Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.

Archive thread: Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: AA Gold
finally got connected at 3 hours and 21 minutes and was issued a payment through Hyperwallet for $150 for "hygiene items"
Old Dec 24, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by leftysauce
finally got connected at 3 hours and 21 minutes and was issued a payment through Hyperwallet for $150 for "hygiene items"
That is really poor customer service three hours and change
zombietooth likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by leftysauce
that's understandable but don't quote a 30 min wait time when i will be on hold for more than 3 hours. if it's 30 mins off that's totally fine but a 2 hours+ misestimation is unacceptable.
I was calling everyday dealing with delayed bag. Each time the system said wait time is 10-15 minute, and each time it ended up being more than 60 minutes. I would much prefer if they just don't mention any potential wait time, knowing that I'll be waiting a long time.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: United Platinum
To give credit when it's due, United did a terrific job after my daughter's wallet fell out of her bag on our flight from SFO last week. I filled out the web site form and while it did take a nerve-wracking 48 hours the wallet was found by either the cabin or cleaning crew. I got the notification via email and requested it to be held for pickup, and sure enough when we returned to SFO a couple days later the wallet was waiting at the baggage claim desk for her, all contents intact including cash.

Being able to talk to a human would have been nice but the system did work exactly as promised, so I have no complaints.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 5:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
That is really poor customer service three hours and change
Perhaps but given the mutliple thousands of flight cancellations in the USA for the past couple of day at the heaviest travel week of the year, systems are a bit strained
2/3s of UA flights were significant delay or cancelled yesterday and half day -- and other carriers are just as impacted. Not average days and systems are not designed to handle such without extended phone times
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Perhaps but given the mutliple thousands of flight cancellations in the USA for the past couple of day at the heaviest travel week of the year, systems are a bit strained
2/3s of UA flights were significant delay or cancelled yesterday and half day -- and other carriers are just as impacted. Not average days and systems are not designed to handle such without extended phone times
Just to add on to this. I don't think the system is calculating its estimated wait based on live wait times, but rather current number of calls in queue, agents available, and historic call handling times. So when the call handling times skyrocket (which they do during IRROPs) the estimates are going to be way off because it is calculating the estimated wait. based on how long it normally takes to get to you from your position in line
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I wonder what leftysauce has to say about this..
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold AA PLT
Cancelled flight, missing bags and other consequences. Need advice

Was flying UA1956 EWR-SLC for a skiing trip on the night of 12/25. UA cancelled the flight because of crew shortage after delaying the take-off for 6+ hours. When it was finally cancelled around 2:30am, we were told that there was no staff to unload the plane and to file a claim for the bags to be delivered. The last scan of the bags showed that they were loaded into the airplane (as shown by the app).

It should not be difficult to the locate these bags, as they never flew or left EWR. It is now two days later, I am assuming the bags must have been unloaded. A claim was filed but UA's bagtrace shows no update on where the bags are. The wait to talk to baggage claim is 3+ hours and every time they have nothing to say. What can I do?

We had to cancel the entire ski trip because there were no seats on any flight (from any airport on any airline) from the east coast to SLC in the next five days (rippling effects from the storm), plus UA still had our bags with all the gear. There were a number of expenses that were not refundable, including the Airbnb lodging and the kid's skiing lessons. Am I entitled to any compensation from UA?

Lastly, that was supposed to be my last flight of the year, with which I was counting on to make gold. Now I have a 500 PQP shortage, which I suppose UA will make an offer of $1500 for me to buy upto next year. Is there anything I can do, or rather, anything I can ask MilagePlus to do?

Many thanks for any advice in advance!

Last edited by hyperion; Dec 27, 2022 at 3:05 pm
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hyperion
It should not be difficult to the locate these bags, as they never flew or left EWR. It is now two days later, I am assuming the bags must have been unloaded. A claim was filed but UA's bagtrace shows no update on where the bags are. The wait to talk to baggage claim is 3+ hours and every time they have nothing to say. What can I do?
Wait. It sounds like you don't need your bags immediately; they will almost assuredly be located and delivered in a few days.

There were a number of expenses that were not refundable, including the Airbnb lodging and the kid's skiing lessons. Am I entitled to any compensation from UA?
Entitled? No. Might UA offer a goodwill gesture? Sure. Will they cover any indirect damages? No. That's what travel insurance is for.

Lastly, that was supposed to be my last flight of the year, with which I was counting on to make gold. Now I have a 500 PQP shortage, which I suppose UA will make an offer of $1500 for me to buy upto next year. Is there anything I can do, or rather, anything I MilagePlus can do?
If your ticket has not yet been refunded, you can request Original Routing Credit in lieu of a refund. That'll likely be cheaper than any buy-up offer.
SPN Lifer and ARR72 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Entitled? No. Might UA offer a goodwill gesture? Sure. Will they cover any indirect damages? No. That's what travel insurance is for.
How do I go about asking for a goodwill gesture from UA? Is there any special number to call or webform to fill out, or should I just call MileagePlus?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 1MM, 1.8 MM, IC RA
Getting your bags back will take a while. The tracking web site is not updated with the precise information that the baggage department has. Our EWR to MAD was cancelled at 2:30 am and we cancelled our trip. We planned to return home the next day. We made 4 requests through customer assistance and the Polaris lounge to have our bags removed and sent to our home airport destination. They continued on to Madrid the next day without us and landed on the weekend. UA baggage couldn’t reach anyone at MAD because it was the weekend…Finally, two days later they made it back to EWR and were then tagged to our home airport (not a hub), this was day 4. One bag made it but the UA baggage tracking file said both bags did so they closed the claim, Only after convincing a baggage representative that the second bag never arrived, it was located still in EWR (day 5). They tagged the bag to our home airport but erroneously tried to put it on a EWR to YYZ (day 6). I discovered this when talking to the baggage representative. The last bag arrived the next day. My take away is you have to speak to baggage because bad things happen.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do I go about asking for a goodwill gesture from UA? Is there any special number to call or webform to fill out, or should I just call MileagePlus?
If you didn't get a notification to contact the United Cares website, try sending a short message to Premier Voice, which appears to have been rolled into Customer Care: https://www.united.com/en/us/customercare
SPN Lifer and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Now I have a 500 PQP shortage, which I suppose UA will make an offer of $1500 for me to buy upto next year. Is there anything I can do, or rather, anything I can ask MilagePlus to do?
Purchase an E+ subscription for $599, which will earn you 599 PQP?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IADdelayed
Purchase an E+ subscription for $599, which will earn you 599 PQP?
Yes and no. Not purchasable, for themselves, by Gold or higher elites.
PQPs go to the named traveler, not the purchaser.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 11:01 pm

kodyandgracie, thank you for sharing your experience, in particular your advice to call the human agents because they have more information. After another 3-hour hold, I found out that my bags landed today at SLC, despite a claim filed two days ago and multiple phone calls to have the bags pulled. Pretty much exactly as you reported. UA now promised to send the bags on the next flight back to my home airport. Given that their web tracking seems worthless, do you recommend that I keep calling them to check, just to make sure that nothing else goes wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.