FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues
Old Jul 1, 2023, 5:09 am
goodeats21
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So it has been three days since my luggage has been sighted. I know after five days I can claim for the bag and contents.

I last saw my luggage sitting on the tarmac at DEN. When I arrived in SYD they told me the luggage was at LAX but at no time did "Track My Bags" show this . It is as if my bags went unto the ether three days ago.

As I am in SYD but reside in the USA I am struggling to understand the maximum amount that will be reimbursed. For context the contents are a new pair boots and a oair of old boots, more shoes), couple of dresses, cosmetics and toiletries (Chanel), leggings, gloves, overcoat, tops , underwear, etc. Not inexpensive items to be replaced and Sydney is not a discount shopping area.

What is the maximum amount to be reimbursed as I very much doubt my bag will be with me in five days.
Relevant web page:
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...e/delayed.html

Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

Notice of baggage liability limits

For domestic travel between points within the United States (except for domestic portions of international journeys), United's liability for loss of, damage to, or delay in delivery of a passenger's checked baggage is limited to $3,800 per ticketed passenger. In accordance with 14 CFR Part 382, the above limit of liability does not apply for loss, damage or delay of wheelchairs or other assistive devices. United assumes no liability for high value, fragile, or perishable items carried in connection with domestic travel. For a complete list of excluded items, see the terms in our Contract of Carriage or at our website, united.com. For international travel to which the Montreal Convention applies, liability for loss, delay, or damage is limited to 1,288 SDR per passenger for baggage, whether checked or unchecked. Exchange rates are available at www.IMF.org. For international travel to which the Warsaw Convention applies, liability for loss, delay, or damage to baggage is limited to $20 per kilogram (approximately $9.07 per pound) up to $640, and $400 per passenger for unchecked baggage.