Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Compared to UA, the AS rules don't seem to prohibit the attempt to sell/buy/barter miles or instruments
So I guess you didn't read the first section of the quote that's in bold? Seems 100% clear to me.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PushingTin
How do you get 25 of these, in a year?
He said 25 "Upgrades"

Making 1K is 10 upgrades (6 GPu and 4 RPU)
Every 50K PQM after that is 6 more upgrades

So, at 250,000pqm (Which is nothing for a GS) that is 28 upgrades

ecerts you get for volunteering your seat, complaining about entertainment or wifi not working etc, seat broken

He got busted selling an ecert, but LOST his 25 upgrades that were on his account, presumably that he wasn't trying to sell
Old May 27, 2017, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mduell
Just because they don't agree with you doesn't mean they're not listening.
+1 - I strongly suspect that "closed" means "closed." But, the writer has no complaint as UA reviewed the entire investigation and chose not to change its position. He is certainly free to disagree with that decision, but "won't even listen" is wrong.

This is only one situation. No idea what OP did to get his account closed. Without that, it's not even a datapoint.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
It's fair to say now is a good time for everyone to "fly right" and play by the rules vis-a-vis all things UA. The carrier invested significantly in "Big Data" audit and compliance processes in recent times, and many gray area and/or blatantly improper activities that previously flew under the radar will be more easily flagged and addressed.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm surprised at all the nonsensical emotional hysteria in this thread. United should make the appropriate business-savvy decision. The business savvy decision is one that punishes sufficiently to deter future abuse, yet keeps the customer connected to the brand and willing to spend.

This is not someone on food stamps who tried to steal a cart of grape juice from Walmart.
UA wonders why it is losing high-value customers? The guy made a mistake, give him a punishment commensurate with the crime, but make a business-savvy decision, it seems UA is cutting off their nose to spite their face, ultimately UA is the loser here.

Originally Posted by eng3
Also, UA banned him from the MP program not their flights. I guess UA may assume he will continue to be loyal to UA and keep flying with them just as much as before without earning miles, status, etc
UA would be abject idiots to think OP would continue flying UA after what they did.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think UA does recognize it, but does not consider it.

I really do think United assumes for every traveler they lose due to zero tolerance on certificate sales, they will gain one from DL or American for the same reason. Additionally, some may be stuck with United because of route efficiency from their home base or corporate travel preferences.

Making a big deal solely based on one passenger's revenue pre-boot doesn't take into account a variety of other factors that may mitigate the net loss to United.

As long as DL and AA deal harshly with rule breakers, it's a zero sum game for the airlines relative to revenue as the ejected just move between the big 3 and UA/AA/DL get to deprive the violators of revenue-reducing mileage, e-certs, upgrade certs, etc. The violators bear the bulk of the punishment (loss of their accounts), not the airlines.
Seems silly. If UA found an appropriate punishment they can keep their high-value flyers and get AA and DL's as well, this assuming it is high-value flyers that are getting the boot.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe UA hopes that the violators will move to DL or AA and then sell DL or AA stuff.
I think once the violator loses all of their miles they are unlikely to do the same thing again. I would think is most cases the violator had no idea what they were risking and once they realize they wouldn't do it again. That is why finding an appropriate punishment, for a HVF, seems to be the decision in the best interest of all involved. I.E. OP had 600k miles and 25 instruments. Why not confiscate 300k mies and 12 instruments? It is a very harsh punishment, but enough punishment to get OP to not do this again, but keep him as a profitable customer.

"Attempting" to sell a $150 e-cert hardly seems like the crime to confiscate all of OP's account and future business based on his GS status and 20-year history.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 27, 2017 at 5:34 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote; discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old May 27, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
It's fair to say now is a good time for everyone to "fly right" and play by the rules vis-a-vis all things UA. The carrier invested significantly in "Big Data" audit and compliance processes in recent times, and many gray area and/or blatantly improper activities that previously flew under the radar will be more easily flagged and addressed.
As opposed to just doing the right thing because it's right ?
Old May 27, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
Originally Posted by qxk970517
Get my account closed last year, with the reply from UA's security dept. Won't reopen account and listen to my explanation.
Want to tell us why they closed your account....And, your side of the story?
Old May 27, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
As opposed to just doing the right thing because it's right ?
That would be more persuasive if UA would do the same.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
That would be more persuasive if UA would do the same.
So never do anything unless there is something in it for you.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
That also tends to happen when a company starts to pinch every penny and look for additional revenue where ever it can find it. Like how you find more parking and speeding tickets towards the end of the month or when a town needs the money. It's not too surprising to see UA take such a harsh approach. To probably feel they have just saved themselves thousands of dollars from the value of the miles, upgrades, etc's, etc.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:02 pm
GeP

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
While I side generally with United here, the airline could put a stop to this immediately if they would make these certificates useless to anyone other than the person it was issued to or someone traveling on the same itinerary with them.

They would save a bunch of money by not having to police this.
It also means I could not have my significant other use this when joining me at the end of a business trip. Or when we have to part after a nice vacation. And I no longer would be able to use a cert for my dad when he travels alone.

Bad idea.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
So never do anything unless there is something in it for you.
Exactly, I have to scratch my head with some of these responses.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
Originally Posted by eng3
...To probably feel they have just saved themselves thousands of dollars from the value of the miles, upgrades, etc's, etc.
I think you're absolutely right......BUT, I think it's false economy on the part of UA.

For example, since UA started giving 1K & Global Services flyers a hard time for selling their upgrades, I made a decision to give away my System-wide or Regional upgrades. Before, I used to let them expire, if I couldn't use them.

Tell me how does UA make money when upgrades are sold versus given away? (As I understand The Rules, you can give upgrades to ANYONE!?)

Looking at the Bigger Picture, why does UA want to upset their BEST customers? Does UA even know the meaning of Goodwill or Good PR!?
Old May 27, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EMan
I think you're absolutely right......BUT, I think it's false economy on the part of UA.

For example, since UA started giving 1K & Global Services flyers a hard time for selling their upgrades, I made a decision to give away my System-wide or Regional upgrades. Before, I used to let them expire, if I couldn't use them.

Tell me how does UA make money when upgrades are sold versus given away? (As I understand The Rules, you can give upgrades to ANYONE!?)

Looking at the Bigger Picture, why does UA want to upset their BEST customers? Does UA even know the meaning of Goodwill or Good PR!?
Once selling becomes ok with UA it pretty much assigns a monetary value to them and when that happens the tax man comes a calling. So, in a way, UA is helping us out, and themselves. By letting us give them away there is no monetary value directly assigned to them as in a GPU is valued at X and an RPU is valued at Y.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
While I side generally with United here, the airline could put a stop to this immediately if they would make these certificates useless to anyone other than the person it was issued to or someone traveling on the same itinerary with them.

They would save a bunch of money by not having to police this.
I think they have a much better solution, which is to make the certificates nearly impossible to utilize. Once the market price falls below 10 bucks, I'm pretty sure nobody is going to bother reselling them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.