Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.

Archive thread: Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
(Snip).....
Return (YUL-EWR) flight - here's where the major issues happened, starting with when my wife's bag didn't show up in EWR. It's now more than 24 hours after yesterday's arrival and no indication of when we'll get the bag. Here are the facts:
  • We checked in for the 6:00am flight around 4:00am. Put my bag on my record and my wife's bag on her record. She is also 1K because of my MM status.
  • We printed off paper boarding passes, which I always do on any international flight.
  • No issues with Security or Customs pre-clearance. The Customs officer asked how many bags we had checked, presumably to confirm what he saw on his screen.
    • Note to those planning to take an early morning flight from YUL: Canadian Security opens at 4:00am, but US Customs doesn't open until 4:30am. If you have Global Entry, bring your card. A staff member was asking people to show it to be admitted into the separate GE line to use the kiosks.
  • I handed both boarding passes to the GA when we boarded, not watching what he did with them. We were first in line, since he called the entire Pre-boarding group list at the same time without pausing. He handed the BPs back and we boarded.
  • No in-flight issues. Checked the app bag tracking after boarding to confirm both bags were on the plane, then put the phone on airplane mode. After the jetway was retracted, the pilot announced that we were holding a few minutes to add some additional bags.
  • On arrival at EWR, my wife's BP and bag tracking info was no longer showing on my phone. I didn't think anything of it until her bag didn't arrive. Headed to Terminal C baggage claim desk.
  • The agent looked at her screen and said, "It shows your wife did not board the flight and her bag tag number isn't showing in our system." Resisting the urge to say, "then who is this woman who traveled with me?" I showed her my wife's paper BP and bag tag. She entered the info to set up a manual claim and gave us a yellow card with the case number. ....(Snip)
Follow up from this post from a 7/4 flight. Reunited with lost bag 2 days later.

Yesterday wife received $250 travel certificate. Probably as good an outcome as could be expected.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Follow up from this post from a 7/4 flight. Reunited with lost bag 2 days later.

Yesterday wife received $250 travel certificate. Probably as good an outcome as could be expected.
Not bad for 2 days! Best of all the bags were reunited!
tarheelnj likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 4 million miler; Hilton goldMarriott platinum elite
Positive outcome

I wrote earlier about four bags delayed on UA flight from Munich to Dulles on June 24. After 5 days I filed a claim for the delayed bags. Got the usual message about a response in 6-8 weeks. After 10 days I was notified that I could pick up the bags. My request to have the bags delivered was ignored so I had to drive 110 miles to pick them up.

about eight weeks after filling my claim I had heard nothing so called baggage, was told the claim was denied, bags were not lost just sitting at MUC. I pointed out my claim was for delayed bags, not lost bags. Today a check for $1500 arrived in the mail.

So persistence can pay off. Thank you UA.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I just arrived in Europe, without my bags due to a misconnect. Would UA allow me to purchase clothes since I have a meeting tomorrow morning? If so, what’s the best course of action? I am on a full fare C ticket.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dimramon
I just arrived in Europe, without my bags due to a misconnect. Would UA allow me to purchase clothes since I have a meeting tomorrow morning? If so, what’s the best course of action? I am on a full fare C ticket.
I've never heard of pushback from UA about reimbursing reasonable purchases. I've had to take advantage of this more than once.

I assume you've filed a missing baggage report. You can call the baggage resolution center if you would like to get specific authorization for purchases. If UA balks, the credit card that you used to pay for the trip might include coverage; also, if it's a business trip, your employer might reimburse you (and then your corporate travel department can take it up with UA later).

I've never bothered to get advance authorization, but my purchases tend to be business casual (< $200 for an entire outfit). If you're looking at an $800 suit, it might be worth a call. Keep your receipts, as you'll need to submit them when you request reimbursement.

The amount you paid for the ticket is irrelevant, as it should be.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
1 of 3 bags went missing on VCE-ZRH-IAD. First leg Swiss, second UA. App shows bag checked at VCE but nothing after. Reported at IAD as missing/lost, and that reference number is now showing just 'Tracing Process Continues check back later'. Does this update at all, or only when bag is actually loaded on another flight for return?

Bag seems likely to be somewhere in VCE airport still (other bags showed offloaded in ZRH) . . . do I just wait or should I call 1K desk to see if they can prompt something?

Returned home, so not urgent but there are some things in bag that if lost forever I need to replace ASAP.

Update: Bag returned late last night (~30h after my flight arrived). First I learned bag was on way was call from baggage delivery service - no text from UA that bag had been found, nothing showed on bag tracing in app, though the specific link for lost baggage tracking on United did show the bag was being sent for delivery (up to shortly before then it was still showing tracing process continues). Appears bag sat in Zurich an extra day based on supplemental baggage tag attached. Happy it returned; not too happy the various links don't really show what's going on well.

Last edited by drewguy; Oct 8, 2022 at 8:11 am
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Delayed Luggage - When is it really lost?

