Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.

Archive thread: Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2023, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Or the original price minus depreciation, that is, the "fair market value", of the missing items?
This is UA's regulatory obligation -- original price minus depreciation: https://www.transportation.gov/lost-...amaged-baggage

However, they're generally reasonable on these things when it comes specifically to clothing. Used clothing has very little resale value, but UA is not expecting its customers to seek out a thrift store to buy clothes for a trip. With receipts, and considering the length of the trip, I expect most or all of OP's claims will be honored at replacement value (full out-of-pocket cost).

UA's policy still says that they will pay for the contents of the bag if it's missing after five days. In theory, that should still apply even though the bag was eventually found; as I read the rules, OP just gets to keep whatever was still in the luggage as a bonus. I've seen one or two anecdotes that match that pattern, but no data (either way) recently.

OP: I agree that you're probably going to want to amend your existing claim, but the process for doing so isn't exactly clear. I assume you've been working with the Baggage Recovery Center at 800-335-2247. I'm not aware of another avenue, although if you happen to be heading to the airport in the next few days and have a little extra time, you could try stopping by baggage services and talking to somebody there. They should, at a minimum, be able to look up your claim and tell you how to add documentation to it, or they can tell you if filing a brand new claim is somehow correct.
SPN Lifer and CPS89 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP: I agree that you're probably going to want to amend your existing claim, but the process for doing so isn't exactly clear. I assume you've been working with the Baggage Recovery Center at 800-335-2247. I'm not aware of another avenue, although if you happen to be heading to the airport in the next few days and have a little extra time, you could try stopping by baggage services and talking to somebody there. They should, at a minimum, be able to look up your claim and tell you how to add documentation to it, or they can tell you if filing a brand new claim is somehow correct.
Thank you for the advice. That is the number I have been using for the BRC, and where I suspect I was sent after calling 1K. I'm far too frustrated with this ordeal to sit on hold for an hour and talk to an agent who won't realize this is an unusual situation (for a lost bag case at least), so I'll stop in the baggage service at ORD on my return trip later this week.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC P(easant)25K
I was connecting at ORD today,
My checked bag was unloaded from my flight to ORD then went silent. Didn't show up at my destination (YOW).

Assuming they cannot find it within five days... What is their current policy now that they no longer pay out $1500 right away?
"we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag."

Do I just make up a list and a number to tell them?
I don't have any extremely valuable items per se, there maybe about USD$200-$300 worth of clothes/accessories and travel medications.
Most of them are not brand new, maybe 1-2 months old except for a few items I purchased during the trip. (about $USD 50 each) I have the receipt for them.

Am I going to get nothing because used clothes have low "fair market value"?
Old Aug 23, 2023, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CPS89
I called the 1K line twice and asked to be transferred to the 1K baggage desk, and was sent to the ICC both times. Both times were outside M-F 9-5 and I don't know if that makes a difference.
Just wanted to close the loop on this in case anyone runs into a multiple-week delayed bag in the future. I ended up just waiting it out to see what they would do with the original claim.

BRC reached out by email denying the claim because my bag was returned to me. I responded to the email and pointed out the lost bag policy that states they will pay for contents after 5 days. They responded that they were approving the original claim and sending a check.

Unbelievably poor communication throughout by UA, but both 1K voice and customer care sent me $500 ETCs in addition to approving the claim so I guess I'm okay with the result.
jsloan and bitterproffit like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GOld, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Baggage issue…. Any way to escalate?

I am still missing a piece of checked luggage from a flight Saturday. It was located and was supposed to be delivered yesterday. I have spent hours on United’s chat line, reached out via Twitter, etc. all I keep getting is … be patient….

is there anyplace where you can call and get an actual person that has some leverage to try to get something happening?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
so,stuck in the dreaded lost baggage loop -bag lost at newark from lax to edi..... really want the bag and contents back as to me they were irreplaceable,but was told united will pay 150$ a day for me to buy new clothes /essential items...how long does this go on for? one agent told me til the bag is found is that correct? or is there a total limit?is the total limit based on the amount you claim in the claim form? the stuff has a high value to me but monetary value would not necessarily high as lots of used clothes-though a family kilt and sporran was lost
Old Sep 13, 2023, 6:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
so,stuck in the dreaded lost baggage loop -bag lost at newark from lax to edi..... really want the bag and contents back as to me they were irreplaceable,but was told united will pay 150$ a day for me to buy new clothes /essential items...how long does this go on for? one agent told me til the bag is found is that correct? or is there a total limit?is the total limit based on the amount you claim in the claim form? the stuff has a high value to me but monetary value would not necessarily high as lots of used clothes-though a family kilt and sporran was lost
At five days, it is declared lost (although still may eventually show up). Once "lost" you can make a lost bag claim.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
At five days, it is declared lost (although still may eventually show up). Once "lost" you can make a lost bag claim.
Recently had the same with UA, Bags arrived day 8. Filed for lost baggage and in response I was asked for receipts of things I purchased during the delay..
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:09 pm

i see-i thought though that if it was delayed over 5 days you would get what the value of the bag was without receipts or otherwise?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
i see-i thought though that if it was delayed over 5 days you would get what the value of the bag was without receipts or otherwise?
For a while that was true, suspect too many took advantage of that. See the wiki / united site for more.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:24 pm

Likewise. Glad I have receipts.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:30 pm

thanks-so if the bag is lost there is no way to get compensation for stuff in the bag? I do not keep receipts for clothing etc as not expecting stuff to go missing..
( have receipts for replacement stuff bought this week-but is that all that i can be compensated for?)

from the united site but seems unclear -if they pop up any time later -seems that no1 says you will only get compensation for stuff bought whilst missing
2 says after 5days then say they will comp value of stuff in bag but receipts may be reqd(cant believe people keep all receipts for stuff bought a while ago?!)
anyway 1 seems to invalidate 2 if bags pop up in the future

1.If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.
FOR BAGS STILL LOST AFTER FIVE DAYS
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2023 at 11:52 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from the united site but seems unclear -if they pop up any time later -seems that no1 says you will only get compensation for stuff bought whilst missing
2 says after 5days then say they will comp value of stuff in bag but receipts may be reqd(cant believe people keep all receipts for stuff bought a while ago?!)
anyway 1 seems to invalidate 2 if bags pop up in the future
UA isn't going to sell your stuff back to you if they find your bag, and they don't particularly want it. They'll still give it to you.

They could request receipts, I guess, but in practice I can't imagine that they would unless you claim you had something that was both expensive and relatively new. They're responsible for the market value of the contents -- so, as you point out, used clothing isn't going to be a very high value. On an international itinerary, they're required by the Montreal Convention to reimburse up to 1288 SDR, which is about $1700 / £1370 at the moment. They're allowed to reimburse more than that, but unless you arranged for insurance in advance, don't expect them to. And they can, and will, count reimbursement for any replacement items you purchased toward the $1700.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:10 pm

i understand -thanks.. so if the bag does appear sometime in the future even after the 5days you would not get the 1700$ comp at all? just what was bought new as replacement in the interim?
would prefer to get the bag back and use the stuff in it-however dont know when or if it will ever return so not sure if i should just be waiting and hoping for the bag or buying new stuff...
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:56 pm

Once you get past 5 days and submit a lost bag claim, it does not matter of the bag is eventually found or not.
As far as receipts, UA will accept a good faith estimate unless it is some usually expensive item. But used clothing is value well below retail.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.