Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.

Archive thread: Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA runs its baggage resolution out of Houston. I suppose it's possible that they've outsourced some of the work to IGT, but generally the outsourced contractor isn't supposed to identify themselves as such.
When I called elite baggage service during my ordeal, 4 out of 5 calls were answered by male agents with Indian accent, 1 was female agent with accent that's not Indian.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I posted previously about a delay from 12/23 when my bag was delayed almost twenty-four hours. On 1/10, after not hearing a peep from UAL since my initial submission to them on 12/23, I called and spoke to an agent in an ICC who advised they would cover my expenses ($140~) for clothing I had to purchase in DEN. There wasn't much open around 9pm, so I ended up visiting the REI in downtown Denver which, shockingly, didn't have much in the way of a cheap t-shirt, boxers, socks and shorts. I also received an email claiming they will mail me a check and to "Please allow up to 20 ? 30 business days to receive the compensation via US Postal Service.".

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA runs its baggage resolution out of Houston. I suppose it's possible that they've outsourced some of the work to IGT, but generally the outsourced contractor isn't supposed to identify themselves as such.
Fwiw, the agent I spoke to on the phone regarding my delayed bags from last month had an Indian accent and the agent who emailed me (different people) had an Indian name. I would not be surprised if they use an ICC for this. They already do for the web chat, so it wouldn't be a shock.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by CIT85
When I called elite baggage service during my ordeal, 4 out of 5 calls were answered by male agents with Indian accent, 1 was female agent with accent that's not Indian.
My pre-Christmas fiasco was also handled by Indian call center reps, so I don't believe that there are actually any "elite baggage service" reps. But even the baggage agents that I dealt with on the night of my arrival, in person, were equally incompetent. They told me that my baggage was in the transfer area, routed to my original destination airport, so I told them to just have it brought up and I'll wait. They said it could take hours and that they would just deliver it to me. I said that I'd rather wait but they advised strongly against it, pointing to a guy that had been standing at my flight's carousel, looking longingly for his luggage while I was there. They told me to ask him how long he'd been waiting, so I walked up and talked to him. He told me that he'd been there 3 hours already and was extremely frustrated by UA's handling of the situation. So I decided to take them up on the baggage delivery option-what a total CF that turned out to be. After having my 5 bags (2 with Christmas presents) arrive with me and be confirmed as present at the airport when I got there, it took 4 separate deliveries to finally get them all. One arrived on Christmas Eve, one arrived that day after Christmas, two arrived on the 27th (my flight was on the 21st), and the final bag arrived on the 28th (7 days after I landed on the 21st). My many hours on hold seemed to accomplish nothing because no one could ever tell me when my bags would arrive and why they weren't being delivered together instead of piecemeal. The passing-the-buck and know-nothingness that I experienced from UA's staff have left a very sour taste in my mouth.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This was one that I hadn't come across before: United -- or more specifically its contractors outsourced to India -- approved a claim for a delayed baggage situation but is insisting that they can only send the money to a non-US bank account and is asking to be emailed bank account details by the customer who wants the funds to be sent by check within the US.

It seems like a bad idea for UA (or its contractors) to insist that customers email United with bank account information.
Originally Posted by CIT85
My online claim submission for expenses resulted in a check in the mail, and not electronic wire transfer into bank account. This does sound very fishy.
maybe the agent was saying that you'll get a link in your email to fill out the bank account info?

My bag was delayed last July and I received a check in the mail months later. Then my bag was delayed again during Christmas and the phone agent sent me a link to Hyperwallet, where I can choose to receive ACH transfer, Paypal etc. I filled out my bank account info and $150 arrived directly in my bank account a few days later. Basically straight cash without needing to file a claim and wait 6 weeks, but if I need more than $150, I can still file a claim.
SPN Lifer and cfischer like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by leftysauce
maybe the agent was saying that you'll get a link in your email to fill out the bank account info?

My bag was delayed last July and I received a check in the mail months later. Then my bag was delayed again during Christmas and the phone agent sent me a link to Hyperwallet, where I can choose to receive ACH transfer, Paypal etc. I filled out my bank account info and $150 arrived directly in my bank account a few days later. Basically straight cash without needing to file a claim and wait 6 weeks, but if I need more than $150, I can still file a claim.
No Hyperwallet link in this email:

Originally Posted by [email
[email protected]<[email protected][/email]>]

Dear _________,

Thank you for your patience while we process your interim expenses claim. 

