Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfsouthbay
Thank you both! I bought the ticket yesterday and did double check to see that the ticket has been ticketed. I did send an additional receipt, but the information is still missing. No worries, I figure it would still credit correctly, but since this is the first time buying a 016 ticket with travel originating in Canada, I thought I'd ask. Really appreciate it.
No problem. What I'd do, in your situation, is try to make the same booking again, and look for the PQD breakdown in the search results if you're able to find the same fare. Then, I'd note that (I keep a spreadsheet to make sure my earnings credit, but any kind of note will do) and make sure it matches up when it credits.

It'll probably be fine, but if it credits oddly, you'll be glad you had something to compare it against.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
No problem. What I'd do, in your situation, is try to make the same booking again, and look for the PQD breakdown in the search results if you're able to find the same fare. Then, I'd note that (I keep a spreadsheet to make sure my earnings credit, but any kind of note will do) and make sure it matches up when it credits.

It'll probably be fine, but if it credits oddly, you'll be glad you had something to compare it against.
Just tried it and it didn't show... haha.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfsouthbay
Just tried it and it didn't show... haha.
The PQD and PQM should appear if you click the Details link for the fare you're interested in. It's loaded in slightly after the fact, so it might take a moment to populate, but it should appear.

I don't know what dates or flights you're looking at, but I tried several different city pairs, in various browsers, and it always showed for me.

There's an option in the advanced search called "Show earnings in search results." I don't know what it does, because I've never not seen the earnings populate, but it's worth a try.

You can also get a pretty good estimate from matrix.itasoftware.com . Put in your flight information, make sure you set the currency to USD, and click through. Your total PQD will be approximately the same as the fare that's listed, plus any lines that are called out as a fuel surcharge (YQ or YR).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
The PQD and PQM should appear if you click the Details link for the fare you're interested in. It's loaded in slightly after the fact, so it might take a moment to populate, but it should appear.

I don't know what dates or flights you're looking at, but I tried several different city pairs, in various browsers, and it always showed for me.

There's an option in the advanced search called "Show earnings in search results." I don't know what it does, because I've never not seen the earnings populate, but it's worth a try.

You can also get a pretty good estimate from matrix.itasoftware.com . Put in your flight information, make sure you set the currency to USD, and click through. Your total PQD will be approximately the same as the fare that's listed, plus any lines that are called out as a fuel surcharge (YQ or YR).
Thank you - I found the "show earnings" option and it showed in the search result! What's weird is that it used to show for me automatically but this time it didn't. Well, at least I know how to troubleshoot in the future. Thank you!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:23 am

Earn PQD through OTA

Is it possible to earn PQD through online travel agencies like kayak or orbitz, or it that only possible through the United website? I'm looking to travel on Air Canada and still earn PQDs.

United FAQ states the following:

"No matter where you purchase your ticket, flights operated by United and United Express are eligible for PQD, even when marketed by another airline or issued on another airline’s ticket.

When flying with Star Alliance and MileagePlus partner airlines, you will earn PQD as long as the ticket is issued by United (ticket number starting with "016").

All tickets issued through United channels, such as united.com, are issued as United tickets (ticket number starting with "016"). As always, be sure to include your MileagePlus number in your reservation."

Is this saying that no matter where I buy the ticket, as long as it starts with 016, it will earn PQD? It seems like thats the case but don't want to get screwed by wording.

Last edited by ayee007; Jun 14, 2018 at 1:35 am
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Tickets that begin with 016 are United-issued ticket and will earn PQD. Though I would be surprised if an OTA issues a ticket with only Air Canada flights on 016 ticket stock, at least systematically.

When dealing with OTA, also be concerned about bulk tickets, which come with their own earning structure, as well as different terms.
gene2632 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Zero issues earning with OTA tickets if the ticket is 016. That wont happen if your flights are solely on Air Canada unless they have United flight numbers.

Book through an OTA that allows 24 hour cancellation - check your ticket after its issued - if its not to your liking, just cancel.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ayee007
Is it possible to earn PQD through online travel agencies like kayak or orbitz, or it that only possible through the United website? I'm looking to travel on Air Canada and still earn PQDs.
Is this saying that no matter where I buy the ticket, as long as it starts with 016, it will earn PQD? It seems like thats the case but don't want to get screwed by wording.
if it’s an 016 ticket, you’ll earn PQD.

If you’re trying to get an OTA to ticket an all AC itinerary on UA stock, that isn’t going to happen (unless perhaps they’re all booked as UA codeshares, not sure how that works).

Agencies could theoretically book it that way, I beleive, but IATA guidelines have specific protocols for what stock to use based on itineraries. If this is domestic or transborder, I think typically it has to be booked on first carrier stock - if it’s TATL/TPAC, it goes on the stock of the [first] overwater carrier. And there are penalties from the carriers for not following protocol.especially if booking an all OAL itinerary on their own stock. Particularly since most agencies, at least the big ones, use the merchant account of the issuing ticket carrier for card charges, which mean they pay the card processing fees. You can imagine why United doesn’t want to pay this if you are on an all AC itinerary.

On the the other hand, UA could also probably book this themselves and it would have to go on 016 stock. Try doing your search, even if this is a domestic Canada trip, on UA.com and see if the flights you want come up. If not, can always call and see if an agent can do it.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Though I would be surprised if an OTA issues a ticket with only Air Canada flights on 016 ticket stock, at least systematically.
I would go farther than that, and say that if OP buys an all AC itinerary through an OTA, or an itinerary where the first flight is AC, it's going to ticket on AC stock, and there will be no PQDs.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:03 pm

i've booked an all AC operated flight on United before but orbitz has the exact same flight for $200 less...I'd like to earn PQD and not have to pay an extra $200 if possible.

if i book on orbitz, will i be able to see right away if the ticket number starts with 016?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i've booked an all AC operated flight on United before but orbitz has the exact same flight for $200 less...I'd like to earn PQD and not have to pay an extra $200 if possible.

if i book on orbitz, will i be able to see right away if the ticket number starts with 016?
Are there UA flight numbers when it's booked with Orbitz? Because, if not, there's no way it'll be a 016 ticket.

You should be able to retrieve the ticket number from either Orbitz or United.com as soon as it tickets. However, you would need to check with Orbitz about any cancellation fees for this itinerary. United's 24-hour free cancellation is only applicable for tickets booked directly with them. OTAs are allowed to set their own rules.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:26 pm

yes the flight number listed is UA8328 (operated by air canada). i will check with orbitz on their cancellation policy. if i book through orbitz with my FF number, will it show up immediately in the reservations section on the UA app?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes the flight number listed is UA8328 (operated by air canada). i will check with orbitz on their cancellation policy. if i book through orbitz with my FF number, will it show up immediately in the reservations section on the UA app?
If your FF# is provided, it will likely show up immediately. If it doesn't, you can always search for it with your name and the UA confirmation number, which you should be able to get from Orbitz.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: 1K
Yes, it should. When I make itineraries through SABRE I can see the reservation on the UA app before I even ticket it.

I'm not familiar with Orbitz, but surely there is a way to see who the ticketing carrier is before you hit "Purchase". In order for them to give you a price, they would have had to pick a ticketing carrier.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hookthem
I'm not familiar with Orbitz, but surely there is a way to see who the ticketing carrier is before you hit "Purchase". In order for them to give you a price, they would have had to pick a ticketing carrier.
I don't think there is. It's not information that people usually care about (or even think about).

And there are plenty of fares that can be booked on a variety of ticket stock. They need to have selected a fare to show a price, but I don't know that they need to have selected a ticketing carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.