a bold/interesting play.
Aer Lingus and Ethiopian already fly LAX-DUB. Highly doubt there's enough capacity for 3 flights.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think BNE makes sense for a winter launch. Also wonder if UA might consider LAXICN. HKG seems risky but I know at least one of UA's longtime LAX corporate customers (cough...Mouse) sends a fair bit of traffic to the Pearl River Delta over HKG, which currently must connect at SFO to stay on-metal.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by EWR764
I think BNE makes sense for a winter launch. Also wonder if UA might consider LAXICN. HKG seems risky but I know at least one of UA's longtime LAX corporate customers (cough...Mouse) sends a fair bit of traffic to the Pearl River Delta over HKG, which currently must connect at SFO to stay on-metal.
I would love for that route to open. (ICN) However KAL has two daily flights both being a380's (or at least one of them) OZ has two daily flights with at least one being the a380 and SG has one daily with a 77W. It's a lot of capacity already.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by zeer0
Aer Lingus and Ethiopian already fly LAX-DUB. Highly doubt there's enough capacity for 3 flights.
Maybe not enough right now, but in 1.5 years' time? I could see it definitely picking up. I did not know Ethiopian had a 5th Freedom flight there (though it was only Aer Lingus).
Old May 29, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by PenaltyBox
United seems to do pretty good with TLV and LAX-TLV would definitely be 789 territory.
I'd be shocked if UA added LAX-TLV before ORD-TLV.

-LAX has nonstop competition to TLV vs none at ORD.
-ORD has far more connectivity in the right direction to TLV.
-LAX would take away some of the SFO-TLV traffic flow.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a huge deal when they pulled HKG years back and it seems to be a logical choice.

Can the planes make to BKK/SGN nonstop? If yes, I guess the question would be the yield.

Could it be an interior China destination like Wu Han? Or, maybe add XIA/HGH/CTU so between SFO and LAX, there will be daily service for one of the routes?
Old May 29, 2017, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
Can the planes make to BKK/SGN nonstop? If yes, I guess the question would be the yield.
J fares are pretty low to both.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:30 pm

Still no update for the new international route?
Old May 31, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Aus106080
Still no update for the new international route?
No it was put on the back burner because of the announcement of the updated transcon service.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
No it was put on the back burner because of the announcement of the updated transcon service.
Hopefully a sign that they think it is important enough to warrant its own announcement.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
That's kind of odd. I guess the network planning and the inflight service parts of the company don't talk and can't make an announcement the same week?
Old May 31, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by username
That's kind of odd. I guess the network planning and the inflight service parts of the company don't talk and can't make an announcement the same week?
I wonder if the updated ps service is the announcement that was anticipated? Bostononians have foreign accents to me.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I wonder if the updated ps service is the announcement that was anticipated? Bostononians have foreign accents to me.

That said, it is only introduction of updated service on LAX<>EWR, not a new route...so don't think it is the same!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.