I’ll be requesting a bank transfer in the amount of ______ (converted from $____ USD) as the settlement; however, we need more information. Please read below and email applicable information to [email protected], referring to claim number _________: 

1. Bank Name

2. Bank Address 

3. Account Holder

4. Account Number 

5. IBAN 

6. SWIFT/BIC 

7. Sort Code or Clearing Number
8. Bank Currency

We need this information since payments cannot be made to credit cards or U.S. accounts. After we receive your response, our Accounting office will contact you regarding any next steps. Please make sure to email the address listed above. Replying directly to me could delay the process. 

Once again, I’m sorry your luggage was delayed. We understand how important your articles are to you. I can only imagine the frustration. It’s a disappointment for you and us, but I can assure you that it’s not typical of the standards we strive to maintain. 

I hope you’ll choose to fly with us again so that we may have the chance to rebuild your trust in United.

Regards,

________
United Airlines
Claims Representative / Baggage Resolution Center
It’s from IGT Solutions on behalf of UA BRC
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I posted previously about a delay from 12/23 when my bag was delayed almost twenty-four hours. On 1/10, after not hearing a peep from UAL since my initial submission to them on 12/23, I called and spoke to an agent in an ICC who advised they would cover my expenses ($140~) for clothing I had to purchase in DEN. There wasn't much open around 9pm, so I ended up visiting the REI in downtown Denver which, shockingly, didn't have much in the way of a cheap t-shirt, boxers, socks and shorts. I also received an email claiming they will mail me a check and to "Please allow up to 20 ? 30 business days to receive the compensation via US Postal Service.".
My final update; today I received a check from UAL covering the entire purchase I made in DEN after the delay last month. Pleasantly surprised to see it arrive so quick after the note above advising it could be 20-30 business days.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
My final update; today I received a check from UAL covering the entire purchase I made in DEN after the delay last month. Pleasantly surprised to see it arrive so quick after the note above advising it could be 20-30 business days.
Just got $2000 check from United for delayed bag expenses from six months ago. Not sure why mine took so long - maybe because international or multiple passengers?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
On my recent international trip, one of my bags went missing (still is after 4 days), and two of my Rimowas are damaged.
UA created two claims, one for the missing bag, and one for the damaged luggage. They were reluctant to create a claim for the damaged bags since "UA doesn't cover wheel damage, but may make an exception for an international flight", according to the baggage person in DEN.
I assume that, for the missing bag, I could file a claim tomorrow, for the $1,500, since that would be day 5.
For the damaged bags, Rimowa wants me to mail them to the service center to "evaluate and repair". Do I need to clear this with UA first, using the reference number I received, or do I need to mail stuff first to Rimowa to understand total costs?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Flew ORD-DEN-SLC today - ski bag didn't make DEN-SLC, and is just stuck in DEN according to the app and my calls to the baggage desk. There were 3 additional flights to SLC this evening but the bag didn't make any of them. Call to the baggage desk yielded a pathetic $100 in compensation. Total value of the bag and contents is ~$2500, and I will definitely need to incur >$100 for renting ski clothes and equipment tomorrow. Some people are encouraging me to buy new kit and clothes up to the $3800 DOT limit and send the bill to UA - is this realistic? Or is it more realistic to keep receipts for clothes/equipment rentals, hope for the equipment to show up, and then file a claim to replace the bag and contents after 5 days?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:38 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by dimramon
On my recent international trip, one of my bags went missing (still is after 4 days), and two of my Rimowas are damaged.
UA created two claims, one for the missing bag, and one for the damaged luggage. They were reluctant to create a claim for the damaged bags since "UA doesn't cover wheel damage, but may make an exception for an international flight", according to the baggage person in DEN.
I assume that, for the missing bag, I could file a claim tomorrow, for the $1,500, since that would be day 5.
For the damaged bags, Rimowa wants me to mail them to the service center to "evaluate and repair". Do I need to clear this with UA first, using the reference number I received, or do I need to mail stuff first to Rimowa to understand total costs?
Rimowa doesn't have a "lifetime" warranty on luggage damage like Samsonite, on wheels, handles, etc.? But of course they have to look at it to determine that.
I'm pretty sure UA has a maximum as far as what they'll pay for damage, but you can ask them about it, and see what they say before you ship it to Rimowa. Alternatively, and not sure if UA does this anymore, you can have UA send it to their repair vendor.
When our Samsonite luggage (wheels) was damaged when flying LH they cut us a check for $200-300, and we got it fixed for free by Samsonite (except for a shipping fee). On a different occasion UA sent our luggage out for repair to their vendor and they paid for it. At IAH they gave us a big clear plastic bag where we put the contents and they took the luggage right there.
dimramon likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by VRFast
Rimowa doesn't have a "lifetime" warranty on luggage damage like Samsonite, on wheels, handles, etc.?
They now do - for bags purchased after July 2022. Of course I got my bag before that. However, after looking at their "lifetime" warranty, I wonder if there's anything they do cover...
VRFast likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 8:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This was one that I hadn't come across before: United -- or more specifically its contractors outsourced to India -- approved a claim for a delayed baggage situation but is insisting that they can only send the money to a non-US bank account and is asking to be emailed bank account details by the customer who wants the funds to be sent by check within the US.

