Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:41 pm

why didnt you get the $1500 for a delayed bag over 3 days ?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Moshebarak
why didnt you get the $1500 for a delayed bag over 3 days ?
My bag was delayed by ~30 hours. I landed in JAC on 2/2 and the bag was delivered on 2/3.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Thanks for the update! Shocked (and happy for you) that they covered everything. Enjoy the new gear!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: United
What Happens if Bag is Found After I Am Compensated?

I recently returned home from a trip to Havana via Houston. I NEVER EVER check bags, but decided to purchase some Cuban rum (who wouldn't?) so had no choice but to check a bag. The bag arrived at Customs in Houston no problem. I then re-checked it at Customs for my connecting flight to Kansas City (confirming both my name tag was attached, as well as a baggage handling tag that indicated Kansas City). Somehow it didn't make it to Kansas City, despite plenty of connecting time. I filed a claim promptly at the airport once we landed. I've been checking the website ever since (32 hours at this point) and they still are trying to trace the bag - no further information. After 72 hours, I'll file my claim for my no questions asked $1500. My question is - what happens if they find the bag after the 72 hour timeframe and I've filed the claim? Will I still receive compensation plus my bag?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Posting here on behalf of my wife who's 1K on UA. She flew into EWR today where apparently they left her bag outside in the rain for an hour so that when they finally located it and gave it to her it was soaked. Is there any kind of compensation she can get for this? At the lost luggage desk they basically told her to take a hike and file a complaint on the internet.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:03 am

Lost ski bag

2 days from lost ski bag..direct flight Denver to anchorage and no word on bag....not sure where it could have been lost. $ 1500 will not cover replacement or skis, helmet, poles, boots in bag. But I don’t have original receipts. Do I buy new stuff and give them those receipts?
Old May 25, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Missing Bag Question

So was scheduled to fly OMA-ORD-FRA-ARN leaving yesterday and arriving today with the first 2 legs on UA and the last leg on LH.

Due to weather our first leg was delayed such that even before we left OMA we knew there would be no way we would make the connection to FRA.

Thanks to a a great phone agent we got rebooked OMA-ORD-AMS-FRA-ARN with the first 2 legs on UA and the last two on LH, which got us to ARN about 6 hours later than planned.

Unfortunately our two checked bags did not make it to ARN with us. The United app tracked them as far as AMS and the baggage agent at ARN said their location wasn’t showing in the system but that they would deliver to our hotel when they find them.

my first question is, even though I spoke with the baggage agent at ARN should I also give United a call to see if they have a better idea where the bags are?

Secondly, can I buy some essentials and be reimbursed? If so, which airline would be responsible for the reimbursement?
Old May 25, 2019, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is the sole responsibility of the last delivering carrier to arrange for the bag's delivery to you, reimburse interim expenses, and, if it comes to it, pay for the loss if the bag is not located or is damaged. That is LH.

There is no prohibition on calling UA, but it really is not going to do anything. However, it is important to know that your UA app shows them as offloaded in AMS. You should now have a WorldTracer number and should be able to track it there once LH picks it up.

LH will reimburse reasonable interim expenses and may require receipts. Presumably you have the first 2-3 days clothing in your carry-on, so there will not be that much in the first instance.

You may also find that your travel / baggage insurance allows a set amount per day.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
LH will reimburse reasonable interim expenses and may require receipts. Presumably you have the first 2-3 days clothing in your carry-on, so there will not be that much in the first instance.
There is no such presumption. If I’m checking my luggage, I frequently check all of it except for my laptop bag. I have been reimbursed for clothing and toiletries purchased during a 24-hour baggage delay.

I had to fight with SN to the point of filing a DOT complaint, but LH was simple; I just uploaded receipts through their online form. They reimbursed me via direct deposit, so I had to provide my routing and bank account number as well.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Thanks. I do have a worldtracer number and the status says they are still trying to trace the bags.

i didn’t have much in my carry on so if I have to buy anything it’s good to know that LH is where I should direct the claim.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Thanks. I do have a worldtracer number and the status says they are still trying to trace the bags.

i didn’t have much in my carry on so if I have to buy anything it’s good to know that LH is where I should direct the claim.
If it makes you feel any better my last delayed bag report still shows "attempting to locate" in WorldTracer.nearly 3 weeks after I was reunited with my bag (but that was a 100% UA-operated domestic itin)

At least I finally stopped getting daily texts from UA about it about a week ago...
Old May 25, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by swiftaw
So was scheduled to fly OMA-ORD-FRA-ARN leaving yesterday and arriving today with the first 2 legs on UA and the last leg on LH.