My wife and I were traveling VIE-BRU-EWR-JAX on Dec. 14, with 65 minute layover in BRU. BRU passport control had long slow moving line, with 3 agents then down to 2 as one went on break, and it took 40-45 minutes to get through. We got to the gate just after 10 AM and the gate has closed at 9:55AM for 10:10 AM scheduled departure.

We were rebooked BRU-ORD-JAX and agent told us that our bags will be taken off the BRU-EWR flight and loaded on the BRU-ORD flight. Our bags did not make it to ORD when we waited at baggage claim. I had an Air Tag in my wife's bag and could see that it was still in BRU. I filed missing bag claim when we landed in JAX. My wife's bag, with the Air Tag, was delivered on Dec. 16. My bag did not have an Air Tag so I cannot trace its location, and UA's bag track has no information. I called UA elite bag claim each day and the answers I've been given were: 12/16 Bag will be on UA 1314 ORD-EWR-JAX, 12/17 Bag is on UA 998 BRU-EWR, will be on UA 1314 EWR-JAX, 12/18 Bag may be in ORD so agent will send email to ORD and EWR baggage claim to search. I am now on phone for over 1 hr on hold to talk to an agent on today's storyline.

We are at our daughter's home in St. Augustine and not home, so I do not have my clothes. I have gone out to buy clothing and toiletries, since I do have Chase Sapphire Preferred that will cover $100 per day up to $500 for delayed bags.

UA's official policy is bag is considered lost after 5 days, and I am on day 5. UA will have to declare the bag lost for paperwork. When should I file for expenses vs lost bag compensation? UA will compensate up to $1500 without documentation. When and how do I involve Chase for lost baggage?

BRU is terrible to connect for EU-BRU-US with passport control. I only selected the routing because of PZ availability at booking.

Last edited by CIT85; Dec 19, 2022 at 9:19 am Reason: BRU Connection
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CIT85
... UA's official policy is bag is considered lost after 5 days, and I am on day 5. UA will have to declare the bag lost for paperwork. When should I file for expenses vs lost bag compensation? UA will compensate up to $1500 without documentation. When and how do I involve Chase for lost baggage? ....
You must file to get the $1,500 5-day delayed bag payment, there is not formal declaration by UA of "lost". Requires no receipts or itemized. If you want more, you will need to itemized and understand your will get depreciated replacement value.
Filing with Chase, need to read the specific terms of your card but you need to inform Chase of compensation UA provided.

Neither f these claims are immediate and take time to process.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 7:57 am

My delayed bag was delivered last night, full 7 days late, and sitting at Jacksonville Airport since 12/18. I had to call everyday and wait for 60+ minutes each time to talk to baggage claim, and then conference call with JAX twice to have them grab my bag and arrange for delivery. Now I can have Samiclaus beer for Christmas.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by CIT85
My delayed bag was delivered last night, full 7 days late, and sitting at Jacksonville Airport since 12/18. I had to call everyday and wait for 60+ minutes each time to talk to baggage claim, and then conference call with JAX twice to have them grab my bag and arrange for delivery. Now I can have Samiclaus beer for Christmas.
And $1500, ???
Old Dec 23, 2022, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
And $1500, ???
Nope, I only submitted a claim for clothing and toiletries I bought in the first 5 days. The process can take 6 to 8 weeks.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 12:46 am

Programs: AA Gold
I called the "Mileage Plus Premier Baggage Line" at 11:30pm central and have been on hold for 2 hours and 20 minutes when the estimated wait time was supposed to be 30 minutes. Calling on a separate number and was given a 15-20 minutes wait time and it's been 30+ minutes. At this point, I don't even know if anyone is taking calls.

Also, I was issued a $100 ETC at the ORD baggage center on the spot last time but this time in DFW, the agent said they don't issue ETCs???
Old Dec 24, 2022, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by leftysauce
I called the "Mileage Plus Premier Baggage Line" at 11:30pm central and have been on hold for 2 hours and 20 minutes when the estimated wait time was supposed to be 30 minutes. Calling on a separate number and was given a 15-20 minutes wait time and it's been 30+ minutes. At this point, I don't even know if anyone is taking calls.

Also, I was issued a $100 ETC at the ORD baggage center on the spot last time but this time in DFW, the agent said they don't issue ETCs???
depends on station. And baggage line is slammed, their call volume is directly correlated with the how disasterous the operation is running.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 1:04 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
depends on station. And baggage line is slammed, their call volume is directly correlated with the how disasterous the operation is running.
that's understandable but don't quote a 30 min wait time when i will be on hold for more than 3 hours. if it's 30 mins off that's totally fine but a 2 hours+ misestimation is unacceptable.
SPN Lifer and zombietooth like this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 1:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by leftysauce
that's understandable but don't quote a 30 min wait time when i will be on hold for more than 3 hours. if it's 30 mins off that's totally fine but a 2 hours+ misestimation is unacceptable.
I was recently listening to the conversations of a UA baggage service agent at a DL hub. From what I was hearing, it seemed like trying to estimate how many minutes it would take to deal with any given irregularity report would be more like rolling a 20-sided die than a simple function of x minutes per irregularity report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.