Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by jmd001
Regarding the "Chase Spending" shown on the MP Premier Status page (with respect to PQD waiver for Plat and below), how soon after the close of a card's billing period should that month's spend be included in the number shown on the status page?
I was in a similar situation and via monitoring the MyStatus website I found, at least for me, that my current totals were swept up once a week. For about 4 weeks I would log on every day and check the totals. I found that I there would be updated totals every Thursday morning. Once I passed 25K spend it took about 2 days for my status to change to Platinum. Of course, once I was granted that status, the site no long shows my PQD Waiver Spend, as it can not be used to get 1K Status.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drowelf
...I found that I there would be updated (spend) totals every Thursday morning. ....
Thanks! Exactly the insight I was looking for. Will check tomorrow AM, and see what it says.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Help me with this PQD scenario.

Ignore the title - typo. Mods, can it be changed to "Help me with this PQD scenario" or similar?

I need some thoughts from the experts on this scenario. I'm cutting it close with PQD this year because I've flown a lot on non-016 tickets. Here's the situation:

Currently, with my two booked trips, I should clear my PQD requirement by only about $8. The problem is that I want to change my last flight of the year for an earlier return home. I'd prefer to pay the change fee and lock something in rather than wait for SDC because I'm trying to make plans for the evening of my return and don't want to leave it to chance. In the most unlikely scenario (for me anyway!), the cost of the fight I want to change to is significantly less than the one I have booked...about $150. If I try to change it to a biz fare on the new flight, it's still $18 cheaper.

As I understand it, change fees don't apply toward PQD, so in either case I'd drop below my PQD requirement.

The only options I can think of:
1. Wait. It's probably likely the fare increases at some point and the problem goes away. But I'd prefer not to wait or find that the fare goes up by $300 instead.
2. Upfare to a higher price than the P fare. I can't seem to force the web site to show anything other than lowest fare by cabin class, even when I input specific fare classes. (ex: I put in Y, B and it still shows my an L fare). I believe the add-on fare cost would count as PQD. Maybe I can call UA to do this?
3. Upgrade my earlier trip. This is available but it's expensive, and then I'd have to pay two $200 change fees. Overall, not worth the expense.

Any flaws in my logic around PQD? Any other options that I'm not thinking of? Any other way, besides booking another flight, to get ~$10-$20 of PQD to offset the $18 loss?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You don’t typically need to pay a change fee to upfare an existing trip. You definitely don’t when going from economy to business/first. Just call and the agent will waive the fee under GG BUYUP.

If you want to buy up to a higher fare class while changing your flight, you can definitely do that on the phone too.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:14 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
That really is an oddball problem. Interesting, though!

I think in this scenario I'd call in and ask about upfaring to a higher fare class. Get a good agent, explain the situation, and make it clear that (odd though it sounds) you want to change flights and make absolutely sure that the fare doesn't go down. And then have the agent do it if -- and only if -- they can confirm that they understand the situation and your fare will not go down with the change. And document the change thoroughly so that you have recourse if something goes wonky with your PQD.

The big irony here would be that you'd probably end up in economy on a Q fare or something, because the front cabin P fare is too cheap. You could ask about Z, but usually the jump from P to Z is pretty big.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
Currently, with my two booked trips, I should clear my PQD requirement by only about $8. The problem is that I want to change my last flight of the year for an earlier return home. I'd prefer to pay the change fee and lock something in rather than wait for SDC because I'm trying to make plans for the evening of my return and don't want to leave it to chance. In the most unlikely scenario (for me anyway!), the cost of the fight I want to change to is significantly less than the one I have booked...about $150. If I try to change it to a biz fare on the new flight, it's still $18 cheaper.
What are the cities and dates of travel -- preferably outbound and return, in case it's fared as a round trip, and current and preferred dates -- and what fare are you booked on now? It is possible that the same fare is available on the other date, but that it's not the cheapest fare so UA is showing you other options. It's also possible that there's a day-of-week component or peak travel day surcharge that's driving the fare, in which case you will likely need a more expensive fare.

It should be possible to do on the phone with a competent agent, but it's much better to have a specific plan in place when calling -- "I want to change to the 'Q' class fare on Tuesday" or whatever. If you're not asked for the change fee plus the fare difference, you know something's wrong.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
2. Upfare to a higher price than the P fare. I can't seem to force the web site to show anything other than lowest fare by cabin class, even when I input specific fare classes. (ex: I put in Y, B and it still shows my an L fare). I believe the add-on fare cost would count as PQD. Maybe I can call UA to do this?
You can definitely call UA to do something like this. The most straightforward approach would be to keep your original fare, as it's likely to still be valid on your new travel date. A more desirable approach would be to change to the forward cabin, but this leads to the problem that, depending on the actual basis involved, it can be difficult to get an agent to ticket "a higher P fare". You can see what a fare in Z class would cost, but otherwise I'm not sure that you can request a specific fare basis as opposed to booking code.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by QBK
That really is an oddball problem. Interesting, though!

