Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by exerda
OTOH, I sure hope UA doesn't raise to $15k next year for 1K. I have paid for F and international C nearly every trip this year, and am still only at 11cpm. What does UA want me to do?
Uh, spend even more money.

David
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by findark
The answer is however much NH credits to UA for the segment of the ticket, which is to say "not easily". Roughly 320 is allocated to PNH-ORD, and it's usually approximately a split by actual mileage, but I'm not sure who would collect the stopover fee. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a good way to figure that out, other than "between 0 and 320".

Good deal though!
Deal is gone. Self dump corrected by NH.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
Wish UA would let you roll some over. I'm at $14k so far this year. No hope of making GS (LOL), but I'm also obviously not going to stop flying just because I have met my benchmarks.

OTOH, I sure hope UA doesn't raise to $15k next year for 1K. I have paid for F and international C nearly every trip this year, and am still only at 11cpm. What does UA want me to do?
If I were in your shoes, I'd spend the rest of the year building status on AA or DL.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: Most of them
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Go to your account details -- where the flight mileage posting is recorded, the individual segments PQDs are shown. But no totals.

Also believe the phone agents can tell you.

Many FT keep flight spreadsheets but that level of tracking may be unique to FTers.

There was a post awhile ago about a hack to the HTML code to reveal the total but no straightforward way to see the totals about $12,000.
That is what I do..cut and paste to excel and the sums are easy.

42kPQD so far and 200k PQM... Not worried about renewing GS this year....
Old Aug 13, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
When I click on "MileagePlus activity since last statement" under Account Summary it shows me the totals since Jan 1st for PQM, PQS and PQD.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Just booked a P fare for February, SFO-YVR-HKG-TPE-SFO. Three of the 4 segments are P fares and the HKG-TPE is J fare.

I was charged just over $4300.

On the eTicket email, it breaks down the fare and fees and has this summary:

The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 4,214.00 USD

The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 98.26 USD
But in the MileagePlus Accrual Details section of the eTicket email, it lists the RDMs, PQMs, PQS and PQD for each segment and totals them up.

The PQD total is 4536, which is $200 more than what I paid for the entire ticket.

Has anyone seen this kind of discrepancy?

Based on the other ticket I've purchased for 2017, I need 27000 PQMs and 4100 PQDs to hit Gold.

So it raises a concern that they will revise that PQD figure down but perhaps revise down below the number I would need.

The PQMs are 27,784, which should be fine but is actually less than what I got on Web Flyer's milage calculator.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
I was charged just over $4300.

On the eTicket email, it breaks down the fare and fees and has this summary:

But in the MileagePlus Accrual Details section of the eTicket email, it lists the RDMs, PQMs, PQS and PQD for each segment and totals them up.

The PQD total is 4536, which is $200 more than what I paid for the entire ticket.

Has anyone seen this kind of discrepancy? ...
Yes
The pre-flight numbers have displayed many errors - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...itinerary.html

For now, would base my planning on the lower, actual fare numbers.

Have have you had a itin changes? That is one factor the confuses the pre-flight estimates.

There have been an occasional reports of higher totals actually posting.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
No I just booked it, never changed anything.

Thanks, I'll read that thread to see what people have gone through.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Bought an itinerary tonight and upfared SAN-EWR. While it shows an A fare class now, it still shows old PQD. I would think since it's not in a non-qualifying fare bucket (like RN or ZN), it should count...thoughts? Upfare was purchased at the pop-up after itinerary was booked.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Bought an itinerary tonight and upfared SAN-EWR. While it shows an A fare class now, it still shows old PQD. I would think since it's not in a non-qualifying fare bucket (like RN or ZN), it should count...thoughts? Upfare was purchased at the pop-up after itinerary was booked.
At-booking and OLCI upgrade offers are fee-based and do not earn PQD. They seem to book into A if available and hence do earn PQM/PQS.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
At-booking and OLCI upgrade offers are fee-based and do not earn PQD.
Yes, if you look at the e-ticket receipt it will list a $99 (or whatever) "upgrade fee." It would show "Add Collect" if this were an upfare.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
1K status for overseas residents without PQD - possible?

Subj. Does exclusion for PQD applies for overseas residents for 1K as well? Website is not clear about it.

Anyone here got 1K status while living overseas AND not fulfilling PQD requirements?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes. It's only the credit card waiver that doesn't apply for 1K.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:44 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
It does apply! Here, I'm getting 1K, I live overseas, and I haven't met the PQD requirements.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by invisible
Subj. Does exclusion for PQD applies for overseas residents for 1K as well? Website is not clear about it.

Anyone here got 1K status while living overseas AND not fulfilling PQD requirements?
Me. Crossed the 100k threshold last month but have definitely not spent $12k in PQD. Status updated fine; however, it took several e-mail and phone exchanges with the MPSC to have the GPUs/RPUs finally credited to my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.