Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by raccah
When this happens to me I call United and if indeed UR's system booked a bulk ticket or too low a class to earn status, I cancel the ticket (within 24 hours)
yeah the exact response from the MP agent was "its really weird that its not on your receipt, but its definitely PQD eligible"... so I'll have to trust I'm guessing lol
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by raccah
When this happens to me I call United and if indeed UR's system booked a bulk ticket or too low a class to earn status, I cancel the ticket (within 24 hours)
Does Chase UR issue bulk tickets? I was under the impression they don't, as it matches the price from the website. But I don't book too many of these, so it'd be nice to hear from someone who's more familiar.

Booking tickets on Concur / Chase UR, I've had the PQD not show up on the receipt or in the mobile app, but it shows up on the website when you click "manage flights". I've never not gotten PQD for tickets booked via Concur/Chase UR.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Does Chase UR issue bulk tickets? I was under the impression they don't, as it matches the price from the website. But I don't book too many of these, so it'd be nice to hear from someone who's more familiar.
It has been known to happen. They will sell a bulk ticket at market price and then pocket the difference.

If the agent sees a normal PQD-earning fare, I think you're good. I've had weird things happen with the receipt before and still earned.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
United.com - *A partners ineligible for PQD if not on 016 ticket stock?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is a change but so far in 2018 I am getting PQM and bonuses for *A flights, but no PQD. Only getting PQD on United metal on 016 ticket stock.

Is this different from prior years? I thought I always got PQD's for *A partner travel but this year nada. In a way it a helpful move because I can see my PQD'S that count toward my GS status, but for Mileage Plus members who are say 1K the PQD should still count toward their re-qualification next year, not to mention Platinum, Gold and Silver?

Adam
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adambrau
Hi all,

Not sure if this is a change but so far in 2018 I am getting PQM and bonuses for *A flights, but no PQD. Only getting PQD on United metal on 016 ticket stock.

Is this different from prior years? I thought I always got PQD's for *A partner travel but this year nada. In a way it a helpful move because I can see my PQD'S that count toward my GS status, but for Mileage Plus members who are say 1K the PQD should still count toward their re-qualification next year, not to mention Platinum, Gold and Silver?

Adam
The rules are unchanged from past years. You should get PQD on any United flight and on Star Alliance, and MleagePlus partner airlines if ticketed on 016. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html

If these were 016 tickets, you should/can contact MileagePlus to get this corrected.

ETA: I have one AC flight this year, on an 016 ticket -- I got proper PQD credit.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
For *A flights, the ticket needs to be booked on 016 ticket stock in order to qualify for PQD. However, there are times where the travel agent would book 1 PNR with multiple ticket numbers, which would make your *A flights ineligible for PQD.

Also, only UA flights count toward GS qualification.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
OK thanks to the above two posters for the clarifications! My *A flights were booked on 220 stock (LH) as I had various layovers. And I am am aware that UA metal 016 tickets count for GS, which I suppose is all I care about.

Thanks again!

Adam
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1k
United states https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...llars-pqd.html
Most flights operated by a Star AllianceTM or MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with “016”);
Please note the word "Most" . There are some fairly convoluted rules with partner airlines, even if it is on "016" ticket stock. I flew a "016" ticket on Lufthansa and ended up with 0 PQD because it was the "wrong fare class".

Last edited by Hilmar Lehnert; Apr 26, 2018 at 1:31 pm Reason: Fixed typos
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
United states https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...llars-pqd.html

Please note the word "Most" . There are some fairly convoluted rules with partner airlines, even if it is on "016" ticket stock. I flew a "016" ticket on Lufthansa and ended up with 0 PQD because it was the "wrong fare class".
Fortunately, as of 1 March 2018, LH K fares earn PQMs.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:12 pm
Formerly known as mmihalik

Purchased 2 RTW tickets last year; issued on LH ticket stock, but did know about the PQD issue. Fortunately, booked mine on my Pres Plus card, which provides a PQD waiver for my UA MP account. My spouse's ticket was paid for with her UA MP Explorer card. Got miles for the dollars spent for ticket; got double mileage credit because the ticket was biz class, but no PQD, even though 3 flight segments were on UA metal. The rest of the segments were on several *alliance airlines.

Chase had a benefit last year on the Explorer card, that if one spent $25K in the calendar year, PQD requirement for UA Platinum status was waved, so I paid a few bills and project costs on her card instead of mine. Easily met the $25K threshold, and she got Platinum status for this year.

Since she always travels with me, the Platinum status didn't really benefit her this year. We book tickets with both of us on the same PNR, so she benefits from my Platinum status anyway.

Note well: if you take advantage of any of the reduced or "free" airfare offers with cruises or other vacation packages, you also may not earn PQD. When I asked UA about that, they are typically wholesale/bulk rate airfares, and won't earn PQD even if on 016 ticket stock (ours were).

So...having that PQD waiver with my PresPlus card, and the spend $25K on the card with her Explorer card, those are two ways to get past the PQD requirements for earning status up to Platinum.

Unfortunately for 1K and GS, no waivers that I am aware of.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:11 am

I had a flight (bah, back in Jan now) that got messed up on the PQD. Purchased as a J fare, on an 016 ticket, but after I used a GPU on my final (lufthansa) leg, it came up as ineligible for PQD - I forgot about it for a while but called today and they were able to credit my PQD and the associated miles (base+award - both of which are based off your PQD) (It did take a bit of background time, because I think they had to go through a supervisor to credit the miles to my account?)
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
I just bought a ticket on United's site (so 016 ticket stock), with travel originating in Canada. The itinerary doesn't show the PQM/PQD table that it normally shows, is it because it's assuming I don't reside in the US? Any thoughts?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfsouthbay
I just bought a ticket on United's site (so 016 ticket stock), with travel originating in Canada. The itinerary doesn't show the PQM/PQD table that it normally shows, is it because it's assuming I don't reside in the US? Any thoughts?
No. It's just missing sometimes. Has the flight ticketed? If so, try re-generating the receipt by requesting an email copy of it. That tends to make UA's systems re-process things, at which point you may be able to see the information.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfsouthbay
Likely just a bug - have seen this before. and lots of different things (flight not eligible for earning that is, PQD changing somewhat by leg, etc.). In the end, they all seem to, at least IME, credit correctly.

If you look online tomorrow, it’ll probably be back, even on the receipt if you send yourself a new one. Travel originating in Canada (or anywhere outside the US) doesn’t matter, since even for foreign residents, PQD is the base of award miles earned anyway.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
Thank you both! I bought the ticket yesterday and did double check to see that the ticket has been ticketed. I did send an additional receipt, but the information is still missing. No worries, I figure it would still credit correctly, but since this is the first time buying a 016 ticket with travel originating in Canada, I thought I'd ask. Really appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.