Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:07 am

Perhaps the "economists" working at UA think people will be willing to spend more for miles after the huge award devaluation? "They're going to be desperate and will pay anything!" In the real world, of course, devaluation means the miles are worth much less than before.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
Right now I have 2 paid trips offering 2.3, and 2 award trips offering 2.5 for RDMs. The award trips went up from the 2.3 sometime within the past two weeks. PQMs are 10.3 and 10.5

-dan
Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Just grabbed some more RDM at 2.3 cpm
One just need to get a multi-airlines / intercontinenal flight to catch that rates...
Just hoping it might go back down to the 2.1 cpm experienced until mid 2013 for such itinerary...
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I'm guessing UA will need to cut rates 20 to 30% in order to sell RDM.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Eddy421
Just grabbed some more RDM at 2.3 cpm
One just need to get a multi-airlines / intercontinenal flight to catch that rates...
Just hoping it might go back down to the 2.1 cpm experienced until mid 2013 for such itinerary...
And the purchase didn't add one cent to your PQD total?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
I am sure this has been discussed at length, but skimming through, I could not quickly find the answer. Are you still offered the option to purchase miles AFTER you check in? I am not quite sure if I want to go with it, yet.

I know it usually offers it, at the airport, but I never noticed if it will still be online. Think the prices will change?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
I'm guessing UA will need to cut rates 20 to 30% in order to sell RDM.
From .021?

I would change the word guessing to the word 'hoping' in your statement. Then perhaps your travel patterns will again make sense!

(.021 - 30% = .0147. At this level do partner international redemptions in F or C make sense with the new award chart?)
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Extra Miles Offer

Hey All,

Still very new to the site and have a question. Just booked a trip on all UA metal from SFO to BKK in mid-March. They are offering me 40,000 bonus miles for $920, this seems expensive. Will there be a better offer at an airport kiosk or should I take this offer?

Also bought a V fare and is offering me an upgrade to Global First for $4K more. Also seems strange as I have never been offered a 2 class upgrade before. Have things changed recently?

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
Hey All,

Still very new to the site and have a question. Just booked a trip on all UA metal from SFO to BKK in mid-March. They are offering me 40,000 bonus miles for $920, this seems expensive. Will there be a better offer at an airport kiosk or should I take this offer?

Also bought a V fare and is offering me an upgrade to Global First for $4K more. Also seems strange as I have never been offered a 2 class upgrade before. Have things changed recently?
There are usually ways to get miles cheaper. I would not consider anything over 2 cents per mile, unless I needed a small amount to top up an account.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
..... Just booked a trip on all UA metal from SFO to BKK in mid-March. They are offering me 40,000 bonus miles for $920, this seems expensive. Will there be a better offer at an airport kiosk or should I take this offer? .....
this is the award accelerator
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2014-a.html
at 2.3cpm this is about as good as purchasing miles from UA gets (sometime 2.1 cpm will appear)
Doubtful a better RDM offer will appears at the airport, the PQM offer might change -- better or worse.

.....Also bought a V fare and is offering me an upgrade to Global First for $4K more. Also seems strange as I have never been offered a 2 class upgrade before. Have things changed recently? ...
No recent change, this has been possible for couple years. Cash buy-ups have always been exempt from the no double upgrade policy.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
40000 RDM for 920$ is really cheap ($.023/mile). If you try to buy them directly from the Buy Miles page, they will be 2.5 to 3 times this cost.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
Hey All,

Hi,

You might want to read how other FTers value miles at redemption. This thread discusses the topic:

What are united miles worth to you?

The thread gives interesting ideas on how one can estimate the value of these miles.

I got an impression that for many people the redemption value is somewhere between 1 and 2 cpm; those who have a lot of them are at the lower bound, and those who use them often for personal Y travel (including myself) value these miles somewhere between 1.5 and 2 cpm.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
40000 RDM for 920$ is really cheap ($.023/mile). If you try to buy them directly from the Buy Miles page, they will be 2.5 to 3 times this cost.
a bit of an overstatement
Purchase Personal Miles
Miles cost US $35 per 1,000 miles plus a 7.5% excise tax
That's 3.76 cpm or 1.63 times the 2.3 cpm rate
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
From .021?

I would change the word guessing to the word 'hoping' in your statement. Then perhaps your travel patterns will again make sense!

(.021 - 30% = .0147. At this level do partner international redemptions in F or C make sense with the new award chart?)
From the current 2.3.

Guessing (not hoping). If you look at this objectively, you would assume that UA has set the effective price of award redemptions to maximize their bottom line. There are two ways to adjust effective redemption prices.... either through the price of miles or through the redemption rates. If effective redemption prices were previously optimized and UA raises the redemption rates, then they will need to lower the the price of miles in order to stay optimized. (Of course this assumes that UA management is making rationale decisions not gut reactions to buy time and avoid getting fired.)

As for me I'm covered with UA awards through 2014 and then have about 2 million Amex miles that will get me through 2015 so I won't be spending much at UA for the foreseeable future.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
2.3 cpm looks to be the current floor
Their current miles promo at 40% is equivalent to 2.26 cpm
2.1 used to be available for a while last year - we will see it if ever comes back
Eddy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.