Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat
IAH-PUS

RDM: 30,000 miles for $360 2.3 c/mile
PQM: 30,000 miles for $3,600 12.0 c/mile

Combined 14.3 c/mile
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:23 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exerda
The majority of my reservations show 2.9 + 10cpm. I have one which inexplicably is 2.6 + 7cpm (falls smack in the middle of the others date-wise, all UA metal like most of the others, etc.). I'm actually tempted as I know I'll hit spending but don't know for sure yet if I'll hit miles easily given I'm stuck at work through the end of January putting in 14+ hour days at the moment.
Don't dither too long.

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
I always struggle with this exact issue. Last year i bit on the 9.6c for 30k miles and ended up finishing at 146k so would have made it anyway. I will have no problem meeting the spending but the miles always seem to be the question mark for me.
The nature of insurance is "just in case."
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
I checked the rates for several accounts I oversee at various status levels. Here are the results, which are quite interesting:

Gold (2013 & 2014)
International award
RDM: 2.3cpm
PQM: 14cpm
Total: 16.3cpm

Gold (2013); Silver (2014)
Domestic ticket
RDM: 3.3cpm
PQM: 10cpm
Total: 13.3cpm

International Ticket
RDM: 2.6cpm
PQM: 14cpm
Total: 16.6cpm

Silver (2013 & 2014)
Domestic Ticket
RDM: 3.3cpm
PQM: 9cpm
Total: 12.3cpm

GM (2013 & 2014)
International Ticket
RDM: 2.6cpm
PQM: 8cpm
Total: 10.6cpm

GM (2013 & 2014)
Domestic Ticket
RDM: 2.9cpm
PQM: 7cpm
Total: 9.9cpm
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by 5khours
and the hated EK got screwed.

HATED??? I have been flying them for 17 years and can't remember a bad flight.....some problems of course but they are a dream to fly long haul. Can't see how anyone could "hate" EK (unless they are stuck in Y on a 15 hour flight

IMHO, the evidence suggests that UA is making a big blunder. I actually think they were doing fine on the purchased and credit card miles. But I think they were getting hosed on the miles earned for flights because everyone was redeeming these on partner F (since UA GF is such garbage these days) and unlike the card and purchased miles, they were just giveaways.
I respect your point of view and know many look at it this way but IMO the whole point of Frequent flyer programs is to reward FREQUENT FLYERS. I can't fault a company for finding ways to make more money like they now do with credit card offers, etc but IMO it's the frequent flyer who EARNS these give always. If you earn your miles only by flying, you need to fly a hell of a lot in order to earn multiple international F tickets so I can't agree the airlines are getting hosed this way. They were getting hosed by people who could buy miles for .01 From US & turning those into expensive tickets. (My $1725 LH F ticket would have only cost me $750 If I bought miles from US.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I respect your point of view and know many look at it this way but IMO the whole point of Frequent flyer programs is to reward FREQUENT FLYERS. I can't fault a company for finding ways to make more money like they now do with credit card offers, etc but IMO it's the frequent flyer who EARNS these give always. If you earn your miles only by flying, you need to fly a hell of a lot in order to earn multiple international F tickets so I can't agree the airlines are getting hosed this way. They were getting hosed by people who could buy miles for .01 From US & turning those into expensive tickets. (My $1725 LH F ticket would have only cost me $750 If I bought miles from US.
China,
Sorry I wasn't being clear. I meant hated by LH (and to a lesser extent by UA) because it's loved by the pax.

It's a long debate, but FF programs are really about rewarding loyal customers. They're mostly about price discrimination and discounting.

Also don't think it's been possible to buy US miles for a penny for a long time.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Also don't think it's been possible to buy US miles for a penny for a long time.
37 days since you could buy them for 1.1 cents...
100% share miles promo
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
China,
Sorry I wasn't being clear. I meant hated by LH (and to a lesser extent by UA) because it's loved by the pax.

It's a long debate, but FF programs are really about rewarding loyal customers. They're mostly about price discrimination and discounting.

@:-) Ahhhhhhhh. Then if that's what you meant in regards to EK, You forgot to mention Air Canada / Canada (who have been the only airline / country to actually stop any expansion by EK into its domain (which I find quite funny since AC does not even fly to DXB).

As mentioned above, US just had one of their famous penny a mile sales about a month ago. Granted, moot since leaving *A but IMHO US did a lot of damage to UA flyers over the years. US customers could no longer use their miles for LH F & it was these penny a mile sales that convinced LX to pull F awards away from ALL of us. Even with the JV I have a feeling had US not merged with AA, it would have only been a matter of time before LH also pulled F awards away from UA..................
JUST THIS "KNOW IT ALLS" OPINION
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:14 pm
RNE
Original Poster

I am Gold.
PQMs in 2013: 50,000.
PQMs so far in 2014: 0.
I am a previous buyer.

