Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by cfischer
if you upfare before check-in and the ticket re-iusses into e.g. P and shows the new fare paid then you get PQD for the full amount. If you upgrade @ OLCI via TOD then you don't get PQD.
Our tickets tomorrow are now listed as R and the receipt says

Tue, 25MAR14 UA0132 R WASHINGTON, DC
(IAD - DULLES) 6:15 PM MUNICH, GERMANY
(MUC) 7:40 AM (26MAR)

Additional Charges: Sat., Mar. 22, 2014/Visa XXX was charged 550.00 USD for the following: MileagePlus BusinessFirst Upgrade Fee / EDD 01629294XXXXXX
Sat., Mar. 22, 2014/Visa XXXwas charged 550.00 USD for the following: MileagePlus BusinessFirst Upgrade Fee / EDD 01629294XXXXXX

Perhaps I am uninformed but I assumed that since it shows a new fare class on an 016 stock that it was PQD
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Our tickets tomorrow are now listed as R and the receipt says
Perhaps I am uninformed but I assumed that since it shows a new fare class on an 016 stock that it was PQD
I doubt your upgrade fee with receive PQD credit. R is an upgrade fare class and tickets in R based on the fare class of the underlying original fare class. P would have been good news, R is not good news for PQD credit.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sorry, no chance. You earn PQDs on base fare. That's not base fare, that's an upgrade fee.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:48 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, no chance. You earn PQDs on base fare. That's not base fare, that's an upgrade fee.
Exactly. For whatever reason, UA decided that those fees don't count toward PQD--a baffling decision, but one UA made and we're living with--and thus the OP should be ready for a disappointment when the PQDs post.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by exerda
Exactly. For whatever reason, UA decided that those fees don't count toward PQD--a baffling decision, but one UA made and we're living with--and thus the OP should be ready for a disappointment when the PQDs post.
How would anyone know in the ticket process that is is not the Base fare for R class? It gives 016 stock number for the payment. That tells the customer its a "ticket" Please provide a reference without consulting the oracles, sacrificing a sheep or using a secret magic decoder ring.

Where is it on the website that it is not the base fare for R class. ? IE that is not an upgrade to another base fare?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
In the simplest form -- the 016 number quoted is not a TICKET number (or "ticket stock") it's a receipt number for a miscellaneous debit (the upgrade fee), so there is no actual "fare" difference -- it's a "charge" like a bag fee that doesn't affect the value of the "fare" paid for the ticket.

United labels it as an EDD (Electronic Debit Document?), though I believe the more common term among IATA members is EMD (Electronic Miscellaneous Document).

Section 6.4 (Standard Traffic Documents -> Electronic Miscellaneous Document) in the IATA Billing and Settlement Plan guide provides a bit more definition:

The EMD is a method of documenting the sale and tracking the usage of charges (such as residual value, miscellaneous or excess baggage charges) without the issuance of a paper value document. Implementation of the EMD is subject to system development by the GDS and airlines and the plan is to have 100% EMD by the end of 2013 in all BSPs.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
New RPU/GPU Deposit?

I crossed over 75K a week ago and the flight has been posted for over 5 days. I have INTL address since 1/1/2014 so PQD should not apply. Usually the RPU shows up the day after the post of qualifying flight. However, 5+ days has passed but I still have not seen two additional RPU expiring 1/2016. Is it normal this year?

Has anyone received RPU/GPU this year, especially those with INTL profile address?

Thanks,
cloudybw
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exerda
It actually makes perfect sense once you look at this from UA's perspective: They are aiming to incent the purchase of tickets. So that is what qualifies. They assume that once you've bought the ticket, the ancillary revenue (upgrades, change fees, baggage fees, etc.) will follow automatically, regardless of PQD incentive. So that does not qualify.

The only exception to this structure is E+, and that's meaningless because E+ is already free to all elites, except that Silvers may now be incented to pay up at purchase for something they would otherwise get for free at T-24.

How would anyone know in the ticket process that is is not the Base fare for R class? It gives 016 stock number for the payment. That tells the customer its a "ticket" Please provide a reference without consulting the oracles, sacrificing a sheep or using a secret magic decoder ring.
I'm not defending UA, they do a horrible job of defining their rules. But these are the rules as we have come to know them. They are explained, for example, in the wiki at the top of this page.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It actually makes perfect sense once you look at this from UA's perspective: They are aiming to incent the purchase of tickets. So that is what qualifies. They assume that once you've bought the ticket, the ancillary revenue (upgrades, change fees, baggage fees, etc.) will follow automatically, regardless of PQD incentive. So that does not qualify.

The only exception to this structure is E+, and that's meaningless because E+ is already free to all elites, except that Silvers may now be incented to pay up at purchase for something they would otherwise get for free at T-24.

I'm not defending UA, they do a horrible job of defining their rules. But these are the rules as we have come to know them. They are explained, for example, in the wiki at the top of this page.
I have no problem that a skilled experienced airline attorney would know the answer. But that is is not the issue. The question is why UA kicks frequent flyer in the face by not giving Point of sale information. Just put in the transaction process NO PQD for this payment. That would be the honest intelligent efficient transparent thing to do.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
How would anyone know in the ticket process that is is not the Base fare for R class? ....
One hint is UA does not list R as a mileage earning fare

Earn Miles > United Airlines
Originally Posted by cloudybw
I crossed over 75K a week ago and the flight has been posted for over 5 days. I have INTL address since 1/1/2014 so PQD should not apply. Usually the RPU shows up the day after the post of qualifying flight. However, 5+ days has passed but I still have not seen two additional RPU expiring 1/2016. Is it normal this year?

Has anyone received RPU/GPU this year, especially those with INTL profile address?

Thanks,
cloudybw
been reports UA is having system problem and it may be April before the RPUs will post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22582227-post247.html
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
PQD changes after booking

This is awesome. Before booking on the website:

Fare: $3056
Tax: $111

After booking, the receipt changes it to:

Fare: $2200
Tax: 967
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by FormerAmtrakTraveler

Is this a code share flight? Specifics?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:53 pm

This has been reported many times, the website includes somethings that are taxes (such as Fed Excise Tax) in the Fare portion and then in receipt moves it to taxes. In general neither of the summary reports are reliable and you need to specifically look at the fare breakdown is easily seen in the receipt.

Post the fare breakout (not the simple summaries) and this can be easily explained.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-web-site.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html
and more
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This has been reported many times, the website includes somethings that are taxes (such as Fed Excise Tax) in the Fare portion and then in receipt moves it to taxes. In general neither of the summary reports are reliable and you need to specifically look at the fare breakdown is easily seen in the receipt.
Ok I haven't followed this closely and haven't seen it until this booking (out of ~10). Not cool.

Not codeshare. Straight UA on UA metal.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Ok I haven't followed this closely and haven't seen it until this booking (out of ~10). Not cool.

Not codeshare. Straight UA on UA metal.
what's the problem here ... sounds totally legit to me. No effect on PQD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.