Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro

I just got this e-mail and didn't see it posted... I can't get the images to post but it does show how the wifi will work. You need to enter in your mileage plus number

We’re working hard to make
United Club even better

As part of our ongoing efforts to improve your United Club experience, we're investing more than $50 million into our United Club program. In addition to major renovations at several of our clubs, we're also making some small but important changes across key locations.

Expanded beverage program
We're adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products available for purchase, while maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines at our U.S. United Club locations. Beginning September 10, be sure to try regional and local favorites as well as other new items from our expanded beverage menu.

Wi-Fi authentication
To upgrade the overall quality and exclusivity of our Wi-Fi service, we are rolling out an authentication process for accessing Wi-Fi at our United Club locations in the U.S. We plan to start in Cleveland on September 5, San Francisco on September 19, and have the process in place at all U.S. locations by October 1.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I just got that too.... my guess is that this signals the liquor downgrades that have been rumored. Expanded means... what was free now costs and we have new well liquors that will be free. More = expanded. More changes we'll love I'm sure... the kind of changes we've come to expect from the new United

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
From today's "We're investing in your United Club experience" e-mail:
We're adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products available for purchase, while maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines at our U.S. United Club locations. Beginning September 10, be sure to try regional and local favorites as well as other new items from our expanded beverage menu.
I interpret "maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines" to mean the cheapest they can find.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just got that too I assume this part:

"We're adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products available for purchase, while maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines at our U.S. United Club locations. Beginning September 10, be sure to try regional and local favorites as well as other new items from our expanded beverage menu."

Is confirmation of what was rumored that the selection will be watered down and anything decent will be moved to premium purchase level

United's wording here about upgrading drinks (when everyone on this forum is aware that it is actually a MAJOR downgrade) is straight up deceptive. This company continues to find new ways to look sleazy.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:29 pm

yea, notice they said "maintaining A selection of complimentary beers, etc." not the same selection.

downright despicable marketing practice and intentionally misleading language.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got it too and it said thanks for being a member, I am not a member of the club. Was long time ago but haven't been since 2010.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Just got this too and of course the wording and interpretation are very loose. I'm not convinced we'll still see brand name liquor in the well on September 10th. We'll find out!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: UACO Plat/1K, DL Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis - PC, SPG Gold, Colorado Pass
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
I'm not sure how much they can expand on what they already have. This may be the nail in the coffin for my membership.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:32 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Looks like the rumor was based in truth; I just got an email (subject: "We're investing in your United Club experience")

The obvious Orwellian interpretation is:
1. "We're investing in your United Club experience" ==> "Our stockholders can expected higher returns from your United Club experience!"
2. "We're adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products" ==> "Most of the things that used to be complimentary will now cost money!"

Also, note the nice wording of "...while maintaining a selection of complimentary..."? (Bolding mine).

Just in the interest of trying not to be cynical... if this means the introduction of "premium" beers, i.e. good craft brews, then it's not entirely bad. Except that I have to assume that Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Honker, etc. will be removed from the complimentary menu.

Grrrr. Okay, I failed to not be cynical.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Looks like they're going back to PMUA-style login verification too ^
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nevansm
Just got this too and of course the wording and interpretation are very loose. I'm not convinced we'll still see brand name liquor in the well on September 10th. We'll find out!
If it's more than $5/gallon, it will be classified as PREMIUM!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by JAaronT
From today's "We're investing in your United Club experience" e-mail:

I interpret "maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines" to mean the cheapest they can find.
Just got the email too. By "adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products available for purchase", I assume they mean "the stuff that used to be on the house now costs money."

To describe the downgrading of complimentary drinks as an "invest[ment]" and "improve[ment]" is positively Orwellian.

Programs: UACO Plat/1K, DL Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis - PC, SPG Gold, Colorado Pass
Originally Posted by QBK
Just in the interest of trying not to be cynical... if this means the introduction of "premium" beers, i.e. good craft brews, then it's not entirely bad. Except that I have to assume that Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Honker, etc. will be removed from the complimentary menu.

Grrrr. Okay, I failed to not be cynical.
One can always hope. Most times I'm cynical before I get on a plane. If the flight is delayed then it's normal. If it's on-time then I'm surprised. The United Club was typically where I felt would be the same. Maybe not now.

"...maintaining _a_ selection of..." /me thinks this is a hint that the comp. selection is going to change, and probably not in a way that I am going to like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.