Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.

Archive thread: Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So it has been three days since my luggage has been sighted. I know after five days I can claim for the bag and contents.

I last saw my luggage sitting on the tarmac at DEN. When I arrived in SYD they told me the luggage was at LAX but at no time did "Track My Bags" show this . It is as if my bags went unto the ether three days ago.

As I am in SYD but reside in the USA I am struggling to understand the maximum amount that will be reimbursed. For context the contents are a new pair boots and a oair of old boots, more shoes), couple of dresses, cosmetics and toiletries (Chanel), leggings, gloves, overcoat, tops , underwear, etc. Not inexpensive items to be replaced and Sydney is not a discount shopping area.

What is the maximum amount to be reimbursed as I very much doubt my bag will be with me in five days.
Sorry for your trouble. It's not clear from your post if you made a lost/delayed baggage claim with ua. Imo this is a necessary first step regardless of outcome. Also check your travel insurance as most have delayed/lost baggage coverage.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
And, Australia has ratified the Montreal Convention, so it applies, rather than the Warsaw Convention.

1288 SDR is about $1725, give or take, at current exchange rates.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
And, Australia has ratified the Montreal Convention, so it applies, rather than the Warsaw Convention.

Thank you jsloan . This was the part i did not understand.

i filed the claim as soon as I landed and United is still tracing the bag.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

......... at no time did "Track My Bags" show this ........
You need to call UA baggage tracing. Track My Bags is not reliable. I have had several instances where Track My Bags showed no information when phone agent was able to trace it and eventually delivered it.
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I had a bag "delayed" on a IAH-ORD flight four days ago. I watched from the plane as my bag was loaded on the plane at IAH, but I can't recall if it got scanned onto the plane. I am certain it was my bag as it's pretty unique. I am almost certain my bag is sitting in ORD somewhere.

ORD is my home airport. I have called the premier baggage desk twice in the past two days to see if they would authorize reimbursing me for a new bag purchase as I depart again on Monday morning at 6am. Both times they told me they found the bag in IAH and they are sending it on a flight that morning. It did not come on a flight yesterday morning, and it appears that it did not come on a flight this morning.

FWIW the baggage claim tracker says they're still looking for the bag in IAH. I am not sure where the agents are seeing that they found the bag and are sending it.

Do I just buy a new bag and send it in for reimbursement and hope they pay it? Has anyone experienced this situation?

Last edited by CPS89; Jul 8, 2023 at 7:18 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 8, 2023, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thank you jsloan . This was the part i did not understand.

i filed the claim as soon as I landed and United is still tracing the bag.
Call 1K. There is still a special bag desk for 1K ... they were very helpful to track down a bag for me before.

Usually UA will reimburse reasonable expenses, depending on your ticketed cabin and status that can be less or more. I have never had issues submitting say $200 in receipts for a 3 day delay ... assuming you'll get it back soon.
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 8:38 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
FYI -- I've heard that UA is still working through the collateral damage of last week's meltdown and while certain things require the BRC to authorize (based on either time since loss or value or both) the BRC is backed up and there is a somewhat unusual method being used to express through that logjam. Essentially, though it sounds as if an airport BSO agent tells someone that something will be done as far as compensation (and follows the appropriate internal documentation steps) the BRC will rubber stamp it and process it as quickly as they can.

Originally Posted by CPS89
FWIW the baggage claim tracker says they're still looking for the bag in IAH. I am not sure where the agents are seeing that they found the bag and are sending it.