I think in this scenario I'd call in and ask about upfaring to a higher fare class. Get a good agent, explain the situation, and make it clear that (odd though it sounds) you want to change flights and make absolutely sure that the fare doesn't go down. And then have the agent do it if -- and only if -- they can confirm that they understand the situation and your fare will not go down with the change. And document the change thoroughly so that you have recourse if something goes wonky with your PQD.

The big irony here would be that you'd probably end up in economy on a Q fare or something, because the front cabin P fare is too cheap. You could ask about Z, but usually the jump from P to Z is pretty big.
That's kind of what I'm thinking is the best course of action. Although I may wait until Monday to see if the fare just goes up a little first. I don't have a lot of faith in an agent getting this right.

Originally Posted by jsloan
What are the cities and dates of travel -- preferably outbound and return, in case it's fared as a round trip, and current and preferred dates -- and what fare are you booked on now? It is possible that the same fare is available on the other date, but that it's not the cheapest fare so UA is showing you other options. It's also possible that there's a day-of-week component or peak travel day surcharge that's driving the fare, in which case you will likely need a more expensive fare.

It should be possible to do on the phone with a competent agent, but it's much better to have a specific plan in place when calling -- "I want to change to the 'Q' class fare on Tuesday" or whatever. If you're not asked for the change fee plus the fare difference, you know something's wrong.
I did look at booking the new flight as a new one, just to get some of that information. I need to dig more into specific fare codes though I think. I agree it's best to have a plan before calling and that's kind of what I'm struggling with, since I've never really had a situation like this before where UA just wants to refund me.

12/28: ORD-PTY (via IAH) - D fare class
12/31: PTY-ORD (via IAH) - W fare class

I tried selecting a few higher fares (W, V, Q, etc.) in the search and it still just returns the lowest fare class, which is annoying. Does that functionality not work or am I using it wrong?

I want to switch the return to the 1:50 am departure (followed by a nap ), still on 12/31, since I've been offered a very nice NYE opportunity here in Chicago, and my original flight gets in too late on the 31st. I appreciate any additional thoughts you have on this!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by findark
You can definitely call UA to do something like this. The most straightforward approach would be to keep your original fare, as it's likely to still be valid on your new travel date. A more desirable approach would be to change to the forward cabin, but this leads to the problem that, depending on the actual basis involved, it can be difficult to get an agent to ticket "a higher P fare". You can see what a fare in Z class would cost, but otherwise I'm not sure that you can request a specific fare basis as opposed to booking code.
Ok, thanks.

One other question just to confirm. My other option is to upgrade a segment on DEN-ORD, my other trip to cover the lost PQD. That would allow me to change to a P fare on the PTY-ORD flight and get the $18 refund. From what I've read here, it seems like the online upgrade option will count toward PQD. Correct? It looks like that cost is about $180, so I'd net about +160 PQD using that option which isn't bad considering I get into F/J on both trips for those segments. This may actually be the best option if I understand it correctly.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by getagb
You don’t typically need to pay a change fee to upfare an existing trip. You definitely don’t when going from economy to business/first. Just call and the agent will waive the fee under GG BUYUP. ....
It is my understanding that GG BUYUP only applies if you are not changing flights. I have tried upfaring to a different flight and have been refused.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is my understanding that GG BUYUP only applies if you are not changing flights. I have tried upfaring to a different flight and have been refused.
My experience as well. However, I could do that on my other trip DEN-ORD (not the one I want to change the flight). That would allow me to only pay the change fee on the PTY-ORD and still cover my PQD.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's kind of what I'm thinking is the best course of action. Although I may wait until Monday to see if the fare just goes up a little first. I don't have a lot of faith in an agent getting this right.

I did look at booking the new flight as a new one, just to get some of that information. I need to dig more into specific fare codes though I think. I agree it's best to have a plan before calling and that's kind of what I'm struggling with, since I've never really had a situation like this before where UA just wants to refund me.

12/28: ORD-PTY (via IAH) - D fare class
12/31: PTY-ORD (via IAH) - W fare class

I tried selecting a few higher fares (W, V, Q, etc.) in the search and it still just returns the lowest fare class, which is annoying. Does that functionality not work or am I using it wrong?

I want to switch the return to the 1:50 am departure (followed by a nap ), still on 12/31, since I've been offered a very nice NYE opportunity here in Chicago, and my original flight gets in too late on the 31st. I appreciate any additional thoughts you have on this!
The search typically returns the lowest-priced fare (from any bucket) in one column, the lowest-priced of the 'requested' buckets in another, and Business / F in a third.

edit: screenshots—

Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
The search typically returns the lowest-priced fare (from any bucket) in one column, the lowest-priced of the 'requested' buckets in another, and Business / F in a third.
I think that's how it works for booking new flights, but when I do a change, I don't get the different columns like in a new search.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
The change flight process does not work that way. You select the cabin before searching and there is no option to set a preferred fare class.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that's how it works for booking new flights, but when I do a change, I don't get the different columns like in a new search.
Ah, misinterpeted your question. Yes requesting the fare class while changing flights doesn't work well.

edit: I suspect as you originally said that it is just ignored.

When first trying to change flights it shows a box for fare preference, but after searching and getting nonsensical results, going 'back' to the search all of that disappears.

Last edited by fumje; Dec 9, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.