International award
12,000 or 24,000 miles
RDM: 2.3˘
PQM: 14˘

Domestic Paid
12,000 or 15,000 miles
RDM: 2.9˘
PQM: 10˘

International Paid
30,000 or 45,000
RDM: 2.3˘

Domestic Paid
3000 or 5000
RDM: 3.3˘
PQM: 10˘

Domestic Paid
20,000 or 30,000
RDM: 2.6˘
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:48 pm

Plat
PQMs in 2013: 75,000.
PQMs so far in 2014: 0.
Previous buyer.

Domestic Paid
6,000 or 8,000 miles
RDM: 3.3˘ 4.4˘
PQM: 15˘ 20˘
Total: 18.3˘ 24.4˘

Ouch.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k
2013 Plat - 2014 1k

EWR-SIN K fare

75000 PQM for $7725. @ 10.3cpm.

All seven of my current itins price out at between 10.3 and 10.6 cpm for PQM's (mix of dom/TATL and awards)
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Here's a theory for different prices...

The cpm prices we're posting are mostly in the range of 10 - 14 cpm, with a few (very few) less than 10 cpm and several that are more than 14 cpm, but I haven't been able to see a trend whether the difference is because they're domestic or international, or whether they're on paid or mileage tickets, or the status of the account holder, unless I'm missing something.

Could it be based on whether the reservation looks like a mileage run or not? For my four existing reservations (a small sample I admit) I have two reservations that look like mileage runs because they are - SFO - BOS and SFO - ICN, both 1-day turns. Those reservations give me a higher price of 16.6 and 16.3 cpm for PQM. Two other reservations are for three or four days, and give me a lower price of 12.9 cpm for PQM.

What are others seeing? Is there a difference in price depending on the length of the reservation that could lead an algorithm to charge more for something that looks like a MR?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Maybe Accelerator sales revenues were never that big to begin with so UA isn't expecting big sales and is hence pricing to make it a reality.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
What are others seeing? Is there a difference in price depending on the length of the reservation that could lead an algorithm to charge more for something that looks like a MR?
I'm seeing little difference in my offers.

LHR-MCO 7 day rtn (K and W buckets) 30000 PQM @ 10.3 cpm
ORD-SEA same day rtn (G). 21000 PQM @ 11.55 cpm (MR)
LHR-EWR 6 day rtn (K) 30000 PQM @ 10.3 cpm
EWR-SIN 2 day rtn (K) 75000 PQM @ 10.3 cpm (MR)
MCO-LHR A* o/w award (O) 18000 PQM @ 10.3 cpm
LHR-SFO UA rtn award (X and O) 18000 @ 10.3 cpm
LHR-SYD A* o/w award (O) 18000 PQM @ 1.3 cpm

All rates inclusive of initial award accelerator cost.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:36 am
RNE
Original Poster

Could it be based on whether the reservation looks like a mileage run or not?
Probably not, but I welcome your hypothesis and analytical approach. We need more than just reporting in this thread; we need analysis. So I applaud you.

I doubt mileage runs have any influence on Accelerator rates—a conclusion supported by my own data and that of Richym99—because UA has no reason to treat MRs differently. Most of the data seem to indicate that it's the flyer in question—not the routes flown nor the means paid for—that is most pertinent. And if mileage runs did make a difference, UA is more likely to offer lower prices to those who do mileage runs, because they've demonstrated their willingness to do MRs instead of buying PQMs.

That said, we do see in the data consistent—albeit usually slight—variation in price with different bookings for the same flyer. I myself am offered 10˘ or 14˘ for PQMs. Why would I buy the expensive miles? Why doesn't UA simply pick one price and offer that to me across all bookings? (In fact, it did recently. For a few days, all my bookings were at 12˘.) Whatever the reason for this seemingly senseless variation, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with mileage runs.

Again, thank you for offering a theory. I wish more posters would do so.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The cpm prices we're posting are mostly in the range of 10 - 14 cpm, with a few (very few) less than 10 cpm and several that are more than 14 cpm, but I haven't been able to see a trend whether the difference is because they're domestic or international, or whether they're on paid or mileage tickets, or the status of the account holder, unless I'm missing something.

Could it be based on whether the reservation looks like a mileage run or not? For my four existing reservations (a small sample I admit) I have two reservations that look like mileage runs because they are - SFO - BOS and SFO - ICN, both 1-day turns. Those reservations give me a higher price of 16.6 and 16.3 cpm for PQM. Two other reservations are for three or four days, and give me a lower price of 12.9 cpm for PQM.

I have 2 reservations on the books, a Transcon and a IAD-MEX flight. Both are quoting 10cpm, and don't offer anything less that 12000 miles for purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.