Do I just buy a new bag and send it in for reimbursement and hope they pay it? Has anyone experienced this situation?
I don't think the baggage claim tracker has ever reflected my bag being found -- even days after it's been delivered to me. Granted my sample size is 2-3 times per year but I wouldn't put too much faith in that. What I would be tempted to do -- though ORD being a hub (and see above meltdown comment) would be to either call the ORD BSO's local number or pop in to the BSO and (politely) tell them that the BRC says your bag has been sent and ask if they're able to check, and if they can't check or can't find it at ORD ask if the BSO can authorize the replacement bag buy (or give you one of their spares, or give you an ETC equivalent to a bag purchase -- which would be easier to process on-the-spot at the airport level)
SPN Lifer and CPS89 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
What I would be tempted to do -- though ORD being a hub (and see above meltdown comment) would be to either call the ORD BSO's local number or pop in to the BSO and (politely) tell them that the BRC says your bag has been sent and ask if they're able to check, and if they can't check or can't find it at ORD ask if the BSO can authorize the replacement bag buy (or give you one of their spares, or give you an ETC equivalent to a bag purchase -- which would be easier to process on-the-spot at the airport level)
Thanks for the advice. I tried it out as I had a couple of hours free today and popped into the ORD BSO.

For anyone that's thinking about trying this in the future, it wasn't worth the effort. The lady at the BSO did a cursory check for my bag, and she didn't find it. She was unaware of it being shipped in from IAH. Referred me back to the BRC phone line.

I also tried calling the 1K desk, and they forwarded me to the same outsourced call center that I've been dealing with. The agent told me it'll be sent on the next available flight as they did for the last five days. I'm sure they just couldn't fit it on the other ~50 IAH-ORD flights in that time period.

I just filed a claim and chalked it up as a lost bag. Thanks again for all the great advice here- even if it didn't work for me this time!
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:46 am

So I did finally receive my bag after 9 nine days. I had good experiences with the 1K baggage line the first two times I called in, albeit long wait times, but the third time the person was so unhelpful. The third person stated that as the bag had been handed off to VA there was nothing they could do, even though the flight she told me had been two days earlier and had been cancelled and I shared that information with her that a cancelled flight two days earlier was of no assistance to me tracking down my bag. I contacted a few different folks at United as there was most definitely something that could be done - contact baggage service with VA, contact the station manager in Melbourne or Sydney. At no time was my bag supposed to go to Melbourne and then be put on a VA flight and I was planning on the morning of Day 10 on going out to Sydney airport to see the station manager at Sydney airport. Heck I was happy to get on a flight to Melbourne is necessary to find my bag.

I have now submitted my claims for the purchases I made over a few days - just a couple of each day in the hope that my luggage would turn up that day.

Uncertain why there are not better processes for tracking luggage. I am thinking of getting the air tags after this experience.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

Originally Posted by cfischer
Call 1K. There is still a special bag desk for 1K ... they were very helpful to track down a bag for me before.

Usually UA will reimburse reasonable expenses, depending on your ticketed cabin and status that can be less or more. I have never had issues submitting say $200 in receipts for a 3 day delay ... assuming you'll get it back soon.
Impressed with the reimbursement side of the delayed luggage. When filing the claim it did say 6-8 weeks which was fairly understandable based on the number of delayed and cancelled flights during the period for my delayed luggage but I received a response after 10 days and they approved the claims less the initial amount they had already put into my bank account the day I landed and I was told when claiming that amount this would likely happen). It states I should reveive a check within 21 days which means I will have the funds in time to pay my credit card bill which is good timing.

As an FYI for the eight day delay (really closer to nine days) my claim was significantly less then the maximum of $1,500 but came out to just under $100/day. (I attempted to be very reasonable with my purchases and tried to purchase things on sale as i had a couple of functions and events that were planned that i needed to attend and it is Winter and has been quite cold.)

Although I was not happy about the delayed luggage experience - nine days of which 7 were sitting in an airport in another city, United made it right in the end.

Goodwill has been generated by the quick turn around time on the claim and makes up for the horrible experience with the 1K baggage claim call - had two wonderful folks and then the third person was so unhelpful and dismissive that I wrote into 1K voice on how that agent could have provided help and perhaps they should update their SOPs and not tell a customer there is nothing they can do.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 11:54 am

I had a bag "delayed" on a IAH-ORD flight four days ago.
I am so frustrated with UA and am looking for how the more experienced members here would move forward in my situation. My bag was delayed ORD-IAH beginning of July. Was told bag was found and to be sent on the next available flight for five straight days, and was never sent. Was told to file a claim after 5th day- which I did. I have since replaced 90% of the stuff including the bag.