It seems like a bad idea for UA (or its contractors) to insist that customers email United with bank account information.
In response to being told the customer only banks in the US and insisting that payment be made to the customer in the US via check [email protected] emailed that they have issued a check to the customer’s US address and it will take 30 business days to receive the check via US postal services.

Update as of March 24: the check got delivered to the US address within less than 7 days from the email noting that "it will take 30 business days to receive the check via US postal services".
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 24, 2023 at 10:08 am
Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:33 pm

This is a new one for me... United says it's been a month, so my bag is officially lost.
It's been a very interesting time, with agents constantly putting in the wrong bag description, getting calls and emails saying my bag has been delivered, calling them back and being told my bag hasn't been found yet.
I'm curious if anyone has ever had a bag show up after a month?
I tried to use the worldtracer tracker, but it's either wrong or there is an issue, since it tells me "my airline doesn't use the service".
As far as I know, my bag never made it onto a flight at Duesseldorf with Eurowings - connecting to multiple UA flights.
I
Old Jul 1, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Lost luggage maximum

So it has been three days since my luggage has been sighted. I know after five days I can claim for the bag and contents.

I last saw my luggage sitting on the tarmac at DEN. When I arrived in SYD they told me the luggage was at LAX but at no time did "Track My Bags" show this . It is as if my bags went unto the ether three days ago.

As I am in SYD but reside in the USA I am struggling to understand the maximum amount that will be reimbursed. For context the contents are a new pair boots and a oair of old boots, more shoes), couple of dresses, cosmetics and toiletries (Chanel), leggings, gloves, overcoat, tops , underwear, etc. Not inexpensive items to be replaced and Sydney is not a discount shopping area.

What is the maximum amount to be reimbursed as I very much doubt my bag will be with me in five days.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So it has been three days since my luggage has been sighted. I know after five days I can claim for the bag and contents.

I last saw my luggage sitting on the tarmac at DEN. When I arrived in SYD they told me the luggage was at LAX but at no time did "Track My Bags" show this . It is as if my bags went unto the ether three days ago.

As I am in SYD but reside in the USA I am struggling to understand the maximum amount that will be reimbursed. For context the contents are a new pair boots and a oair of old boots, more shoes), couple of dresses, cosmetics and toiletries (Chanel), leggings, gloves, overcoat, tops , underwear, etc. Not inexpensive items to be replaced and Sydney is not a discount shopping area.

What is the maximum amount to be reimbursed as I very much doubt my bag will be with me in five days.
Relevant web page:
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...e/delayed.html

Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

Notice of baggage liability limits

For domestic travel between points within the United States (except for domestic portions of international journeys), United's liability for loss of, damage to, or delay in delivery of a passenger's checked baggage is limited to $3,800 per ticketed passenger. In accordance with 14 CFR Part 382, the above limit of liability does not apply for loss, damage or delay of wheelchairs or other assistive devices. United assumes no liability for high value, fragile, or perishable items carried in connection with domestic travel. For a complete list of excluded items, see the terms in our Contract of Carriage or at our website, united.com. For international travel to which the Montreal Convention applies, liability for loss, delay, or damage is limited to 1,288 SDR per passenger for baggage, whether checked or unchecked. Exchange rates are available at www.IMF.org. For international travel to which the Warsaw Convention applies, liability for loss, delay, or damage to baggage is limited to $20 per kilogram (approximately $9.07 per pound) up to $640, and $400 per passenger for unchecked baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.