Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.

Archive thread: Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2023, 1:43 pm

Hello - recently flew from MUC to EWR and then onwards to IAH. Bag arrived in EWR but then disappeared and didnt make it to IAH.
I received a notification that the bag is considered lost. I have not submitted receipts for interim expenses yet, nor for the lost bag. My bag itself is a TUMI and contained fairly expensive clothing, a suit and shirts, expensive shaver, expensive toothbrush, perfumes etc. etc oh well.
How much am I entitled to and what is the best approach here? Am currently a measly silver.
File separate claims for interim expenses and the lost bag? All in one?
Thank you.

Edit: Can probably gather majority of expenses but would kind of prefer a one-and-done payment if thats an option?

Last edited by FTDDD; Sep 14, 2023 at 1:53 pm Reason: Added more information
Old Sep 14, 2023, 2:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTDDD
Hello - recently flew from MUC to EWR and then onwards to IAH. Bag arrived in EWR but then disappeared and didnt make it to IAH.
I received a notification that the bag is considered lost. I have not submitted receipts for interim expenses yet, nor for the lost bag. My bag itself is a TUMI and contained fairly expensive clothing, a suit and shirts, expensive shaver, expensive toothbrush, perfumes etc. etc oh well.
How much am I entitled to and what is the best approach here? Am currently a measly silver.
File separate claims for interim expenses and the lost bag? All in one?
Thank you.

Edit: Can probably gather majority of expenses but would kind of prefer a one-and-done payment if thats an option?
UA's max liability is roughly $1,700 and that includes interim expenses. You will not get new replacement value, but rather depreciated value unless a very recent purchase.
jsloan and FTDDD like this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 2:01 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Once you get past 5 days and submit a lost bag claim, it does not matter of the bag is eventually found or not.
As far as receipts, UA will accept a good faith estimate unless it is some usually expensive item. But used clothing is value well below retail.
thanks-so next problem is when I try to submit a claim i cannot as when i press the button and it does not move to the next page
one time i got this message. is this just me?
Transaction (Process ID 150) was deadlocked on lock | communication buffer resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
thanks-so next problem is when I try to submit a claim i cannot as when i press the button and it does not move to the next page
one time i got this message. is this just me?
Transaction (Process ID 150) was deadlocked on lock | communication buffer resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.
Try clearing cookies, try a different browser, try a different computer.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 3:56 pm

I got a message saying they were working on the error and seems to be fixed now didnt work before on different computer either .
it gets worse though.
they said they would send a pdf file for me to submit .mail was recvd..with no attachment..almost like they dont want me to submit a claim!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:58 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I got a message saying they were working on the error and seems to be fixed now didnt work before on different computer either .
it gets worse though.
they said they would send a pdf file for me to submit .mail was recvd..with no attachment..almost like they dont want me to submit a claim!
Keep pushing forward -- a lot of this is outsourced so don't think it was intentional -- probably just incompetency..

My absolute worst experience was with LH giving my very expensive suit coat away to another passenger that got off the plane in Riyadh while I continued on to Bahrain -- When I was landing in Bahrain I asked for my coat and they looked at me in horror when they handed me a jacket that wasn't mine.... Even though I had receipts for the recently purchased jacket they kept refusing to pay more than a few hundred euro as they said they aren't responsible for clothing brought on board -- even though I told them that the FA took it and gave it away to another pax -- which they even admitted -- but I kept it up and got my $2k back eventually..... And then out of the blue many months later I got a call from a French guy that said he found my business card in my coat and wanted to know how to return it -- and he was sad because he loved the coat lol!
jsloan, SPN Lifer and FTDDD like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 12:11 pm

it gets worse though.
The level of support I've lately been receiving from United is unfathomable. I am seriously wondering if dishonesty and willful incomptency are part of the playbook of the guy they hired from Comcast.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/unit...eplus-new-ceo/
Old Sep 18, 2023, 3:29 pm

looks like they have found my bag!great news!! being told a possible match...i had just submitted my claim as now 9days since lost. will the bag discovery affect the claim?

At five days, it is declared lost (although still may eventually show up). Once "lost" you can make a lost bag claim.
the below seems to suggest they wont pay you the value of the bag claim if they discover it even after 5 days as long as they find it..
only the interim expenses?

Bags that don't arrive with you are considered delayed. You can track your bags online or sign up for text or email alerts for status updates. If your bag gets delayed, we will pay you back for any surprise costs if you send us receipts.

If we can't find your bag in 5 days, you can then submit a lost bag claim for your bag and its contents, which will further help our search. Expenses that were already reimbursed will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are lost permanently.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2023 at 5:29 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:32 pm

DOT states
What are the airlines’ responsibilities when your bag is lost?
  • Once an airline determines that your bag is lost, the airline is responsible for compensating you for your bags’ contents - subject to depreciation and maximum liability limits.

• Airlines are also required to refund any fees you paid the airline to transport the bag that was lost.

• Airlines may require receipts or other proof for valuable items that were in the lost bags.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2023 at 9:18 pm Reason: see updated UA site
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:36 pm

thanks-but seems as they have a possible match will not be determined as lost? sorry to keep asking!
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:43 pm

thanks-but seems as they have a possible match will not be determined as lost? sorry to keep asking!
The UA statement is clear, after five days a bag is lost (even if found)
UA states
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2023 at 9:17 pm Reason: UA has updated their site, wiki updated
Old Sep 18, 2023, 6:16 pm

thanks again-sorry to be so pernickety..
Old Sep 18, 2023, 8:20 pm

so i spoke to united baggage about them possibly finding my lost bag.regarding the claims they said that iif they have found my bag then they will only reimburse interim expenses.the 5days is only for waiting before making a claim.they will only pay for the whole bag if it is lost permanently.

this seems inline with what is stated below.. as the bag is not lost permanently they will only cover interim expenses

If we can't find your bag in 5 days, you can then submit a lost bag claim for your bag and its contents, which will further help our search. Expenses that were already reimbursed will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are lost permanently.

The UA statement is clear, after five days a bag is lost (even if found)
UA states
i cannot see anywhere the statement that you quote.is it poss it was updated to say permanently lost?thats what I see now..

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2023 at 9:13 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:10 pm

i cannot see anywhere the statement that you quote.is it poss it was updated to say permanently lost?thats what I see now..
Updated the wiki a week ago and now the word permanent has been added. Have re-updated the wiki.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
(Mods: Please Move if this isn't the right thread...I couldn't find a "Items Stolen from luggage" equivalent)

In 30 years of flying, I had my first item stolen out of my bag today on MCO-ORD. While not expensive (it was a vest), it had a great deal of sentimental value. I am 75% certain it was stolen in MCO after checking the bag.

United baggage service told me they cannot open an investigation and offered me a $100 travel voucher as compensation. Couple questions:

A. Do I have any additional recourse or avenues to pursue?
B. Does the compensation feel in line with what to expect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.