Lost bag was delivered to me on 7/26. Arrived with popped open lock/damaged bag and roughly 30% of the value of the bag missing. First thought was CBP grabbed/opened my bag but there's no note. I called 1K and they sent me to the outsourced baggage center which wanted to open a new claim. I hung up when they said they wanted to open a new claim- I have zero trust in this team to do anything after our first 5-6 conversations.

I wrote to customer care and 1K voice and said they were investigating on 7/8. They have not responded and I'm hesitant to reach out again. My instinct is to just wait it out and see if they pay the initial claim. My worry with this route is that the deny the claim because the bag was delivered, then deny a new claim because it wasn't sent in time.

Alternately, I'm considering reaching out to DOT. It was a 14 day trip and the claim is just short of $3000- I don't want to screw this up.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I am so frustrated with UA and am looking for how the more experienced members here would move forward in my situation. My bag was delayed ORD-IAH beginning of July. Was told bag was found and to be sent on the next available flight for five straight days, and was never sent. Was told to file a claim after 5th day- which I did. I have since replaced 90% of the stuff including the bag.

Lost bag was delivered to me on 7/26. Arrived with popped open lock/damaged bag and roughly 30% of the value of the bag missing. First thought was CBP grabbed/opened my bag but there's no note. I called 1K and they sent me to the outsourced baggage center which wanted to open a new claim. I hung up when they said they wanted to open a new claim- I have zero trust in this team to do anything after our first 5-6 conversations.

I wrote to customer care and 1K voice and said they were investigating on 7/8. They have not responded and I'm hesitant to reach out again. My instinct is to just wait it out and see if they pay the initial claim. My worry with this route is that the deny the claim because the bag was delivered, then deny a new claim because it wasn't sent in time.

Alternately, I'm considering reaching out to DOT. It was a 14 day trip and the claim is just short of $3000- I don't want to screw this up.
if I recall correctly United pays $1500 after five days if the bag is missing. I’m not an expert in this field, is the $3000 what you’ve replaced so far and have receipts? I’ll leave it to the other Sage Flyertalkers to communicate more specifically. Many years in the past there was a 1K baggage office, does that no longer exist? Best of luck
Old Jul 30, 2023, 1:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
if I recall correctly United pays $1500 after five days if the bag is missing. ...
UA removed that statement a couple months ago but at least one poster mentioned getting that attemp (without receipts) last month.

I’m not an expert in this field, is the $3000 what you’ve replaced so far and have receipts? ....
DOT (for domestic itins) requires airlines to cover up to $3,800 with receipts (but seems to accept estimates for older items). Note airlines do not offer replacement but rather depreciated value.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and CPS89 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 4:10 pm

....is the $3000 what you’ve replaced so far and have receipts?
I have receipts for replacements for about $2300. I'm concerned because it was hard to do a replacement at the same price point. The same bag in the modern model was $200 more expensive to replace vs the purchase price in 2018. One of the items was a 2pc suit that was purchased for $850 in 2018. I replaced it with a different suit at ~$1000- will they cover full replacement cost or just $850? In addition, I was able to purchase a few of the same dress shirts/pants, but they're now 20% more expensive than when originally purchased. If I get reimbursed, is it at purchase price or original price?

Many years in the past there was a 1K baggage office, does that no longer exist? Best of luck
I called the 1K line twice and asked to be transferred to the 1K baggage desk, and was sent to the ICC both times. Both times were outside M-F 9-5 and I don't know if that makes a difference.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CPS89 (Post # 734)
I'm concerned because it was hard to do a replacement at the same price point. The same bag in the modern model was $200 more expensive to replace vs the purchase price in 2018. One of the items was a 2pc suit that was purchased for $850 in 2018. I replaced it with a different suit at ~$1000- will they cover full replacement cost or just $850? In addition, I was able to purchase a few of the same dress shirts/pants, but they're now 20% more expensive than when originally purchased. If I get reimbursed, is it at purchase price or original price?
Or the original price minus depreciation, that is, the "fair market value", of the missing items?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.