Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by elitefreak
#unitedclubdowngrade
I don't think posting that in here helps much -- if you want to be heard, try social media sites (twitter, facebook, google+) or even review sites for the clubs (yelp, facebook places, foursquare, etc).
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edcho
I don't think posting that in here helps much -- if you want to be heard, try social media sites (twitter, facebook, google+) or even review sites for the clubs (yelp, facebook places, foursquare, etc).
Only way to really make a difference it seems is speaking with your wallet both as it relates to a club membership and to actually flying UA. Hitting the bottom line is the only way the BoD and others will ever make changes to leadership that could result in things like this being rolled back
Old Sep 24, 2013, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Only way to really make a difference it seems is speaking with your wallet both as it relates to a club membership and to actually flying UA. Hitting the bottom line is the only way the BoD and others will ever make changes to leadership that could result in things like this being rolled back
Yes that too...
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Not even close. As another poster pointed out, it's perfectly common for well drinks and house beer/wine at an open bar to be bottom-shelf stuff. This is a tempest in a (10 oz.) beer glass.
But gouging club members when it comes to prices chrged for the premium selections is acceptable? My membership expires in March 2014, and I won't be renewing, after more than 10 years as a member.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dogloverjb
I sent emails to each of the addresses in wiki and got responses from all of them. I replied to those responses specifically asking what I was actually getting as part of my membership. The last agent me a list of all the free services and benefits of the club membership. I responded with details about why these really weren't worthwhile benefits (correspondence below). I don't think these front-line agents can handle the criticisms but hopefully our comments are being passed on and reach the right ears. It doesn't seem like they are responding any longer. We can only now speak with our wallets.

Code:
Hello dogloverjb, 

Thank you so much for your honesty.  I respect your concerns and will also share your feedback below. 

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your travel with us.    

Regards, 

UAPersonxxxxx 
United Club 

We appreciate your interest in United Club.  We look forward to serving your lounge needs in the future.  For United Club information, please visit www.united.com/unitedclub.   

Original Message Follows: ------------------------ 
Thank you for your response UApersonxxxxx.     

•         The complimentary bar service is not drinkable – the brands are akin to the rot gut stuff we drank in college and I don’t want to go back there.  So your complimentary drinks are worthless to me  (and an embarrassment to United).  Especially for those poor people who are paying for business and first class.     

•         The light snacks are really not of any interest after 10 years of visiting UA Clubs and seeing the same items every time.  But at least they are edible.    

•         Most of the other items are good for business people who need those services, but as a leisure traveler I don’t.  In fact, I never needed them as a business traveler myself.     

•         The premium wines you offer are a nice selection but the price is certainly not attractive.  My usual drink, the Rombauer chardonnay used to be $10 and is now $14.  I just saw a bottle in the wine shop for $30.  I can’t figure how you can justify a 40% price increase and tell me I am valued as a customer.  I can get a good glass of wine in a bar in the terminal for less.      

•         Local dining info isn’t of interest in a locale I am transiting through.    

•         The agent assist I will certainly miss, but I would still have access to it for international trips.   

•         Free internet is nice but many airports have this and certainly have paid Wifi available, which over the course of a year, would cost me considerable less.     

The bottom line for me, and probably many others, is that membership in the UA Club is now a big loss.  With a decent complimentary beverage service, and a reasonably and competitively priced top shelf liquor/wine list, I could justify it for the comfort of the Club, snacks and a nice drink.  Now, I conclude that I can get most of the same benefits elsewhere for those few times I don’t have access to Star Alliance lounge.  So unfortunately there is no reason for me to renew my membership.   

The saddest part is none of the recent UA changes are positive and none make me feel that UA cares about me, a 1K flyer, or any of its other customers.     

Thank you for your time.   
dogloverjb
Paid wifi I would likely not use, though.
I can wait.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by edcho
I posted on UA's FB I was not renewing my membership next month. I hated the drink change, but what really cemented this in my mind was seeing how much food is available in OAL lounges that the UC's are a hopeless case. I don't travel enough anymore to make the cost 'dilution' argument because certainly the quality of offerings is DOA. Even the coffee in the morning's isn't flavorful enough to be worth drinking if it was free.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
The purchase prices for "Premium" are way out of line also, even for "airport prices". And we pay a membership fee to be there.
+1. This is the real disgusting thing.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
The purchase prices for "Premium" are way out of line also, even for "airport prices". And we pay a membership fee to be there.
+1. This is the real disgusting thing.
+2. You can get cheaper (and better) wine at Vino Volo.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:21 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
This is absurd. EWR has ONLY "Bud lite" for free.
This vile concoction is not even, technically speaking, a beer.
It is an insult and affront to humanity.
Viz. beeradvocate.com, It scores 42/100 which puts it at the bottom of the world of beer and beer-like beverages.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/1320
BTW, one free "lite" "beer" does not qualify as a "selection."
And to add insult to injury I was flying BF from EWR to FRA -- they are going to charge me for a W#E^$&* beer, when I'm flying BF?

I have written to 1kvoice but I thin we need a massive boycott.
This is not in line with their new "friendly" slogan:
fly the friendly skiesSM
From take off to landing, putting you first.
We're working hard to deliver the products and services you want, by providing the complete travel experience you expect and deserve. It's this commitment that's inspired us to reinterpret our famous tagline fly the friendly skiesSM.
“Friendly” now means more than it ever did. It means being user friendly. In other words, flyer friendlySM. We're giving you an unmatched global network with more onboard product features, better technology and, of course, great customer service.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:49 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Indeed, and now there's a Beaudevin across from the Terminal C UC in ORD. I gave that a shot last week and it seems UA has lost my wine business at IAD, IAH, ORD, and EWR.

I don't belong to the UC for the alcohol, and it's still a better place to sit and work than the terminal. However, if Vino Volo got into the club business ....
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:35 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by dulcamara
I don't belong to the UC for the alcohol, and it's still a better place to sit and work than the terminal. However, if Vino Volo got into the club business ....
I have signed up for Vino Volo's loyalty/rewards program :-:

Can't wait to try them out.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
+3. And glad to see above that VV has a loyalty program. We seem to like those kinda things...
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: CM PP DL GM
Which St Arnolds beer are the serving at IAH
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:37 am

Here is a little Social Media exposure. I wrote to travel blogger/reporter Peter Greenberg about these "enhancements" to get the message out there. He specifically calls out UA's recent changes.

His latest article titled "Is service Declining at Airport Lounges?"
http://petergreenberg.com/2013/09/25...rt-vip-lounge/
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
At least the WiFi is free, I remembered when you had to pay for WiFi in the RCCs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.