Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Delta copies UA

I don't see this mentioned elsewhere. Delta is limiting Amex spend waiver to Plat and below. Waiver currently can get one to DM (w/ the required 125K mileage). Now, DM will require the $15k Delta spend. Couple of posters are annoyed DL is copying UA Quote from the Boarding area's Rene's Points: "Delta has always been a leader in the loyalty space ahead of the other major airlines and for them to closely copy anything ugly United does just blows my mind".

Hopefully UA doesn't reciprocate by jacking the 1K requirement to $15K because "That's what our customers demand"...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...then-read.html

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 19, 2017 at 11:11 am Reason: added mileage requirement to clarify
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I don't see this mentioned elsewhere. Delta is limiting Amex spend waiver to Plat and below. Waiver currently can get one to DM. Now, DM will require the $15k Delta spend. Couple of posters are annoyed DL is copying UA Quote from the blogger: "Delta has always been a leader in the loyalty space ahead of the other major airlines and for them to closely copy anything ugly United does just blows my mind".

Hopefully UA doesn't reciprocate by jacking the 1K requirement to $15K because "That's what our customers demand"...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...then-read.html
DL still has a 125k qualifying requirement for Diamond and the $15k spend has been that way for a couple of years. Nothing has changed for DL except that the waiver of the $15k DL spend in exchange for $25k spend on their affiliated Amex card to earn Diamond seems to be ging away. I don't see UA changing anything because of this. DL is simply copying UA in not allowing a CC spend waiver to apply for its top tier.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jul 19, 2017 at 11:22 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Just want to confirm that award accelerator purchased will not count toward PQD. My husband will have the PQM this year and be just short of the PQD for silver
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Just want to confirm that award accelerator purchased will not count toward PQD. ....
Confirmed, it does not.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Thank you!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
I always buy my tickets on ua.com but considering purchasing a ticket to Australia from a corporate travel agency (AMEX). Will I get PQDs for the United flights? Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I always buy my tickets on ua.com but considering purchasing a ticket to Australia from a corporate travel agency (AMEX). Will I get PQDs for the United flights? Thanks!
That depends n how they are ticketed. What is your proposed itinerary? If the ticket ends up being issued as an 016 (UA) issued ticket then you should get PQD. But how it is issued depends on which carrier operates which segments.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That depends n how they are ticketed. What is your proposed itinerary? If the ticket ends up being issued as an 016 (UA) issued ticket then you should get PQD. But how it is issued depends on which carrier operates which segments.
Most segments operated by UA except for maybe a short one on Qantas, jetstar or Air New Zealand. Flying into MEL and return from BNE.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA flights will get PQD regardless of ticket stock. Other partner flights will only get PQD if on 016 tickets.

However, bulk fares will not get PQD, and I'm not aware of any way to tell in advance whether or not AMEX will sell a bulk ticket.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Most segments operated by UA except for maybe a short one on Qantas, jetstar or Air New Zealand. Flying into MEL and return from BNE.
Presuming you have longhaul flights on this itinerary and that those flights are on UA the "Most significant carrier" (MSC) rule should mean that it the ticket gets issued as a UA ticket. That means yu should get the appropriate UA PQD. You should also have 24 hours after ticketing to cancel/refund. So, after issuing the tickets check to be sure that the ticket numbers start with "016".

Some details on the MSC rule can be found here. There are a lot of things listed on that page and it relates mainly to baggage. But the MSC operating the outbound portion of the journey is the one that the ticket will be issued by.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:30 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Presuming you have longhaul flights on this itinerary and that those flights are on UA the "Most significant carrier" (MSC) rule should mean that it the ticket gets issued as a UA ticket. That means yu should get the appropriate UA PQD. You should also have 24 hours after ticketing to cancel/refund. So, after issuing the tickets check to be sure that the ticket numbers start with "016".

Some details on the MSC rule can be found here. There are a lot of things listed on that page and it relates mainly to baggage. But the MSC operating the outbound portion of the journey is the one that the ticket will be issued by.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA flights will get PQD regardless of ticket stock. Other partner flights will only get PQD if on 016 tickets.

However, bulk fares will not get PQD, and I'm not aware of any way to tell in advance whether or not AMEX will sell a bulk ticket.
And a quick add here: If not bulk, impossible to know before buying, and until it posts, really, how much of the fare will be allocated to the UA flights (thus, earn PQD) vs. the OAL which will not. Even the amounts on the e-ticket receipt can be displayed incorrectly. And the amounts those short flights earn can vary wildly....one could be surprised to find much more value allocated to a short hop on a partner carrier vs. the long flights.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
And a quick add here: If not bulk, impossible to know before buying, and until it posts, really, how much of the fare will be allocated to the UA flights (thus, earn PQD) vs. the OAL which will not. Even the amounts on the e-ticket receipt can be displayed incorrectly. And the amounts those short flights earn can vary wildly....one could be surprised to find much more value allocated to a short hop on a partner carrier vs. the long flights.
if you check on united.com it might how. Did that for me recently.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
if you check on united.com it might how. Did that for me recently.
It typically shows the PQD on the United-operated segments, and "not eligible" or similar for partner segments that won't earn. The issue is how it splits.....my experience is the amount on the e-ticket receipt, or UA.com, can a) change from time to time, and b) is an estimate which is subject to change until the flights post. I'm not sure how it is calculated, and how UA.com interprets the info. to display, but even on all UA itineraries, I've seen just about everything possible - the total being the same with the individual segments changing, segments going from a given amount to "inelgiible" then back to what it was before (or something different). I've only had one itinerary with a non-* partner included. But a few mixed itineraries with 016 tickets, so, for example, a fluctuation between what a UA vs. LH segment earns on a UA connecting to LH doesn't really matter, since it all adds up to the same in the end. BUt if that 'estimated' split on the segments is incorrect, and in the end, allocates less to the UA segment vs. non-*, OAL partner, it could screw up the earnings that one thinks they will get. Maybe it is correct, but I'm saying one shouldn't necessarily assume that it will.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Chase Spend

Regarding the "Chase Spending" shown on the MP Premier Status page (with respect to PQD waiver for Plat and below), how soon after the close of a card's billing period should that month's spend be included in the number shown on the status page?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.