Due to weather our first leg was delayed such that even before we left OMA we knew there would be no way we would make the connection to FRA.

Thanks to a a great phone agent we got rebooked OMA-ORD-AMS-FRA-ARN with the first 2 legs on UA and the last two on LH, which got us to ARN about 6 hours later than planned.

Unfortunately our two checked bags did not make it to ARN with us. The United app tracked them as far as AMS and the baggage agent at ARN said their location wasn’t showing in the system but that they would deliver to our hotel when they find them.

my first question is, even though I spoke with the baggage agent at ARN should I also give United a call to see if they have a better idea where the bags are?

Secondly, can I buy some essentials and be reimbursed? If so, which airline would be responsible for the reimbursement?
Yes. You should have filed a case at the airport baggage desk and receive some paperwork with a case number on it. Buy what you need while you are without your luggage and submit receipts afterwards. This is covered upthread and qualifies for the montreal convention section 19 so you can be reimbursed up to the amount of that convention. Good luck!
Old May 26, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by moops380
you can be reimbursed up to the amount of that convention. Good luck!
This is about USD $1,500 btw.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL MM, NH, UA, IHG Plat
Claim for $1,500 denied - what to do next?

United denied my claim for $1,500. Per their website, "For bags still lost after three days: If we're unable to find your bag after three days, we'll pay you $1,500 for the value of the bag and its contents without requiring any documentation. We'll also reimburse you for the amount you paid to check the bag."

I checked three bags on UA nonstop FCO-IAD; one bag did not not arrive. I filed a lost baggage report. Called United for several days, but they had no information and I continued to received automated texts that they were still looking for the bag. On one phone call they mentioned the bag was sent on another airline, but I continued to receive the texts that they were still looking for the bag. On day four following arrival in IAD, I went to the airport and found my bag in the baggage office of the other airline. It seems to be that the bag was still lost after three days and that I should be entitled to the $1,500.

United denied the claim and offered no compensation saying "Your luggage would have to be deemed totally lost (no scans or forwarding information at all). Even though your luggage was delayed . . . your luggage was located on-hand still at Rome and there were forwar messages in your file indicated the luggage was being sent from Rome to Dulles."

Apart from the informal mention of a note that the bag was being sent on the other airline, their official position was (even after I picked up the luggage at the other airline) that they were still looking for the bag.

Any comments about my position or suggestions as to how to pursue this further with United?
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Lost or stolen, is there a difference?

My son and his GF flew LHR to SFO on United 900 a few days ago. At SFO one of her bags never appeared at baggage claim. She reported the bag missing and received a reference number. They told her that it was most likely that the bag had either "fallen off somewhere" or that another passenger had taken it by mistake. We're closing in on three days now and the tracer still says "Tracing Process Continues, check back later."

It all seemed pretty simple, but there are a couple of complications. First, it appears that the woman at SFO who completed the report put in incorrect information. She may have mixed up the number of the bag that arrived and the one that was missing. Additionally, she misspelled the delivery address and got my son's GF's initial wrong.

When my son's GF called in to check on this and correct any errors, she was told that they have scans of both bags arriving (same thing they told her at the airport). They said that they would keep looking for the bag. They also told her that she would have to file a report with the SFO airport police.

I'm wondering about what all of this means in regards to United's responsibility and the standard $1,500 compensation.
1. Does correcting the information re-set the 72 hour clock?
2. Does it make a difference that the errors were made by United or SFO personnel (I'm not sure which it is in International baggage claim)?
3. Is United pushing for a police report so they can say that the bag was not delayed or lost and avoid having to pay? If they are, can they get away with that?

Does anyone here have experience with something like this? How did it work out? Any advice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.