Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Imagine that.

I'm sure this is part of the reason for the change, many people don't like this excuse for a beer and either don't partake (cost saving) or buy something drinkable (revenue generator).
Don't forget the "Cut off nose to spite face" group. This group is comprised of those who absolutely detest Bud Light with every fabric of their being but refuse to contribute a single extra dollar to United in the club after the downgrades, so they drink Bud Light anyway out of pure spite.

I am part of this group. If I want to drink real beer, I try to find a local establishment in the terminal.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:30 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fjfv19
Don't forget the "Cut off nose to spite face" group. This group is comprised of those who absolutely detest Bud Light with every fabric of their being but refuse to contribute a single extra dollar to United in the club after the downgrades, so they drink Bud Light anyway out of pure spite.

I am part of this group. If I want to drink real beer, I try to find a local establishment in the terminal.
I already contribute a chunk of change for my membership; there's no way I'm spending a dime more there until they make it worthwhile to do so--and 8 oz pours of mid-level beers (which used to be free) for $3 aren't an improvement.

I suppose I could start ordering Bud Light and then just pouring it out to spite UA.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Just in the ORD UC in Terminal C. The bartender here mentioned today that they were rethinking the beer program. She said she thought they would still charge for it, but it would be $3 for 12 oz glasses. That's at least more reasonable.

By the way, which UC here at ORD is the renovated lounge?
The renovated F concourse lounge at ORD doesnt have taps - only bottles. I suspect the plan to increase to pour to 12oz in clubs with taps is simply to equalize to the clubs without taps that are charging $3 for 12oz bottles already.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by exerda
I already contribute a chunk of change for my membership; there's no way I'm spending a dime more there until they make it worthwhile to do so--and 8 oz pours of mid-level beers (which used to be free) for $3 aren't an improvement.

I suppose I could start ordering Bud Light and then just pouring it out to spite UA.
If Membership amortized to about $10 per visit I guess I'd sometimes pay the current prices; no way I'll give them a dime extra considering what they currently charge just to get in the door though. And I'm highly unlikely to buy any memberships in the future given the downgrades in the included drink and food.

The non-airline affiliated lounges in the US are becoming a MUCH better deal.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
IAD and MCO wifi worked just as before today.

However I see no issues there. If you need to authenticate so that only the people with access to the club so that freeloaders sitting outside the club can't drag down my bandwidth, then this is an improvement.
The only people who should complain are the freeloaders and frankly o have no sympathy for parasites.
Thanks. If the change is simply to make it so that there's an authentication process (preferably one that sticks so I don't have to enter it for each device every time I visit a club) then I'm all for it. However, I can imagine them going back to the cards with the authentication number, to a model where you can only connect one device at a time, or simply to something with less bandwith. Call me crazy, but UA changes don't make me very optimistic.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jfk747
I'll grab as many freebies as I can and not leave a tip!
Well its not the bartender's fault...They're just following the rules. I find it hard to tip half the time anyways because I rarely carry cash around..
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Here in Houston the local paper had an article touting how St. Arnolds would now be part of UC at IAH.

Truthfully I'm not surprised. Delta began charging for non Bud Light back in May. I remember being annoyed that my Sweetwater 420 was no longer free. Oh well. I don't have a UC membership anymore but if I had one, I don't think I'd be renewing.

BTW how many people actually like Heineken? I think I've met 2 or 3 people who drink it.

As to the AC MLL, I've only been in the one on the intl departure side and it is by far the best lounge I've been to in North America.

I enjoy it..
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
WIFI Authentication - EWR

Not here in the EWR UC Club on the main concourse. My BB connected automatically upon entering the club and no prompt for my notebook either.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Imagine that.

I'm sure this is part of the reason for the change, many people don't like this excuse for a beer and either don't partake (cost saving) or buy something drinkable (revenue generator).
Bingo!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:21 am
Suspended

I wonder how much money UC is losing from the beer that no one is purchasing. I refuse to pay for premium booze when I paid my annual fee to access the club.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:06 am

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept. - Oct. 2013

This is what I get for going off FT for a while. Stepped into the IAH UC, ordered a Shiner Bock and was asked for $3. Now I'm trying to decide if a small glass or $3 is a better value proposition than a larger $8 pint outside.

It's not like UC memberships are free. Well, I guess they are for people who get passes and sell them to kettles on eBay.

The selection of beer probably isn't much better at other airline clubs but there is certainly far less value in a membership at this one.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, WN Cargo, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Heh ... Funny thing is, when my membership was due to renew on 8/31 I was planning on not traveling as much as I had so I thought I'd drop it and reconsider if travel increased. Travel never really decreased, so part of me missed it. Then in conversations with another co-worker who informed me of the latest change, all I can say is I'm happy I didn't bother renewing. What a joke.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:35 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Asked at LAX on 10/1 if I needed a passcode. Was told no, it's open. Didn't bother to ask at SFO. It was open there too.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:27 pm

I have no idea if the Bar Tender's info is accurate or not but he has been around for a while (at least 7 years) and generally one of the better ones in the system.

Another customer complained about the changes and how UNITED sucks, etc. (I don't blame the pax it is annoying and I am not a big fan of UA right now) but the bartender said something that I found interesting, Blame Sodexho.

According to the Bar Tender until fairly recently (the bar tender did not give a date, etc) Sodexho simply provided the bar tenders/snacks/etc. but not the alcohol which I am guessing UA still procured. Recetly, Sodexho took over procurement of the Alcohol and apparently got much stricter with pours/etc.

He indicated that Sodexho wanted more $$$$$ from UA to keep the same level of alcohol or things had to change and apparently UA did not want to pony up the money (the not wanting to pony up the money is all on UA as far as I am concerned), so things changed.

Ultimately the bucks stops with UA, but if what the bar tender said accurate, it at least explains the changes.

Again if the info is correct this is the second time that Sodexho was the cause, it was explained to me by somebody at DL that Sodexho raised their rates and forced DL into a similar move.

Dan
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dan1431
...According to the Bar Tender until fairly recently (the bar tender did not give a date, etc) Sodexho simply provided the bar tenders/snacks/etc. but not the alcohol which I am guessing UA still procured. Recetly, Sodexho took over procurement of the Alcohol and apparently got much stricter with pours/etc...
I used to tip at the LAX RCC pretty liberally because the bartenders would pour my drinks stronger/fuller. That went away a few months ago, and while I feel "American tip guilt" over it, I now just pony up $1 for each "free" cocktail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.