Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The future of the LAX hub?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I have noticed this too. The C cabin seems to fill up with non-revs.
Originally Posted by findark
Judging by R space these days premium loads to Australia have not been so great.
How are the other airlines doing on LAX-SYD? I have read AA is already preparing to downguage to a 787 in Nov 2017 from a 777-300 in after only initiating the route in Dec 2015. Delta have the A350 coming on line shortly, will they too downguage ?
Old May 24, 2017, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Look for an international route announcement within the coming days.
Can UA fit the new 777-300 into its small spaces in LA, if not that will soon start to limit expansion.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by riphamilton
...the new LAX route is TPAC, my guesses are HKG, SGN and BKK - in that order.
I'd pick SGN out of LAX because of the concentration of Viet-Americans from Gulf Coast to Las Vegas to Los Angeles - sort of halo on/near I-10. I think it'll get more (paid) front-cabin demand than BKK.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:38 pm
Suspended

if they were to add BKK or SGN, i have to think that would be from SFO so UA had more connections..
Old May 25, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: None anymore
Personally I'm hoping for ICN... But with 5 ICN departures a day (2 KAL, 2 OZ, and 1 SG) that might be unlikely.

If it's for an already serviced route (i.e. not new) I'm guessing it will be to Asia. IAH is their hub to South America and doesn't make sense for it to go there.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:53 am

They will probably pick another odd Chinese destination. Maybe TAO? How are the flights to CTU, HGH and XIY doing anyway?
Old May 25, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
They will probably pick another odd Chinese destination. Maybe TAO? How are the flights to CTU, HGH and XIY doing anyway?
I doubt it. I highly doubt the demand is there for adding another UA flight outside of those operating from SFO.

HKG and FRA are the most logical, if not the most exciting, choices. I would not be surprised if LAX-FRA or possibly LAX-DUB get considered (as both of those cities are seen as the main contenders for picking up Brexit business for the EU).
Old May 25, 2017, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Based on the reported chaos over at T2 and T3 (Delta's Makeshift LAX T3 Leaves a Lot to be Desired), now might be good time for UA to pick off some DL pax. Especially with the new T7 UC and the Polaris lounge presumably coming on line within the next six months.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
After today's fiasco trying to fly LAX-SFO-HKG, I think that if UA were to downsize a hub, it should be SFO. At least LAX has better weather, and more options available when things go south.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fgirard
After today's fiasco trying to fly LAX-SFO-HKG, I think that if UA were to downsize a hub, it should be SFO. At least LAX has better weather, and more options available when things go south.
the hub that is a disaster is EWR.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by flybit
That's #2 on my list because at least I can drive to destinations that I fly to from EWR (PVD, PWM, MHT, ORF).
Old May 26, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by flybit
It also shares airspace with multiple airports, hence why all 3 NYC airports become headaches whenever anything goes south weather-wise...
Old May 26, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I doubt it. I highly doubt the demand is there for adding another UA flight outside of those operating from SFO.

HKG and FRA are the most logical, if not the most exciting, choices. I would not be surprised if LAX-FRA or possibly LAX-DUB get considered (as both of those cities are seen as the main contenders for picking up Brexit business for the EU).
Considering CX/AA's deathgrip on the HKG-LAX, I highly doubt HKG would be an option. SIN would probably be more likely if the aircraft can stretch that far.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
No. In fact, Kirby has admitted that the downsizing that already happened was stupid.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
No. In fact, Kirby has admitted that the downsizing that already happened was stupid.
I did have an interesting conversation with one of the FAs on SFO-HKG who told me that when they had LAX-HKG, they had issues filling up the premium cabins. He also said that SFO is a bigger market than LAX.

I figured it was not worth my time to continue this discussion with him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.