Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Simply put, UA has the means to test a change like this before implementing it. I don't deny there's a bean counting aspect, but with a global firm the size of UA, there are beans that need counting. The cost-benefit ratio of continuing to offer complimentary alcohol but lowering the quality level must have been overwhelming. QED.

Plus, while anecdotal, there's the fact that this is the most vocal, complaining bunch I've ever encountered.
Cost must have been the real issue.

I suspect there was a substantial cost savings not just from the brands of liquor, but from switching to a different distributor who may have altered the available liquor selection to accommodate its business model.

And it's Magic Johnson's company, Sodexho Magic, that may ultimately be to blame for a too good to refuse offer to United on the cost side. Delta took it.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Were you able to get any kind of confirmation that this is a systemwide change, not just old stock they're clearing out, or a policy in one or two locations?

If so, I agree that it's a relief!
The bartender said they added the bottles (in plastic ice trays) recently. They still had the three "premium" drafts on tap and Bud Lite.
No idea if this is systemwide; this is the first club in which I've seen this.
May be a market test to see if we scream less loudly.
Doubt that it is old stock clearing out as I don't think they've ever had bottles at this club.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by lensman
If McDonald's served beer, this would be the one.
Please don't insult McDonald's.
McDonald's does serve beer; not craft beer but certainly better than "budlite:"
- In Germany I've seen a range (individual franchises decide) but most recently had a Bitburger Pils (Beeradvocate 79)
- In France they serve Kronenbourg 1664 (Beeradvocate 73/88)
- In Belgium they serve Jupiler beer (Beeradvocate 69/71)
- In Cyprus they serve Carlsberg (Bereradvocate 70/70)

Any of the above -- while all lagers -- would be a marked improvement over the swill they are trying to pass off on us in UA Clubs as the "complimentary" beer "upgrade."
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Any news on HNL selection(s)?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
FWIW, ordered a standard Bloody Mary at the DFW United Club recently.....

"I'm sorry, sir.....we do not have any house vodka today...."

"Ah...OK....make it with Tito's, please....."

"That will be nine dollars, sir......"

"Whatever.....do you have any horseradish for the drink?"

"No sir, we do not......."
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by jlemon

$9 for Tito's at the club, but free in F on the plane
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold

You're a better person than I. Being out of house vodka is not MY fault so there is no way I would pay for it.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
You're a better person than I. Being out of house vodka is not MY fault so there is no way I would pay for it.
Well, I only had one Bloody Mary during my 2+ hours in the club....

However, I really thought it was ridiculous that they would be out of whatever the house vodka was......

Also interesting to note: we had flown into DFW on AA Eagle which offered Tito's on board the ERJ-145. The flight attendant was quite nice and did not charge us for our Bloody Marys. In coach.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I suspect there was a substantial cost savings not just from the brands of liquor, but from switching to a different distributor who may have altered the available liquor selection to accommodate its business model.
That makes a lot of sense.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Cost must have been the real issue.

And it's Magic Johnson's company, Sodexho Magic, that may ultimately be to blame for a too good to refuse offer to United on the cost side. Delta took it.
I think they will save about $15M a year...maybe less (long story short I used $2 per minute per club for 10 hours). Which for United isn't very much but as I said previously, for the person who gets a bonus based on the United Club's EBITDA it probably makes a big difference.

Last edited by andyh64000; Sep 26, 2013 at 9:48 am
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive
Well, I only had one Bloody Mary during my 2+ hours in the club....

However, I really thought it was ridiculous that they would be out of whatever the house vodka was......
I imagine they are gonna be running out of the free vodka for awhile until they get a (plastic) handle on how much they are going to go through.

$9 for a shot of Titos is ridiculous. It is $7 on the plane, in coach, why the 30% markup in a place we pay to be a member??

I think the low grade Vodka is gonna get hit the most, they better start stocking up. About the only complimentary drink that is palatable is a bloody mary, because the BM Mix kills the awful vodka taste. Plus as bad as the vodka is, it is way better than the other complimentary liquor options.

Honestly the only thing I will probably drink now is bloody marys and vodka tonic with about 8 limes.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:26 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I wonder how the distributors work in the various states where the UA Clubs are? In some states, there's not much of a chance to switch distributors as there's going to be one who has that region and one only; you're stuck with them. Others have the prices fixed by the state on booze, so changing distributors is only going to be of limited value.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hill713
$9 for a shot of Titos is ridiculous. It is $7 on the plane, in coach, why the 30% markup in a place we pay to be a member??
Don't forget a mini-bottle is more volume than a standard pour, too.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:11 pm

What size would you say the glasses were? Little smaller than a can, say 10 oz. or so?

Or was this in bottles?
I think the bartender said they were 6 or 8 oz glasses for the beer. I skipped and went with a rum and coke, meh. In the food court, the wok place has Stone brewing by the bottle, a few different options, which will be my go to place from now on :-)
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Open access wifi in DCA, EWR, and SFO yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.